Picking out a Mini.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palindromebaby

Reaction score
Hi everyone! My husband and I are interested in adding a mini to the family. We already own a full size horse and she is my pride and joy. I have plenty of experience with horses 10+ years and while I have taken care of more than a few minis I have never shopped for one. What we are looking for: driving or driving potential, in hand showing for the fun of it, and if my nephew could ride/lead line the little one I would be tickled! As far driving we would like something big enough to pull a cart with both of us. In hand I would like to be able to do okay but winning isn't the goal. The goal is to have another equine that my husband can play with and show while I am showing my big girl. We would be doing open shows locally so I wouldn't think it would have to be registered?

If you were looking for a mini to do what we are looking for what conformation flaws would you steer clear of? What height would be minimum? Any other advise for what to look for in a mini that wouldn't be the same as big horse shopping?

Thanks!

Well, aren't we all looking for the perfect miniature horse?!

33-34" would be minimum for driving. Smaller ones can drive, but IMO a little larger is better. Look for large eyes that are forward-looking--this is beneficial because of blinders. Large nostrils. A little cow-hocked is okay for driving but beware of a low tail set.

Keep us posted, and good luck!

If you are hoping to put two adults in the cart then bigger is better as far as the mini goes. Maybe even consider a shetland pony or similar. Broke to ride and drive and also in-hand showing... I hope you have a generous budget. There are lots of good breeders who will have options for you. Check out the ones who have banners at the top of this forum. Good luck in your search and welcome to the forum! I look forward to hearing about your progress.

Welcome to the forum.

With what you have on your wishlist , I agree with Major Clementine in looking more towards a Shetland or even a welshie, that way your Nephew can be lead and have a ride.

Dont be afraid to ask for a trial (if the current owner agrees) and make sure you request a vet check.

Keep us posted on what you decide
default_smile.png

Check your show rules regarding if they need to be registered of not. I show at open shows and at some they need to be and at others they don't, it depends on the particular show series.

For driving, I also would look for a bigger mini, there is a difference in what my 32 in and 34 inch mini can handle.

Disposition is the one thing I won't compromise much on when looking, I can overlook certain conformational things, but a nice,steady, honest personality is a priority, especially if I am going to be driving as I am far from experienced in that area.

Good luck in your search!

ETA: not to jump the mini ship, but Ryan is right, welsh ponies are awesome too.
Check your show rules regarding if they need to be registered of not. I show at open shows and at some they need to be and at others they don't, it depends on the particular show series.For driving, I also would look for a bigger mini, there is a difference in what my 32 in and 34 inch mini can handle.

Disposition is the one thing I won't compromise much on when looking, I can overlook certain conformational things, but a nice,steady, honest personality is a priority, especially if I am going to be driving as I am far from experienced in that area.

Good luck in your search!

ETA: not to jump the mini ship, but Ryan is right, welsh ponies are awesome too, I have one out standing in my barn ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering about a Shetland but again I don't know if there are any shows that they could be in hand or just a driving class. I would love a Welsh but will be boarding where my big mare is and mini board is half the cost of riding size animals so we are going to stick to something that falls in the reduced board category.

I agree about temperament especially with a little one. I have known some that were basically let run wild because they were small enough to man handle if needed.

How does this colt look? 36 inch grade 2 years old. So he would get to hang out for a while before any real work would be done but since he is only broke to lead we would have plenty to do.

whiteponycolt.jpg

He actually looks quite nice, though we are not supposed to post pictures of and ask opinions on horses we do not own.

I would say this fellow has definite possibilities for what you want/need. 36" is a very nice size for driving, and if this guy has the right personality he should work out very well for you.

Hi everyone! Going to bump this thread up with another question. How do you see under winter woolies? I am still casually searching and of course this time of year I am getting wooly photos and some sellers don't have any sleek photos available.

You should be able to see the basic structure of his head....long nose or short, small eyes or large......large or small ears....

Other things to look at are how his neck connects to his chest. You want a defined chest area. (Length of neck is hard to judge in winter.) At the other end, look at how his tail is set. With the body, is there a slope to his shoulder? Is the area of his shoulder close in size to his hip? And of course, there's legs and teeth to check....... Lots to check.

I agree. Even furry you can tell alot. You could ask to see the bottom of the hoof to see if it is well shaped with a nice wall. My farrier has to rummage around in the hair to find the hoof, but it's in there!

Thank you. I guess I am just having a hard time visualizing them without the fluff and with some exercise. ?

In truth it can be difficult to judge a furry mini, especially in photos. A good number of people would not consider buying just from winter photos-- They insist on summer/clipped photos. If you look at the horse in person at least you can put hands on and judge what is hair and what is actual structure. Winter hair can ruin conformation of a quite well built horse--i have some here that are well conformed horses but right now they look like furry dumplings even if they aren't especially fat. I honestly would not buy a Mini from winter photos alone unless I knew the breeding well and felt reasonably sure the horse would likely be built true to his breeding.

I'm very interested in a grade mare. Owner says she is currently 36 inches and will be 3 in May. How much more would you expect a mini to grow after 3?

They can still grow some but usually not much. She will probably not get taller than 38".

We have a Shetland that was brought perm at 38" tall. We measured him resently and he is 39". He is 7-8 yrs so done growing for sure.

Oh my! Newest development is my barn owner where I board just took in two minis from a less than ideal situation. She says I can have one if I think one would suit my wants. Very shy right now but both took a few small cookies from me. Apparently they hadn't been messed with much recently and it took half an hour to capture them. While not thrilled about the trailer and change of scenery she says they didn't offer to kick or bite.

It costs just as much to board a free mini than it does a high dollar one so I am asking myself if the "risk" would be worth it. Surprisingly their feet look pretty good for most likely minimal care. Didn't push the envelope tonight to pick them up since their lives were just turned upside down but no slippers like truly neglected feet. These guys are also tiny! I am almost thinking 32" would be about right, the mare let me snag her halter with some bribes. I have all winter to work with a project...

Sounds promising for you
default_smile.png
Only advice I want add, would be to take "everything" you do with the potential mini nice and slowly.

Regarding judging a mini visually with a winter coat- you NEVER can , you must always run your hands over the body.

Latest posts

Back