Pit Bulls Kills Mini Horse Donated to Cancer-Stricken Child

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know in my area there is a law stating that dogs deemed dangerous must be kept in a 6 sided enclosure when outdoors.

Its a shame this poor boy had to lose his precious gift, I can only imagine how heartbreaking that would be.

Seriously people have to be more responsible for their animals! Why in this day and age would anyone let their dogs go galavanting around town! Sheesh I see enough attacked animals, hit by cars, or missing adds at the clinic! We have domesticated them, therefore we are responsible for their well being and the well being of others that come into their presence!!

Ack! I just feel so bad for this child! and to think that its because of some humans stupidity! They need to reimburse the family for the full Childrens wish foundation gift, be fined, make a public apology statement and have some sort of ban placed upon them where they are not allowed to own an animal until they do a series of courses on responsible pet ownership or something like that.

ok, needed to get that off my chest... I am all game for helping that poor little boy.

Cheers

Masako

Sorry if I came on so strong but maybe if you had seen the damage done on a beautiful 4 yr old girls face & chest that I had to witness working in a hospital. This pit was described as a family pet and would't hurt a fly. The girl was sleeping and the dog just attacked her. Dog was destroyed. The girl will never have a normal face either. So excuse me if I'm more concerned with the little boys feelings.

IMO a pit bull and many other large breeds could go over a 4 1/2 foot fence with no trouble what so ever...silly people.

I'm sorry for the loss of the horse, but a taller fence should be used.I work in the animal field and Pit Bulls can jump/climb a 6 ft fence, so can any large breed if determined.
GOOD GRIEF GUYS!!! :new_shocked: :no: How many of YOU have six or seven foot fences to keep YOUR horses in?? The way I read it...the 41/2 foot fence was the pasture fence...not the one holding the dogs in. Did I read it wrong?
default_sad.png
Sue you did quote me darlin ' , and I DID read your entire post .

And as for the "silly people" comment Minimor , I was talking about the people that wrote the article. I don't imply things ... I say them .

And a 7 foot fence will not hold a pit bull or any other large breed in , if they are determined enought to get out.

And all these big post go negative because some people think they are holier than thou .

So sad fot the boy and the loss of the mini.

I have an electric wire on top of my pasture fencing to keep out dogs as well as to keep the bigger horses from leaning on the fence. I hope it will prevent animals in or out. I hope the dog owners replace the mini for this little boy. So sad

The entire thing is a tragedy! HIGHER fence for the mini, for saftey of stray dogs. We run electric on the outside of the fence as well. Please Post if someone is donating a mini or $ towards one I would like to help. I have a colt but he is young and not trained for a 3 yr old to handle.

PEOPLE need to take responsibility period. I also hope these people make the housing situation for a new mini much more dog proof.

don't try to explain it, just bow your head, breath in , breathe out , move on" Jimmy Buffett

Last edited by a moderator:
we have a lot of awesome breeders in TX maybe one has a nice gelding they could donate? it does say they are taking up a collection to get him a new one. Also the one he had was broke to drive. Surely someone has one? I feel so bad for this family! And to think they attacked the father too. Thank god he wasnt also hurt.

I really try to stay out of the "dog" issues but I am totally with Mary Lou on this one. I have taken care of MANY animals that have been mauled by families loose pets in the past. Some of them would totally have broken your heart. I also follow the policy of an old german shepard breeder if its aggressive it gets put down. Doesn't matter whether it was a pit or not it is IRRESPONSIBLE PET OWNERSHIP ON THE DOG OWNERS. I have seen maulings by ALL different breeds of dogs. My fences are geared to keep horses in and dogs out as I live in a residential area. We are also known as the neighbors who will not tolerate ANY stray dog on our property. I am a firm believer of the three s's. Also because of my job I probably see far more of the stupidity of people and what they do with their animals.

I realize that the onus should be on the dog owners to keep their animals fenced in but perhaps a donation fund that could help build a fence that would keep a second horse safer, although of course you can't protect it completely, as we all know that other people can NOT be depended on to keep their dogs penned - just safer.

How tragic.

That poor little boy.

That is disgusting that someones 'pet' is capable of causing such suffering.

It doesn't matter the breed but I will say with 100% certainty these dogs were not owned by 'responsible people'.

Ignorant people owning aggressive dogs is a very dangerous combination.

No one should have to guard their animals from someone elses pet :no: :no:

I certainly cannot afford to fence my entire acreage in tall fences...but am thinking of more electric around what we already have...although that doesn't keep deer out...so I am supposing it would not keep frenzied dogs out either. (I have watched the deer walk right through my electric fence, with hardly a hesitation...although my fencer shows all five lights.)

Bowing my head now...bbbrrreeeaaatthhheeee......

Last edited by a moderator:
No one should have to guard their animals from someone elses pet :no: :no:
No they shouldn't , same goes with our children . But the sad truth of it all is that some pet owners fail to see the consequenses of their irresponsibility and until the dog does bite someone or some thing , the owner will swear the dog is harmless. 2 of my children have been bitten in the face by family pets ... for this reason I trust no dog that has teeth in it's mouth.

The irony of it all is that I work in a business that caters to pit bull owners . We have every type of bull owner in the store, from the very responsible owner to the irresponsible ones .

And FYI the new term for pit bull is " bully" or "bull dog" according to theses breeders. They are trying to distance themselve from the "pit" part and ultimately from the pit bull stereotype .

And the scariest part for me is these "bully" pups are being popped out left and right. Don't know if it's just the "in" thing for my area , but I worry for the safety of anyone that has to live next door to them .

Don't get me wrong , I'm not bashing pits .... I feel VERY STRONGLY about any aggressive large breed dog.

Afterall it was a golden retriever that bit 1 of my children in the face.

Ok, going to work now .... have to feed my babies ...... :bgrin

we have a lot of awesome breeders in TX maybe one has a nice gelding they could donate? it does say they are taking up a collection to get him a new one. Also the one he had was broke to drive. Surely someone has one? I feel so bad for this family! And to think they attacked the father too. Thank god he wasnt also hurt.

I'd love to help, but I don't think I have anything suitable. Nothing is broken to drive.

Lucy

:no: so sad. I will be praying for the young child and his family. I am so thankful the dogs didn't get the father and boy.

How SAD! This is terrible
default_sad.png
If I still had my little Ernie, he would have been a perfect donation. I hope they can get him another mini.

I was wondering about the possibility that the dogs crawled UNDER the fencing.

Many fences are a few inches from the ground. And my experience has been that dogs and coyotes prefer going under obstacles, before they attempt to climb.

MA

I was wondering about the possibility that the dogs crawled UNDER the fencing.
GOOD POINT!! I have certainly seen dogs dig and tunnel out of a kennel, so that is certainly possible. :new_shocked:
default_sad.png

well here at 3:30 this morning I had a german pointer come on my property and chassed my cat, and was barking at my minis, I got out of bed and into the cold and scared him away. My husband and I are FIRM belivers to shoot any dog that comes onto our property, especially if they try and get into the fenced in pasture that I have, I have it fenced to where dogs cant get in, but you never know! We live where alot of people can give a rat's butt of where their dog is or doing, so we handle it our selves. We have too many hunting breed dogs, and pitt bulls and mixes alike running around here. We had a brown pitt try and chase US off of OUR property once, my husband went to go get a knife, and the dog took off in the woods, needless to say Im waiting for him to come back. Because I also have a 2 month old baby that I have to protect.

Back