Pictoral essay from Haven Hill HDT

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Pam

Reaction score
Went through all our pictures from last weekend, and there is not ONE of Al or Susan. Since we all competed in VSE and didn't bring our cameras down I can sort of understand it, but still!! Al and Susan are the NICEST people and let us stay with them for the weekend. They have a wonderful place and a whole bunch of beautiful minis. I'm going to try to get them to adopt me--I promise I'll do the cooking :bgrin .

We left Friday in very warm (90 degrees) and humid weather to be greeted by clouds of mosquitos at the Good Hands Driving Center in Navasota, TX. Great. We had done minimal clipping on our two wooly bears. Happily, a storm front blew in that night with much cooler temps and a stiff breeze. Sat morning dawned cool (50 degrees) clear and crisp with 20 mph "breezes" that meant NO MOSQUITOS!!!!! VSE went last so Patty was able to get some photos at the cones course. The grounds were rustic but well laid out--my biggest complaint was the VSE 20X40 dressage arena was an afterthought so was VERY rough and difficult to drive in. The people were great and the whole event ran smoothly with 40 entries total.

Refresher--this event is in three phases: Dressage, Cones, and Marathon. Your dressage score sets the bar. You can't improve your score with cones or marathon, you can only lose ground with penalty points. Your goal is to get a good score in dressage and go clean in cones and marathon. If your dressage score isn't so hot you hope the leader knocks down some balls in cones, blows a hazzard, or scores time penalties in marathon.

Dressage:

HevanHillCDE2006mp033.jpg

the judges stand:

HevanHillCDE2006mp026.jpg

I *gasp* had the best score for dressage (50.25), with Al second. Patty scored higher than me under one judge and got CREAMED by the second judge--she felt Misty was too small and showed uneven gaits on the rough terrain. Duh. Sunny was the tallest/most horse like mini there and that was a huge advantage for her with our esteemed judge. Hey, I'll take breaks where I can get them and she did drive a really nice test.

Cones, very long course set on a hillside. Definitely made it more challanging:

HevanHillCDE2006mp022.jpg

HevanHillCDE2006mp010.jpg

Misty and Patty--look at the stride on that little girl!! They had the second fastest time; we beat them by less than 2 seconds. BTW, this was their first time to compete in their new custom Lignite cart (single seater, 46" shafts with metal wheels):

HevanHillCDE2006121.jpg

Sunny and I--she loves this event more than anything we have ever done. She turned in the fastest time for the entire training level:

HevanHillCDE2006014.jpg

So, by the end of the first day I was in first place and Al was in second. If I could make it through the marathon course with screwing it up, we could get our very first overall win. We headed back to Al and Susan's and turned in early.

AlandSusansHouse011.jpg

Day 2. Marathon.

Again, VSE's were last to go so Patty went down and got some pictures of the higher level horses in the water hazard. The original estimate was for 8" of water in the pond but the heavy rains from Fri night had the water up over 24". Not sure what they would have done if there were Prelininary level minis!! The Dartmoor ponies ended up having to swim to get through--what game little ponies! Their navigator almost had to jump out and push them through.

The Darties getting ready to go out:

HevanHillCDE2006mp047.jpg

the Belgian cross team:

HevanHillCDE2006mp069.jpg

the Fresians coming off the bridge:

HevanHillCDE2006mp060.jpg

in the water:

HevanHillCDE2006mp063.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, VSE marathon. All I have to do is not mess up. So what do I do? get lost THREE times!!!! Thank goodness they have an incredibly slow time for VSE to do marathon (9 km/hour) or we wouldn't have made it. I was a wreck by time I got done, and had to push HARD the last 500 m. There is nothing worse than driving in the middle of field looking for a gate you KNOW is supposed to be there. Or be within sight of the End gate and realize you have missed the turn at the top of the hill and need to go back to get gates 24, 25, and 26. I made time by 40 seconds. Many people told me Sunny is ready for Preliminary level. Maybe she is, but I'm not!!!

So, in spite of being directionally challanged, we managed to win. Al was second, an awesome donkey was third, Patty was fourth, Sandi Costa was 5th in her first time out and Susan was 6th.

Patty and Misty

HevanHillCDE2006096.jpg

Sunny and I

HevanHillCDE2006022.jpg

If you have ever thought about trying this, GO FOR IT!!! The carriage people are the greatest and they love helping newcomers. Training level is just that--Training.

Some parting shots:

bridge going out to cones and dressage

HevanHillCDE2006mp006.jpg

a Pony Club outrider--these kids did a great job and were beautifully turned out!

