pic of new mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StellaLenoir

Reaction score
Apache018.jpg

These pics are from a few weeks ago at her previous home. I think she is very very cute!

She is very friendly and likes scratches, and attention.
default_wub.png

So far I pretty much have her seperate from everyone else. Can I get some tips on introducing her to the rest of my small herd?

I have 2 other mares, and 1 gelding who just turned 1 true year old. My horses are usually laid back, not aggressive to each other. But what amount of posturing, is normal when new horses meet?

Can I get some examples of other peoples adding a horse to the herd stories? Like what is normal horse behaviour as far as herd order?

My 3 have been together for a year, and when I introed Rainbow to Silver it was just the 2 of them and they were reunited mom and daughter. SO it went smooth for the most part.

This is Chocolate Thunders first time seeing another horse! (besides mom and sis)

This new mare is a bit smaller than my others. She is 30-31 inches and Rainbow and Silver are each 36 and Chocolate Thunder is growing but about 31 right now.
default_wub.png

Of course I want her to be happy and everyone get along so any tips on making that happen please share!!!
default_saludando.gif

edited to add

THANK YOU again for letting Ruby come to live with us!

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on your new mare.

As for introducing her to the herd, this is what I do and it has worked very well for me.

I usually pick out a mare or horse that is not real aggressive but not low horse in the pecking herd order. I put this horse in with the new horse and let them bond and become friends. This usually takes about a week. Then I put the two back into the herd and keep a good watch on them to make sure one is not being to aggressive with the new one. Usually the new horse will stay with or near the one that it has already bonded with. Make sure you don't have any stalls for the new horse to get corned in by the lead horse. Since you only have 3 and if your lead horse is not real aggressive I would try putting the new horse and the lead horse together. If all goes well after a week then put them with the rest of the herd.

Good Luck.

thanks for the advice it sounds good, I did let her meet my lead lady Rainbow, and after a few minutes of walking in circles.

Rainbow walks up : : ; Ruby walks away:::: and so on.

But they got steadily closer together

and then they were very close

all the while they were eating hay!!

She also met Silver who is my lower mare. She Silver actully kicked out at her with her back legs!
default_new_shocked.gif

They were however veerryy far away from each other lol!

Silver wanted to really intimedate Ruby. She showed her all her tricks!

But if I told her to stop Silver did! So she made up for being a poop.

After a few times of this Ruby now just walks away if Silver heads near her. Which is EXACTLY what Rainbow did to Silver when she first came.

The more dominat one makes the other mare walk off. Right? Silver just does not want to be the lowest anymore. Now they seem all fine together. I do not think I will leave them together all the time yet in case.

Ruby is so sweet! She is a talker! I love that. When I fed I didnt see her as she is lower than a feeder wall we have I said Ruby where are you and she answered right back !!! TOO cute I think she is going to fit in great.

thanks for the advice, it helps !!

She is such a cutie! Congratulations! What I usually do is quarantine the horse for 10 possibly 14 days first (I have made one or two exceptions, most notably for my Thera and Miss Kitty since I knew very well where they were coming from) after that I will pasture or paddock the new horse right next to the group she will be going in and then after a few days I will move a horse over in with her each day carefully observing= thiis has alway worked well for me and I also use this method to wean foals except in reverse. Mares and foals next to an empty pasture/paddock- take away one mare and put in adjoining pasture/paddock. I take out a mare every few days untill all that is left in the original pasture is weanlings. A bit more than that to do (moving feed and water farther away from adjoining pastures) but in 28 yrs of raising quarter horses and 6 yrs of miniatures these methods have worked very well for me.

Good luck for your new girl!

Latest posts

Back