Pics of Spirit Trotting - pic heavy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

StarRidgeAcres

I'm sure you all can tell I love Spirit...OK...I'm totally smitten!
default_wub.png
But with that comes barn blindness, so I'm wondering what others think about his movement and would it be a waste of money to get him some driving training to see if he could do it. Thoughts?

spirittrot1.jpg

spirittrot2.jpg

spirittrot3.jpg

spirittrot5.jpg

spirittrot6.jpg

spirittrot7.jpg

spirittrot8.jpg
spirittrot9.jpg

BTW, I have thick skin so it's OK to be honest. I'd appreciate the opinion!
default_saludando.gif

Ummm in a word...YES YES YES YES YES...truly a moving maching just by his pics IMHO. He seems very strong off his rear, which is why he is so nice in front with his movement. The only thing you may have to work on is impulsion, cause if you look at the pics sometimes he "leaves his hocks behind" meaning he isn't quite engaged. BUT that is remedied by driving and then he will get stonger behind and use his hocks better (when pic snapped his hock will be up and under him).

I'd have him broke to drive and showing in a heartbeat...nice nice horse. PS How big is he???

Kim

WOW... he looks incredible!!!! I am so proud to own his son (who is a moving machine too, even my big-horse vet was way impressed with how big he moved LOL)

Can't wait to see pics/video of Spirit tearing up the driving arena!!!

Thanks guys. I'm glad to hear it although I know NOTHING about driving. But I'd get him a trainer anyway, so I wouldn't be the one training him, er, screwing him up!
default_rolleyes.gif

PS How big is he???
Kim
Kim, His papers say 31" but I'm eyeballing him closer to 30"

Barring any size issues, my answer would be: "Are you kidding me?!?!" OF COURSE he's driving material!!
default_new_shocked.gif

Good lawd almighty, woman.
default_rolleyes.gif
*LOL* Get that boy in harness.

Leia

So Gorgeous Parmela, Oh my god! He looks like a little farry tail! WOW

I second Leeanas post...

Parmela, Its actually illegal to have too many gorgeous horses in one place...I think you'd best put couple of postage stamps on a baby or two once they arrive and send em on down...I LOVE HIM!

Oh! Some more pictures to save for Flirt's file
default_smile.png
:)
default_smile.png

He is gorgeous!!!
default_wub.png
:wub
default_wub.png

I think he'd look outstanding in harness. However, I know for me, I have to keep the horses "pegged" for certain jobs. I used to want them all to drive, all to show, etc., etc., etc. And I can only do so many things at once. So, I think he could do it IF that is what you want to spend time on
default_yes.gif
:yes
default_yes.gif

Umm, yeah I would stick him in driving lol. If you don't you have one kick butt liberty horse. He is gorgeous.

Thanks guys. I wasn't trying to be sarcastic about it or asking for compliments. I know literally nothing about driving or what makes a driving horse, so I was asking for opinions.

I've heard that just because a horse can trot doesn't mean they will once they're in harness, is that true?

BTW, for those of you with his babies, I have heard they all seem to also have a big trot but I guess none are old enough yet that anyone has actually put it to the test.

I thought he was beautiful standing still, but my gosh, now I am really in love. The only thing he is missing (in my opinion!) is pinto spots!!

That is my kind of movement!!

Parmela,

What you've heard is true I would say. Just because a horse can move big in the field doesn't necessary mean he/she can when in harness. What you may think would be an open pleasure horse may turn out to be a country horse. Or perhaps nothing at all.

If Spirit were mine, he would definitely be headed to a trainer to see exactly what he can do in harness.

Parmela.......HE DOES DRIVE! They use to drive him all the time. I might have a picture..........

If I can find it I will send it.

Now I don't know if he would be a country horse, open driving or whatever because I can tell you also that just because horses trots big in a field doesn't me they will trot in harness. We call it being "allergic to leather"
default_laugh.png

BTW.........he looks fantastic.

Carol

Last edited by a moderator:
Parmela.......HE DOES DRIVE! They use to drive him all the time. I might have a picture..........If I can find it I will send it.

Now I don't know if he would be a country horse, open driving or whatever because I can tell you also that just because horses trots big in a field doesn't me they will trot in harness. We call it being "allergic to leather"
default_laugh.png

BTW.........he looks fantastic.

Carol
Carol,

What do you mean HE DOES DRIVE??? Who taught him? When?

I've heard that just because a horse can trot doesn't mean they will once they're in harness, is that true?
Some horses simply don't have the mindset for driving, others don't have the strength to pull AND float at the same time, and I imagine still others simply don't understand that they're supposed to show off when they're in harness too. And ANY horse when first put in harness will lose that natural grace- they need to relearn how to move with the additional burden of the cart and all those harness straps around them. Given correct schooling and a chance to build up some muscle most of them will regain their balance and a mediocre mover may even improve OUT of the cart once they've been shown how to use their hindquarters.

We call it being "allergic to leather"
default_laugh.png
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
I love it.

Leia

Latest posts

Back