Picture of Emmy's Eye after the surgery

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gini

Reaction score
Emmy is doing very well today. I am very pleased with the way she is doing. I had to give her a shot today so she's not real happy with me right now.

I did want you all to see the eye. It is swollen but lot's better than it was. The staples will be coming out in about 10 days so we will after about a month hopefully let her go to her permanent home. This has been quite an trial with Emmy but she is well worth it and I'm sure she will go on to a wonderful home.

emmysbeautifuleye2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's so sad about her eye.
default_no.gif
She sounds so sweet too. At least she's getting loving attention so she can move on in life (not living with pain). Good Luck!

My thoughts and prayers for Emmy's successful surgery and speedy recovery!!!
default_luck.gif
default_pray.gif
:pray

Prayers coming her way for sure. There will be better days ahead for her.

Barbie

Awww. She will be fine with one eye. Our first baby Honey, was 6 months old, somehow poked her eye and it had to be removed. The first few days she would circle around and around to the side she had an eye. She just needed reassuring and before long she was fine. Prayers to your Emmy.....and You!

Thanks everyone for Emmy. She is such a trooper. It was nice going out and sitting with her and not having to shove things in her mouth or putting different medications in her eye. I told her that it would all be over tomorrow and we were doing the best we could for her. She has a lot of people pulling for her and with all the prayers and good thoughts I know she will be fine and painfree.

I'll update tomorrow after the surgery and she is settled down.

Our prayers will be with Emmy till we hear she has come home from the hospital.

We have a mare who had her eye removed when she was very young (about a week old I think). She does very well, and has never acted like she even noticed it was gone. We are very careful with her however, as she can't see on that side, and I've noticed she will spook if startled. I always warn people which side is her "bad" side, and we constantly either talk to her as we work with her, so she'll always know where we are, or we are in physical contact. It's really not that difficult a problem to deal with. I know several other mares who have lost eyes due to pasture accidents, and all of them handled the surgery and the resulting changes very well.

I'm sure Emmy will be much happier with her eye gone. I'm betting she won't even miss it.

Emmy will feel so much better! How wonderful that she has such loving people to care for her
default_wub.png
Thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery
default_smile.png

I am praying for a successful surgery and speedy recovery. I know she will do just fine with one eye and yes she has a lot of folks praying for her. She is so lucky to have been rescued and cared for by you!

B

How's Emmy?

Savannah has adjusted well after loosing an eye. The eye is still there, at least a part of it. It just doesn't have fluid in it anymore. She does bump into things occassionally but gets around well for just having the one side. Maybe Emmy needs to move in with Savannah and be her friend.
default_wink.png

I just talked to the Anestesiologist and she said Emmy came thru the surgery like a champ. She did have a repressed breathing but was ok on the ventilator for a while. She was very impressed Emmy came down off the table and is standing there watching everything going on around her. What a trooper she is! I will be leaving shortly to pick her up and I will then talk to the surgeon. I will again give an update when I get home and she's bedded down. Gotta love this little girl! Post again later... Thanks for the prayers for Emmy!!

Great news!
default_wub.png
Let us know how she adjusts to things, I used to ride at a show-jumping barn and one of the big horses lost his eye in an accident but it didn't stop him! He'll still competed and did well in jumping, it just took some time for him to adjust. I'm sure your little girl will do very well.

Ah she is so special and remember she hasn't been able to see from that eye a while now so she'll adjust, she already began adjusting. Sending good healing energy for her and some soother for you my friend. CMHR is a wondrous good group. You need anything you holler!

Thanks everyone! Emmy is now eating and when I turn her out I will get a picture and post on the top post. She is looking quite good this am and I just know this was the right thing to do. She of course is favoring that side but the bute will help.

I want to let everyone know we appreciate all the thoughts and prayers for Emmy she is such a special girl. Again, we are going to try and put her with a group that teaches handicapped children. I have one in mind here in Arizona and hopefully they will be able to use her in their program. Emmy is as bomb proof as they come. She has been handled by children from day one so I believe her purpose in life will be to teach everyone with a disability that they can overcome anything.

Again, I will post a picture of her beautiful face a little later as I want her to eat in peace right now and rest. Yesterday was very tramatic on everyone.

Thank you all!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back