HevanHillCDE2006mp021.jpg

a Hafflinger in the pasture--this shot is for you, Susanne

HevanHillCDE2006mp051.jpg

last but not least, my new Shetland Michigan's Blue Cobalt. He came along for experiance, and I swear his brain grew three sizes over the weekend! He didn't compete, but he got out to see everything. Look for him in 2007!

HevanHillCDE2006mp043.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks I really enjoyed your pictures and story. It looks like you all had a great time!

Oh- WOW, I want to do this!! Now, how do I get them started over here- how did you get VSE's started in the States???

Jane, I'll do some digging. The first time Sunny and I competed we were in the small pony division and had to carry a navigator on the marathon (actually not a bad idea for me, as it turns out :lol: ) We are still the equine step children at many events, including this one. The minis are slowly but surely proving they can handle the same courses as the full size horses. The organizer apologized Sat am because we were going to have to do the full 4.3 km marathon course--he hadn't had time to lay out a 1-1.5 km SHORTER course for the VSE. Holy cow!! Lucky break for us! There is no reason we can't do a full course--every one of us made time and passed our vet check. I'm hoping we get our pace pushed up. At 9 km/hr Patty jogged her 29" mini over the coure and walked in every hazard--and made time easily.

Sounds like you had a great time. It looks like alot of fun. Glad the cooler weather drove out the mosquitos!

~Karen

Awesome pictures! I went there last month for a clinic- everyone was wonderful. I remember seeing that halflinger too!
default_yes.gif
:

I am planning to go next year.. I can't wait!

Fabulous photos and write up Dr. Pam! You look terrific and the host club did a wonderful job! Kudos to the Pony Club outriders!

Oh, that's wonderful! Congratulations! :aktion033: I knew there were some events coming up in TX and was hoping someone from the forum would be there and give us a report. I think I'm jealous of your weather though, mosquitos or not. It's so wet up here that my horse looks like the business end of a mop. :lol: We're pretty much out of it until spring.

Was there a professional photographer who might have caught some pictures of Al and Susan?

How did Patty like her new Lignite cart? It sure looks great with Misty. That stinks about the second judge but even in the ADS I'm afraid it happens sometimes- judges are only human, after all. At least the other judge liked her! Misty is a neat little horse as is Sunny.

Congratulations again on your win and on doing so in spite of your "navigational challenge." :bgrin I LOVE your new gray fellow, he's gorgeous! Can't wait to see him next year.

Leia

Thank you Leia and everyone! The Lignite is great and handles like a dream. Patty's biggest problem was psychological. The wheel base is so narrow and the cones were set accordingly--and it freaked her out. She KNEW she had the same clearance she always does, but it looked like she had to do do "Eye of the Needle" driving.

The pictures of Patty and I are by a group called Digital Express--they are all over the place all weekend, and we got the CD with both our pictures, free and open use, for $80. All the other pictures I posted were taken by Patty. Al has been by here (I saw you Al!!!) and I'm hoping he will post some of his pictures.

I love seeing your pictures Dr Pam as always.
default_yes.gif
: Looks like you had a lot of fun!!

Have been wanting to get to Happ's VSE for a whole lot of years and have never been able to go.

Need to win the lottery, so I can buy myself horse transport!

Dr. Pam,

I love seeing your photo's! i must admit i'm sooo jealous though! lol SOMEDAY i'm going to live closer to CDE's and be able to do them..that's more my thing! LOL I event big horses so combined driving just has a great appeal to me with the mini's! i've always thought they should do something like eventing with mini's and was glad to hear the last few years up and comming events! it's so exciting!

Fantastic!! :aktion033: Man.. I gotta try that sometime..

All of you looked fabulous!!! :bgrin

Suzy Hooper

Show Horses by Suzy

Fresno, CA

I'm so glad you posted pictures - we ended up going only on Sunday to watch, and missed much of the driving although Susan & Al gave me a great tour of the marathon course afterwards. I plan to be there next year - it looks like so much fun! We have a small group here interested in doing this, so look for us in the future.
default_smile.png
You all looked great, I think we will have a lot to learn. Dr Pam, tell me about your easy entry with the wood wheels. Is it a Jerald? I'm looking for one and found a beautiful cart at A Silver Penny Farm, just not familiar with them.

Jan

I might point out that of the 6 VSE (actually 5 VSE's and 1 VSA) entries there were no cone knock downs and no marathon penalties. This includes Sandi who was doing the event for the very first time.

Tough crowd. :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

Latest posts

Back