Places in CANADA that have mini stuff?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laura&HerMinis

Reaction score
As lots of you know, I adopted two miniature horses. They will hopefully be here next week. I live in Alberta, Canada and there aren’t too many Canadian stores that are just for minis/ponies or even sells mini stuff. Does anyone know of any Canadian tack stores (with free shipping would be AMAZING) that has a good selection of mini stuff? I’d be looking for halters, leads, boots, fly masks, things like that. Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks guys!! Photos of my new babies:60272477-C8FC-4A33-9C9A-2F473811FE97.jpegThis is the black mare, it’s a photo from summer.
Here’s the gelding: C800F45E-73CE-47D1-8BB7-92F32D61E536.jpeg
Again from summer.

Hoping for lime green things for the gelding (Arrow) and teal/light blue things for the mare (as yet unnamed…ideas welcome!!!)

I can't help you with Canadian resources but thinking it will be easier to choose her name when you have her home.. I find that when I start talking to them one of the many names I've been thinking about will just come out of my mouth and I'll know that's it! Quiver is another word for Arrow. She has a really sweet face! Rose and Arrow? If she was mine I'd probably name her Sugar!

I can't help you with Canadian resources but thinking it will be easier to choose her name when you have her home.. I find that when I start talking to them one of the many names I've been thinking about will just come out of my mouth and I'll know that's it! Quiver is another word for Arrow. She has a really sweet face! Rose and Arrow? If she was mine I'd probably name her Sugar!

Oh interesting! I’m hoping that will happen too :) I do like Rose, I was also thinking Bella or Dazzle, maybe Orchid, Echo, Iris (thought that was cool cause of her blue eye, and it’s the iris that’s colored), Molly, Java, Dolly, Pearl (black Pearl) and Meadow. Those are just some of the ones I’ve been liking. When I met these guys, I was taking tons of photos and on the drive back, I looked at the photos of Arrow and I immediately thought, “He looks like an Arrow to me!” No idea why but it struck me as his name! Oh and I also like Violet for the mare😊

I am in Manitoba. There are not a lot of shops selling mini tack in Canada
I have found halters at my local feed and tack shops--not always exactly what I want, but it fills in when I need one quick. Otherwise I have ordered from US vendors and had the stuff shipped. Yes, postage costs a bit but I get what I want that way. Harness, halters, show halters, conchos, blankets--Ozark Mountain is my favorite, Mini Express,.Mr. Mike's Tack Shack.

I am in Manitoba. There are not a lot of shops selling mini tack in Canada
I have found halters at my local feed and tack shops--not always exactly what I want, but it fills in when I need one quick. Otherwise I have ordered from US vendors and had the stuff shipped. Yes, postage costs a bit but I get what I want that way. Harness, halters, show halters, conchos, blankets--Ozark Mountain is my favorite, Mini Express,.Mr. Mike's Tack Shack.

I noticed that the U.S has much more mini stuff…wondering if maybe minis are more prevalent there? Yeah I’m kind of wanting to avoid the postage rates…lol it’s so expensive sometimes!

Try amazon.ca--you can find some stuff on there.

What I have found with Canadian shops--it is often the same products that I buy from the US, but the prices are in Canadian funds. That is okay, until you realize that the Cdn price is higher than the combined total of the US price and exchange. Outside of Amazon.ca I cannot think of any Canadian shop that offers free shipping. (Greenhawk usually has free shipping on boxing day but they don't have much selection of mini stuff). Sometimes so.e US stores offer free shipping but not to Canada--when the border is open, here people often have things shipped to a depot just across the border, then go down and pick up their parcels.

You could try manestreetponyemporium.net. I have some good blankets from them but I haven't had a look around at what else they have. I don't think they have free shipping. Pleasant ridge is fine if you need some cheap halters and other general horsey stuff but don't bother with their blankets, they are cut all wrong. They do have free shipping for over $150.00. Greenhawk has good blankets but just basic mini stuff, I think free shipping for over $150 too. My local tack store orders things for me if I can't find them.

You could try manestreetponyemporium.net. I have some good blankets from them but I haven't had a look around at what else they have. I don't think they have free shipping. Pleasant ridge is fine if you need some cheap halters and other general horsey stuff but don't bother with their blankets, they are cut all wrong. They do have free shipping for over $150.00. Greenhawk has good blankets but just basic mini stuff, I think free shipping for over $150 too. My local tack store orders things for me if I can't find them.

Oh okay, I’ll check those out! Greenhawk has $50 free shipping as I’m sort to close to one of their stores.

How big are they? Sometimes full-size foal, suckling or weanling halters will fit the larger minis (local tack shop so you can maybe try on and not have to mail back to an on-line site). Sometimes foal size blankets fits larger minis.

I’m not exactly sure how big they are, I bought a weanling and suckling halter for my current larger mini and they were too big for him. I’m thinking Arrow looks like he has a slightly longer, more dainty face so may need something different but may not 🤷🏻‍♀️

Jessica. That's what name popped into my head. Does that relate to anything for you?
Quoted from the movie "Who Framed Roger Rabbit", "I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way." Jessica Rabbit said that as she coyly gazed around in a similar fashion to how your mare is peeping out from her mane. 😘

Jessica. That's what name popped into my head. Does that relate to anything for you?
Quoted from the movie "Who Framed Roger Rabbit", "I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way." Jessica Rabbit said that as she coyly gazed around in a similar fashion to how your mare is peeping out from her mane. 😘

Interesting! I’ve heard of Jessica Rabbit but never really watched or read anything about her. That is a cool name!

Yah, thanks Willow Flats. Spewed my drink on that one! 😂😝

It would take a special...CHARACTER....to carry off the name MoJo. If God sends me back to earth as a mini gelding, I think I'd like that as my name. I could be a very fine harness and in-hand obstacle horse, shaking my mane and tail feathers while struttin' my MoJo stuff.🥳😎🐎🦚

Laughed when I saw MoJo. I had that on my list for Rocko but after I got him he was so laid back I couldn't possibly use it! 🤣 He was more like no MoJo!

Haha love that! It was on my list too, but I’m pretty sure I’ve decided on Arrow for the gelding, and it’s not really a mare name in my opinion :)

Hi Laura,
For your Canadian Miniature Horse tack, I would try Small but Mighty (find her on Facebook, Alberta based), Glover equine (Manitoba), South Forty designs (Facebook).
Your luxury high end show equipment in Canada (in the world , actually) is Carriage House Tack & Harness based out of BC. Those are your gorgeous show halter and harness. Louellen's tack is all I show in.
Hashbrowns in Red Deer has miniature horse halters (I dont think they have harness) and I believe Irvines in AB has some mini stuff.
I know I'm missing a few.

Hi Laura,
For your Canadian Miniature Horse tack, I would try Small but Mighty (find her on Facebook, Alberta based), Glover equine (Manitoba), South Forty designs (Facebook).
Your luxury high end show equipment in Canada (in the world , actually) is Carriage House Tack & Harness based out of BC. Those are your gorgeous show halter and harness. Louellen's tack is all I show in.
Hashbrowns in Red Deer has miniature horse halters (I dont think they have harness) and I believe Irvines in AB has some mini stuff.
I know I'm missing a few.
Oh thanks! That’s so cool, I’ll look into those!

Latest posts

Back