Placentitis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albahurst

Reaction score
I would like to hear more experiences with Placentitis. How long after you start Regumate do you notice an improvement in bag size? Does the bag go down to a 'normal' nothing or does it retain a bit of 'puffiness', even though much smaller overall size? Anything else you would like to share.

Peggy, when I have treated for placentitis and started treatment in time, I've double dosed Regumate, started SMZ's and also used Banamine for a few days to help reduce inflammation. There has always been a noticeable decrease in udder size within 24 hours. I keep the mare on SMZ's for a minimum of 10 days, sometimes longer and keep up the Regumate until the mare foals. This has been a successful protocol for myself and others.

Thanks, Becky. I really appreciate all the helpful info you and others on this forum (who have emailed and spoke with me) have provided. I REALLY do believe, without a doubt, that my mare would have lost this foal, if not for the great advice from all of you! I realize we aren't out of the woods just yet, but things are looking up.

I started treatment over a week ago on the advice of some from LB. I am so thankful I did! We have had to increase the Regumate from our original dosage two days ago, but there is a noticeable decrease in udder size now. Seems like the udder would go down with the banamine, but when the banamine effects wore off the udder size would return. I would say that currently the udder has shrunk about 75%. Not sure if I should expect any more shrinkage? As per vet advice (not easy finding a vet who is all for the banamine, Regumate, Tucoprim treatment, I have found!), we have divided the dose into two so that she gets it morning and evening, as it helps the levels stay more even in her system, I guess.

Anyway, I am optimistic we will have a healthy foal in about 2-3 months! The foal is also alot more active the past two days! It hardly moved at all the past month. Have any of you noticed such a thing, too, once you have started treating for placentitis?

Oh, another observation- the mare was in constant 'heat' the past 6 weeks or so. She has always done some of that, even at the beginning of pg, but lately she was acting 'in heat' 24/7. Now, of course, with the Regumate, that behaviour has basically stopped. Have any of you also noticed such behaviour in a mare with placentitis?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back