Pictures from around the farm, 2015

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

secuono

Reaction score
A ton has happened since my last posting.

We had 8 lambs born, traded rams, bought in an ewe and her ewe lamb, bought a Cheviot ewe, keeping a ram lamb, keeping 1-2 ewe lambs, got a 2nd LGD! Spring sprung! Pond has flourished, got 2 new fantail goldfish for the pond for next year. Did a ton of landscaping. Added many more beds to the garden, moved pigs to plant corn. Sold the mare to a local girl, her mother may train my gelding to ride. And may more things.

Busy year!

Enjoy the pictures!!

3 ponies!

3h.jpg

Spring just hardly started and they're already causing mischief!

4h.jpg

Lambs are too sweet!

bab.jpg

Broccoli/Cauliflower almost half my size! And this one is a cull!

c.jpg

Cheviot, Twinkle-Toes

chev.jpg

We got 3 gerbils. The Three Stooges. Moe, Larry & Curly!!

gerb.jpg

2 fantail goldfish, Magikarp and Golden

gf.jpg

Gelding being friendly towards puppy

hgff.jpg

Some lambs being cute

lamb.jpg

Marshmallow, RR ewe lamb I'm keeping back.

marsh.jpg

Mini from today.

mini.jpg

Tiny mini loving on the rams.

minshp.jpg

Tiny mini from today. Hand shorn.

mmm.jpg

Oinks love broccoli n cauliflower.

onk.jpg

Puppy and the sheep from yesterday

p.jpg

Pond from the other day

pof.jpg

Pups playing from the other day

pp.jpg

Cute puppy from last week

ppp.jpg

Some of the flock grazing from last week

shhp.jpg

shp.jpg

shpp.jpg

truck mascot! lol. Got a new truck, got him a mascot! My car has a stingray.

tm.jpg

Twinkie, RR ram lamb I'm keeping back.

twink.jpg

Surry, bought in RR ewe lamb, and the puppy.

wflam.jpg

Woofers and the random shade panel.

wffs.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great pictures
default_smile.png

O, wow, thanks for sharing!

Can you do some other pics of your pond? How big is it? How deep? type of pump for aeration? We have a really small one in our new front yard. Have to clean it out and want to expand the size. Right now, it's really gross and not large enough for any kind of fish. WE want to expand it for both fish and ducks. Will have to have the same type of man-made bottom - wether a liner or a pool of some type.

Does yours freeze during the winter? IF so, what happens to your fish?

It's about 3,500 gallons, 4ft deep. 10x10 main area, 1ft shelf all around. 4x8x1ft bog that the filter spills into. Waterfall is new and across from the bog. There's another section of waterfall, but DH's coworker hasn't been able to get a trailer large enough to fit it on.

Filter is a 35gal trashcan with plastic chicken wire and several AC unit filter mesh, to catch the small debris.

Pump on it is an ES 8500, 8500 gph, from http://www.highdesertkoi.com/. Also got my priming pot and check valve from their. I believe it's way over-kill, but I plan on expanding the pond to, hopefully, 8+ thousand gallons one day.

Waterfall pump is a small thing from Lowes.

Also have a LIFEGARD/Pentair All-in-One unit. It stays on 24/7, 365 days a year. Winter it helps keep an air hole open, summer I add a UV over the output. Donno where I got the submersible filter, possibly Lowes.

UV light is a Pondmaster Submersible UV Clarifier. Got it from Amazon.

Using an EPDM 45mil liner. From http://www.pondliner.com/

Koi and Goldfish stay in the pond year round. Only some of the plants come into the house. This winter, we got 2-3in of ice on the top. Last year, during the winter mess from heck, we had 5-6 inches of ice and me running around with a pick ax trying to constantly break it up to make air holes for them. The vibrations/shock from that is supposed to kill fish or make them sick, but mine didn't notice and all were doing great come spring. =/

Pond needs to be deeper than your frost line to winter over the fish. With 4ft or deeper being better. Fish slow waaaaay down for winter, almost frozen in time. But they still need good, clean water.

I just got three ducks last night! But they won't be going anywhere near my pond! They're filthy, eat fish & eat plants.

I'll get new pics today and post them.

THANX!! I'll have to copy all that info as I went glaze eyed trying to read it all. Don't know why mechanical stuff does that nowadays - used to work in electronics...

You're pond is def bigger than ours. We just have a little thingy in the ground - about 2' deep in the center. Pretty sure it's one of those shaped things - but has a liner in it and then bricks and rocks around the top/outside with a small walk over bridge over it. I'll get some pics and measurements - but I'm pretty sure that it came close to freezing solid a couple of times this winter, though not completely.

I had no idea about fish and Ponds ............................. When we purchased the property in 2007 it had sat there for 10 years not having anything done to it. It was a market garden for the biggest supermarket chain in Oz, growing carrots and parsley and can you believe I am yet to see a random carrot pop up anywhere
default_smile.png

The pond had an 8 foot wall around the entire pond and a dirty stagnant pond lay down the embankment in the middle. So what did we do ? We cut the entire 8 foot wall down to ground level, dug a creek off it so it runs next to the house and back into the water. We put some rainbow trout and some fresh water red fin in as fingerlings and watched. The dam had a problem with reeds growing for the first couple of years but then we started to notice some changes the we owe to the fish.

The water started to clear up , the reeds became food for the fish, ducks and it really started to transform itself into a beautiful lake.

Ill see if I can find some before and after shots. I may have one of the creek we made that funs off the lake , still yet to complete the gardens around it. We all know that when you live on land that "there is always something to do"
default_smile.png

creek.JPG

swans.jpg

Latest posts

Back