Pin Worms

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JewelsOK

Reaction score
My yearling mini has been in the hospital with tummy trouble and it turns out he has pin worms. Not excessive, they just found them when testing him (live worms - shudder). What can you experts tell me about pin worms. He has been dewormed regularly by breeder and once by me at the beginning of this month (with Ivermectin Gold) I may have underdosed him as I thought he weighed around 120 and he weighs 138.

Can people catch pin worms from horses? When I was little I remember my younger brother picked up pin worms at daycare and the whole family had to be treated. Is there a different species that infect horses. I can not bear the thought the we could have worms <shudder>! We do wash up every time we come home from the barn!!

I asked the vet, and horse pinworms are NOT transmissible to human - THANKFULLY!!!!

I will be deworming him very soon (want to wait for the bacterial culture to return first - don't want to have too much going on to upset the delicate balance in there). This might be a good time to look into a good probiotic?

Im happy to here your little man is doing well.yes pinworms are bad with young stock I will be praying for him in hopes he starts feeling 100% BETTER SOON.

The same thing happened with my mini mare but I used Equimax. I just wormed her twice with oxibendazole and I think it killed them as she isn't scratching her rump anymore. However she did have a colic episode with the first dose.

Last edited by a moderator:
The same thing happened with my mini mare but I used Equimax. I just wormed her twice with oxibendazole and I think it killed them as she isn't scratching her rump anymore. However she did have a colic episode with the first dose.
Yikes - I can't afford a colic emotionally or financially at this time. I spent so much time worried about my little guy, that I am exhausted today (not to mention $$ that 3 days in isolation at OSU cost). I'm going to read up, but I might try a dose of ivermectin, then a month on daily dewormer or something like that. We did that with this ancient Welsh mare that was loaned to my daughter that came to us in sorry shape.

Hope your mare's colic was mild.

Julie

Yes it was mild she went off per PM feed but I gave her 35cc of kaolin and within an hour she was back to eating. She laid down ALOT prior to the Kaolin (I have a camera on her I can watch on my bedroom TV) and got loose poop, but was much better by the next morning.

Is there anyway the clinic could worm him the day before you bring him home?

Latest posts

Back