Pics of Coco set up ...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeana

Reaction score
I've finially started working with Coco agian on halter skills. He was supose to go to a local open fun show aug 3rd but things have been so hectic and we didnt make it to the show but we have the Sandusky Co. fair show coming up at the end of this month so i've started halter skills with Coco agian. Also started getting him in shape last month i think he's looking pretty good. Started sweating his neck a few hours each night and his throatlatch is starting to look cleaner and were getting some results. I think we will be ready at the end of this month.

But i'm just curious if i could tell you what i see and then you tell me if i'm anywhere near being right, now im still learning about confirmation and ballance so work with me here lol. If im completely off please let me know, i just want to know if im anywhere near being right.

CocoHalterJuly2.jpg

Okay first thing i see is i think he has nice lenght to his neck but his throatlatch could be cleaner. I think his shoulder is angled well but his neck just looks like it ties in odd, might be because he is still a bit chubby. I dont see him being over in the knees and his legs look straight in the front. He doesnt look to toe out or in, that looks well. He looks nice and deep in the girth but his chest looks a little narrow. I think his tailset looks good but i still dont understand a good tailset compared to a low tailset, i'm always off when it comes to tailsets. I dont think he is butt high. His hip looks good and well developed. He is not sickle hocked but i should have his back hooves about one more hoof lenght back. His head is not the arab type and is a bit big. His ears are nice as well. He has nice expression (other then the ears being back) and his bite is right on. I do think he needs to work up his shoulder so he is more ballanced throughout, his hip and barral make the shoulder look allot less developed so working up some more muscle upfront would do him well. He also has a nice healthy shiny coat.

Am i anywhere near being right or am i way off?

Thanks!

I am not good at over all balance so I wont say anything about that.

I dont think I would take more weight off. But instead muscel him up more and just tuck him. He looks to be in a good weight(at least at what I like), but just lacking muscel.

Okay, this is what I see.

He has a very steep shoulder. His neck ties in fine (or so it seems from this picture) but it is the angle of his shoulder. Other than that you are pretty straight on. He has nice straight front legs and is slightly gooserumped. You are doing a good job with him!

Thanks Jessica!

There is something about the shoulder and how the neck ties in that really doesnt look right to me, i just couldnt think of the what was causing it or what it was called
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, this is what I see.

He has a very steep shoulder. His neck ties in fine (or so it seems from this picture) but it is the angle of his shoulder. Other than that you are pretty straight on. He has nice straight front legs and is slightly gooserumped. You are doing a good job with him!
Ok,dumb question I guess,but then again there isn't any dumb questions huh? What is the term gooserumped refering to? Thanks!

Okay, I Ms. Meanie
default_rolleyes.gif
: But Shoes, Shoes, Shoes! Your gonna loose your toes girl! At least if you are going to take pictures, put on some runners! Please Leeana.. Also his head looks wrong because of the way you are holding him; do you ever see Erica or Jill or Lyn leading/baiting/holding their horses like that? No, and I have seen you do it in almost every picture, even shows. Hold your hand Below his chin, and keep it straight! Now I'll get off my high horse, but please Leeana, I'm only trying to help, and it will work. Every one else has done the over all thing, so I done
default_rolleyes.gif
: Sorry!

T.C. Miniature Horse Farm, that is when the horse's butt is higher than their withers when they are standing square. With Coco set up like that, it hides that fault, which is good, but it is there.

I think you've got him figured out pretty good. I do think his shoulder angle is a bit steep, but I also have to say that the steep appearance is made worse by his markings--he's got that dark patch at the front, and then the smaller dark patch up by his wither; and straight up and down is that white area. The first impression is a very straight shoulder, so you have to take a second, better look to judge the shoulder accurately.

His rump is not what I would call gooserumped. It does drop off a little but is not the high peaked/sharply dropped off rump that is truly a goose rump.

Okay, I Ms. Meanie
default_rolleyes.gif
: But Shoes, Shoes, Shoes! Your gonna loose your toes girl! At least if you are going to take pictures, put on some runners! Please Leeana.. Also his head looks wrong because of the way you are holding him; do you ever see Erica or Jill or Lyn leading/baiting/holding their horses like that? No, and I have seen you do it in almost every picture, even shows. Hold your hand Below his chin, and keep it straight! Now I'll get off my high horse, but please Leeana, I'm only trying to help, and it will work. Every one else has done the over all thing, so I done
default_rolleyes.gif
: Sorry!

T.C. Miniature Horse Farm, that is when the horse's butt is higher than their withers when they are standing square. With Coco set up like that, it hides that fault, which is good, but it is there.

Thanks!!! I always wondered what the term for that was! :aktion033:

midnight star stables said:
T.C. Miniature Horse Farm, that is when the horse's butt is higher than their withers when they are standing square.
That is NOT a gooserump.
default_rolleyes.gif
: That is being (follow the logic here) "rump high." A gooserump is one that is angled steeply downwards from sacrum (point where the pelvis joins the spine) like you'll properly see on many draft horses. This can be visually confused by a low or high tail set, but the fact is the horse's outline will drop sharply down no matter how they are standing.

Leia

Leeana you and I both do the same thing, I am forever wearing flip flops out with the horses. :bgrin

I know i should wear actual shoes but its just so much more simple to slip on some flip flops and head outside in the summer. I look forward to summer for that reason lol ...its fast and simple. I'm not really that worried, most of my horses have decent ground manners so i really dont worry.

I bate using treats so i cant have my hand flat, my horses will give me no neck without a treat (at least not the neck i'm looking for). After i get them set and get there neck i normally do flatten out my hand after i give them the treat and work from there. Its just the way i train my horses and my 'method' i guess if you would call it that. Everyone has different preferences, thats just mine and its worked well for me so far in the ring.

I agree that the head tilt is not a good thing.

Try holding your treat with your thumb and fold it into your palm. Show the horse the treat, bring his head up then out, then take the treat and go underneath the chin.

Latest posts

Back