Pintaloosa Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaintedMeadows

Reaction score
One of my mares and my filly have unusual pinto markings on their rumps

and the mare has alot of roaning on her rump but not her shoulders or

neck. Her filly has almost spots with lots of roaning around them on

the top of her rump. Could they be pintaloosa? Neither of them are registered and the woman I bought the mare from said that she wasn't roaned last year. She is 6 this year. She also has a patch on her hip that isn't roaned at all. Just solid sorrel. I can post pictures if it would help. Thanks so much. Oh, and I would love some links to pintaloosa breeders to take a looksee.

Hi, can you post the pictures of her. I would like to see it. It would help to

see them, and maybe then someone can help you.

Vicky

Sure. I should have done this first. The first two pictures are the mare and she is 6.

peachroaning.jpg

peachpatch.jpg

This is the filly

merryweathercolor.jpg

I need better pictures of the filly's back but I hope this one helps a bit.

We have a five year old black and white pinto mare that has gotten a large # of white hairs in her black this year (none before) but has no appy in her background. This could be the same type of thing. There are several other things that could influence the hairs becoming white , including rabicano & sabino (although these seem to appear earlier). Do the horses have any other appy characteristics like mottling of skin, scelera, etc?

jennifer
saludando.gif

Looks like Sabino to me, and the Filly may be H/Z- you can have her tested to see. I do not see any Appy- does she have an Appy parent???

To me they just look like a roan pinto mare and same for the filly, but she has pawprints (all those random spots on her sides). Same thing is happening to my filly, she came to me a solid silver dapple pinto but recently she's been roaning out on her back from right behind her mane, all the way down her back and some down her rear legs! This photo shows just the start of the roaning but after some research I think she is turning out like her great grandsire, Windy Hills Aim for the Heart!

Sinclair (please excuse the pigeon, they're buddies!)

SinclairIndy3.jpg

Windy Hills Aim for the Heart

WindyHillsAimfortheHeartSinclair.jpg

Here's some of the visual pintaloosas we've produced.

Ozzy, at age 3:

ozbodleft0730.jpg

Shaman at a few hours old:

shamanleft01.jpg

Treasure at 4 months, with rump clipped:

treasureright01.jpg

It looks to me that your kids are roaning pintos. Maybe black roan? Horses sometimes roan out as they age. It's not always present right off. Just MHO.

Thanks for the help. Now, could they be black roan? The mare is very sorrel and the filly is bay I would think. I don't think the filly has an appy sire but the mare was bought with no history behind her. She was from an auction. by her previous owner. Neither have any spotting one their genitals or sclera so I guess that means no appaloosa? For homozygous do both parents have to be pintos? I am not sure if the filly has a pinto sire or not but I don't think so. I think he is a silver dapple but not positive and I can't get ahold of the previous owners to find out. Homozygous would be fantastic though!!

I went out tonight and took a better picture of the filly's back. What do you think?

merryweatherback.jpg

Roan is a simple dominant- to get it one parent has to have it. Both your horses are showing signs of Sabino "roaning" True Roan is evident , if not form day one, then at least form the first coat change, it does not arrive this late in life!! Mini Loco- the same for your two- the bottom is almost a classic Sorrel/Sabino, and Sinclair looks to be doing the same, sometimes Pintos get the Sabino around one of their white patches, sometimes it settles on the side in a pseudo pinto marking and sometimes it does what the Sorrel is doing- although I do have to ask, how old is she and is a parent an Appy?? A late arriving Frosted Blanket is certainly not unheard of- I had a mare whose "blanket" did not arrive properly until she was six- it was just visible all the time, but nothing to remark on. By the time I sold her she was actually visually an Appy- eyes, feet fanny etc, all spotted and correct!!
smile.gif

Great info! Thanks. I just found out that the filly is 2 years old and no she doesn't have an appy parent. I talked to a good friend of the previous owner. Her sire is a silver dapple. Mary (the lady I talked too) said that the mare definately wasn't roaned out last year and she is 6 this year. What about that sorrel patch on her hip that isn't roaned at all? Her colt from this year is a silver and he has a dark brown patch on his wither. Is that a hereditary thing. All these neat things that can happen with colors!! I love it! Thansk again for all the help!!

Latest posts

Back