Pintaloosa or roaning

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spellcasterminis

Reaction score
I body clipped one of our 3yr old girls this week. She is a bay pinto, or so I thought. Once I got the hair off of her I found a new white spot on her neck (different then her other "pinto" markings looks like someone did a bad airbrush job) and tons of "roaning" on her hips. Neither Mom or Dad were roans. I do know there is appaloosa/Falabella back in her pedigree. I do know that appy markings can take years to show up. She does have multi-colored hooves, of course she has socks with black spots at the coranet band too. I was getting ready to register her with PtHA. I'm just trying to figure out if she's actually a pintaloosa before I do. Thoughts, comments...

I love the pintaloosa. I have had a few.

The definite signs are the mottled lips (pink and black), sclera (white around the eyes) and check under the tail for "pink spots", : a sure sign your horse is a pintaloosa. The roaning out of the coat could take years. Wendy

Sabino pinto can cause roaning and, I think, white "spots". Pictures would help!

Pinto characteristic is striped feet, the spots around her coronet band, is very common also with pintos..... as for the "roaning" it could be ticking, marbelling which again, is very common of Pintos.

Would love to see pics, i breed/show pintos (not just mini's but Arab Derivs)!
default_saludando.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I think they're fun! I had a mare that I bought white as a yearling. By the time she was two, she was a nice dark silver dapple with new dark silver spots appearing all over the place. Just think, each year, you may have a new horse!!! Hahaha!!!!
default_biggrin.png

That's the fun of appaloosas or pintaloosas, You never know what you're going to "unwrap" every spring!!

Will the PtHA allow horses with known appaloosa coloured horses in the background?

If so, that makes it so hard with the minis, as there is a bit of just about everything in so many of them.

Will the PtHA allow horses with known appaloosa coloured horses in the background?

If so, that makes it so hard with the minis, as there is a bit of just about everything in so many of them.
PtHA does allow minis with appys in their pedigree, even an appy parent, as long as the horse you are registering does not have ANY appy characteristics.

I'll try to get a few pictures of her today before the rain comes in. We've been gone all weekend at the Hoosier Horse Fair. Took the girls in for the 4-H horse and pony judging competition. That was a lot of fun! The girls really enjoyed all the attention.

Latest posts

Back