Pinto Registration of AMHR/AMHA miniatures

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacki Loomis

Reaction score
Hi all, I notice several of you mention having horses that are registered with the Pinto Horse Association. I've visited their web site and have seen the forms but I don't understand if an aged AMHR/AMHA horse would be at the regular registration fee or if it is "undocumented" I think is the term they used.

A description of the how and how much would benefit me and probably some others. Thanks in advance!!

Jacki Loomis

[email protected]

All our minis are registered with Pinto (PtHA) and we are very active on their show circuit here in New England. Shows are lots of fun and the PtHA award structure is the best! It is more about individual achievement than it is about "winning" with lots of possible awards, so something for everyone. Several of our minis have earned Pinto Champion awards and one has her Legion of Merit, even more have ROMs in halter. I earned a Masters Certificate last year (Amateurs age 55 or older).

As long as you have AMHA or AMHR papers that you can send in a copy of (in your name or with transfers), those are considered "outcross" papers and the fee is a max of $65 for 2 year olds and older. Membership is extra.

Pinto has a new program for 2011 that is like a futurity in that you pay to nominate your horses ($50 for a mini) and you get paid for points earned in LOCAL PINTO shows. Going to sign ours up!

I also have PtHA papers on quite a few of my minis and it is very simple. You just have to send the reg. application with a copy of your AMHA OR AMHR papers and four pictures of the horse, instructions are on the back of the application (same photo requirements as AMHR). Make sure to copy front and back of your papers. You pay the regular registration fees with outcross papers so under 6 mos before Dec 31 of foaling year is $20, over 6 mos before Dec 31 of foaling year is $35, yearling is $50, and 2 and older is $65.

Just thought of a couple of other points - at this point in time, Pinto minis don't go by "types" so you can leave that part of the registration application blank.

Also, I think it may be cheaper and easier to register foals via their outcross papers (of course you have to wait for them to come back)than it is to have both the sire and dam registered with PtHA and submit stallion reports to PtHA each year. We have been doing it using stallion reports but may change that in the future.

Feel free to post any other questions.

The PtHA Award Program is one of the best with really nice awards when you achieve the different levels like Champion, Legion of Merit, Supreme or Superior Performance. You can earn these as an open horse, youth/horse combo and amateur/horse combo. We have several ponies that have earned their Supreme Championships and one mini that has a Champion, Legion of Merit, Supreme and Superior Performance. The nice thing about Pinto is it promotes versatility (halter and performance).

As long as the mini you want to get registered already carries AMHA or AMHR papers it won't cost more than $65 to get it registered and sometimes the association will do an incentive thing where you can get your equine registered for even cheaper. The other great thing is you can actually go to a Pinto show and get them registered there (as long as they are already registered with another recognized breed association) and then show at the show.

I have an unregistered pinto Mini filly- can I register her Pinto? She really deserves papers, she's very nicely built.

These are great questions:

Solid color horses CAN be registered if they have a pinto parent, but they cannot be shown in regular pinto horse show classes so there isn't much of an advantage. I believe they can participate in the Open Competitive Activities Program (OCAP) explained on the pinto website at www.pinto.org. That is yet another great reason to register pinto!

The rules keep changing about eligibility so it is best to check with the PtHA office, but last I knew they accepted any horse from an outcross registry if the color shown on the papers indicated "pinto" pattern. I believe the amount of white is 2 sq in for a mini but the best thing is to submit a photo showing the white. For our gray frame overo mare we submitted a foal pic that showed a small white spot on the neck and that was enough. It turns out we later found several more spots though!

PtHA does not like Appaloosa blood and they used to check pedigrees, but they have relaxed that rule for minis and just don't want to see any App characteristics. Some of us purists don't like to see ANY App blood anywhere in the pedigree.

I believe mini mares and geldings can still be registered without other papers. It used to be called hardshipping but apparently that is the "undocumented horse" category with a $100 fee.

I agree that one of the great things about Pinto is their emphasis on versatility!!! Most of the awards (e.g. Pinto Champion) require points in both halter AND performance.

Back