Picture Ideas

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HorseMom

Reaction score
Saturday I have a friend coming to help me take pictures of my stud for his stud ad. I have a basic idea as to what I want to do. I want a head shot, full body, and a moving shot. Do any of you have any tips on getting the best photos that I can?

Heather

I am sooo not the best person to give advice on picture taking but the one thing I will say is be prepared to get down on your knees and take the pictures from there. Minis look like they have very short legs when the pictures are taken from above. Oh and from my own experience if you snap lots and lots of pictures you stand a much better chance of having some you actually like.
default_smile.png
Have fun.

Be sure to bend down or even lay on the ground to get pictures of your minis...since they are so small, the angle you get when standing doesn't do them any good.

Also...choose a nice background, but don't stand the horse too close to something (ie. horse right in front of a bush)....there should be a lot of space between the background and the horse. Try to anyway...I do realize it's not always possible, but looks nice for horse standing pictures
default_smile.png

You can use grain, wrappers or anything noisy to get the horses attention so there ears go forward. Mirrors also work great if the horse is interested. If your taking pictures of a stallion, another mare will get his attention as well.

Try different angles...like this one I took:

DSC03420.jpg

And here is an example of of background far away...

DSC03465.jpg

DSC03455.jpg

(Horse in the picture is my cousin's stallion, Fighter).

Good luck!! Hope they turn out great and be sure to share!!

Ditto to the above! Get down to their 'level' for the best shots and if you've got a safe fencing or extra pair of hands use a mare to get your boy's attention, just watch out for Mr. Willy (may need edited out if he makes an appearance! lol) Have a simple but pretty background, too much clutter in the background can draw the attention off the horse
default_smile.png

Great advice, also, pay attention to light and where the shadows fall. You don't want your horse's side to be dark, you want features to stand out. Also, this is just a personal opinion really, but when I'm trying to get pictures to show off a horse's action I like to do a trot, especially if your horse has NICE action! It's easier to get a good trotting picture as the beat for the gait is 1-2 1-2 as oppose to a canter (1-2-3, etc).

Oh and again, watch out for background!!!! I've taken a really good head-shot before only to realize later that my horse has antlers.
default_rolleyes.gif

default_luck.gif

We used to do videos of the horses and then take the still frames off the video to get just the right picture.

in addtion to the comment about lighting. If your friend/you are useing a digital camera, chack to see if any part of your horse is falling in shadow, you can use a white pecice of cardstock, or foam core to bounce light back onto a subject. It is a make shift verson of a refecltor that most photographers use.

Also it is important to be aware that thses images may be croped later on so leave some room around the subject.

If you plan on editing out lead ropes after you should try to keep the lead from crossing over the horses face or body, it makes it lot easier to edit.

Latest posts

Back