Pictures and DN

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaVern

Reaction score
The change in pictures with AMHR has got me thinking. Not long ago I got a call from a lady that bought the papers on an older horse that I bred. She didn't get the same horse that I bred though. And I told her so. She said, it didn't matter though she liked her and would just keep her home and breed her. So much for my farms breeding. Not to say that the horse she owns isn't better than the one I raised, but it is not right.

The mare did not have pictures on her papers, but it would not make any difference. The only way to stop this is DN and parent qualification.

So I feel that this change my be good for those of us that plan on doing more of both pictures and DN. But it is up us to get the word out to the public that they should want pictures and DN and explain why they are, more desirable.

Oh and when you go to the sale barn, you should look at least a copy of the paper, hopefully with a picture on it.

That is precisely why I think pictures are better and I really do love that AMHA already requires DNA on all breeding horses and they seem to automatically PQ them if both parents have DNA on file since I have never had to ask them to do it but it gets done :D. Hopefully if AMHR starts accepting drawings again, they will realize the need to do the same as A and require DNA.

I don't look for that to happen soon, although the Sweepstakes Deal, sure is a good start. Lot of good stallions done now. It does lend a lot more credibility to the AMHA and I think the Association members should be very proud to belong to an organization where it's members and officials feel that it is important.

Given that in the past I know (or know of) people who have bought solid chestnut horses that came with papers describing a black horse, or a pinto horse, or a palomino horseor chestnut horses with white legs and/or facesI dont honestly think that photos really help all that much. Those mismatched papers did include diagrams as well as written descriptions of the color and markings, but the buyers didnt care enough to actually read those descriptions, nor to look at the diagrams to see what the horse was supposed to have for white markings. I really do wonder if they would have paid any more attention if the papers had photos on them. you dont actually look at the papers and read them for comprehension, it doesnt much matter what they have on them.

As for DNA, if/when ASPC/AMHR decides to require DNA, I hope they will do it the way Morgans did and not the way AMHA does. DNA the breeding stock, and then require all foals to be DNAd at time of registration, with DNA meaning automatic parentage qualifying. I see absolutely no point in doing DNA on the breeding stock and then not requiring the foals to be DNAd until such time as they are going to be used for breeding. That could be a few owners down the line in some cases and by then if the horse comes up as not matching its parents, the current owner has little recourse. He is left with a horse he cannot use for breeding..or perhaps a horse that does not even have papers, since IMO a horse that doesnt match its parentage should not be allowed to keep its papers after its pedigree is proven worthless. If the foal has to be DNAd in order to get papers, it is most likely the breeder (or first buyer) that is applying for the papers. If the foal doesnt match its parentage, it is the breeders problem and that is as it should be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very good point from above, cause what are you going to do once you have it home and it turns out wrong? ----As for DNA, if/when ASPC/AMHR decides to require DNA, I hope they will do it the way Morgans did and not the way AMHA does. DNA the breeding stock, and then require all foals to be DNAd at time of registration, with DNA meaning automatic parentage qualifying. I see absolutely no point in doing DNA on the breeding stock and then not requiring the foals to be DNAd until such time as they are going to be used for breeding. That could be a few owners down the line in some cases and by then if the horse comes up as not matching its parents, the current owner has little recourse. He is left with a horse he cannot use for breeding..or perhaps a horse that does not even have papers, since IMO a horse that doesnt match its parentage should not be allowed to keep its papers after its pedigree is proven worthless. If the foal has to be DNAd in order to get papers, it is most likely the breeder (or first buyer) that is applying for the papers. If the foal doesnt match its parentage, it is the breeders problem and that is as it should be.

Yeah, pq when you register and forget about that going perm. Registered X Registered = Registereded. No Registered on App Hummmm I like it.

So would we have to DNA geldings as well if we did it that way? I can see it more of an incentive to geld the colts so they can be registered without having to go thru the DNA process.

Thinking one sided as a breeder, geldings should be pq'd too as they are what should be out representing what your breeding looks like.

Exactly LaVern. One in all in. Geldings DO represent their sire and dam so if their owners want papers on those geldings they should have to get DNA too. Other breeds require DNA for geldings and I see no reason why small equine should do otherwise.

Back