Photos of your harness(es)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susanne

dB
Reaction score
I'd love to see photos of your harness or harnesses and hear all about them...what maker, why you chose what you did, what kind of driving you do, what you love or hate, what you would like to change, etc., etc.

Any closeups would be greatly appreciated.

73_0SADDLEPAD.jpg

HERES MY FIRST HARNESS, THIS WAS SO HARD TO FIND FOR ME, BECAUSE OF ITS SIZE, ITS TINY, AND I LOVE IT, ITS FROM MINIEXPRESS, AND HAS A LOVLEY RED TRIM WHICH SUITS TWINKLES WHITE COAT AND MY NOSE ON A COLD DAY LOL

cc_0buckleoffharness.jpg

27_0teardropoffbridle.jpg

51_12mynewharness.jpg

1c_0STAMPOFFHARNESSS.jpg

IVE NOW GOT THREE HARNESSES !!!!! THERE LIKE POTATO CHIPS LOL

i was so worried about this fitting, the girl whome i bought it from was very helpful, she measured every single piece for me, and it was a wee bit loose but ive got it sorted now,

its very easily cleaned, and made of good quality leather, with patent, and brass buckles, i like the fact that its a FINE harness so it doesnt over shadow my stallion whos tiny, a big clumpy harness would loose him i feel,

i only do social driving, not trials or off road, so this is perfect, it didnt come with breeching, which i have now sorted and is being made as we speak

IM LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING EVERYONE ELSES HARNESSES, MAYBE YOU COULD DO ANOTHER ABOUT CARTS ? AND SEE EVERYONES CARTS

LYNDA

i also have a biothane harness in patent with stainless steel fittings, as it is easily maintained, and i have a leather one being made to fit at ozark,

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not think I have a favorite at this point.

Maggie's main Harness is a Zilco. Bridle fits great, the gig saddle is wonderful. Breast collar is a bit big on her width wise. But would fit perfect for Mingus.

Only improvement on the main harness is.. I would like a deep V collar for my type of cart.

The Empathy collar they have, will not work for it, as the line of draft is wrong.

Only other thing I do not like is the reins. I hate the Zilco reins.

Ended up having the Dr Cook bitless bridle folks, make me a pair of Beta reins. They are my Favorite ones!

I have ordered a "Freedom Collar" from Camptown harness but do not have it yet. Hoping it will do what I need it too.

The other Mini Harness is a Hybrid leather work Harness from Robinson Harness... I had made for Maggie. Otha will make you anything you want. It will work for the cart but it is mainly used for Draft work and now for starting Theia in harness.

It is of average leather, very good for the price and has held up very well with some very hard use. It just has a flat saddle, so a very good pad is needed.

The side check bridle works well with minis. Side check is needed because I have lots of grass and a gimpy body.

Both harnesses have chrome metal parts as it is much easier to keep clean. Zilco harness is best for this clime and ease of care. Do not worry about the leather getting too wet and then having to spend a bit of time oiling it.

Though if I had the money.. I would get a Freedman's.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my new Camptown harness with the Freedom collar
default_smile.png
That collar and the bridle are awesome! I've NEVER been real impressed with a mini harness before I saw this one
default_smile.png
I don't have any pics yet, but plan to have Craig take some this weekend.

Jessi

I don't really have any decent pictures of my harnesses but for what it may be worth, I can tell you what I like about them.

My Lutke show harness is my favorite. It's the nicest piece of tack I've ever owned. It is so delicate looking (but strong) and gorgeous. It is almost like a whisper on a horse. I was lucky and found it a couple years ago on the LB sales board. It had not ever even been on a horse and saved me a few hundred dollars.

I have a patent leather (not rolled) show harness from Mini Express which was my first show harness and I like it but it cannot compare to the Lutke in terms of elegance. I think I paid about $500 for it in 2002.

Then I have two biothane patent looking harnesses. One with silver / nickle fittings and one with brass fittings. I feel they actually look almost as nice as my patent show harness from Mini Express and you cannot beat the ease of clean up -- top wrack of my dishwasher does the trick! I think that both of these ran around $200 new.

Then the fifth harness I own is a beta biothane harness which looks more like plain (not patent) leather. It is a nice harness and will last me a lifetime of around the yard, through the woods and in the field. It's a pretty harness but the least delicate looking of the five. It also cleans up easily. This one was $225 back in 2001.

I have a Lutke that I got at Nationals this year, which I love the look of, it is easy to clean and adjust and just so purty LOL
default_wub.png
: Here it is close up, it is a rolled one.

steve-lutke.jpg

I think they look nice and refined for showing....

stevethanksgiving6.jpg

I also have a patent show harness from Mini Express that I got earlier this year, it is not rolled and it much plainer but I like the way it look on Bud and it is of nice quality as well. I think it was around $400.00.

buddrivefrontOBFsized.jpg

All of our harnesses are the patent leather show harness from Mini Express. Hopefully we'll be getting a Lutke next, but I really do like my harnesses from Mini Express. All of our driving Mini's have their own harness(makes it easy and requires no adjusting from horse to horse) and all of them wear the patent leather show harness from Mini Express. The one in the photo below is 5 years old and shines up like new. They are easy to clean, are not stiff leather that takes forever to break in, and shine up like new! I've been very pleased with mine and would not hesitate to get another one. The only thing I didn't like about it was the noseband that comes with it. It doesn't fit right, and was just a hassle, so we bought the show noseband and browbands from Starlake to use on the harnesses. We use our harnesses for showing and also do some light trail driving through flat, open area's and they work just fine for that too. The only other thing I'd change about it is i'd REALLY prefer not to deal with the wrap straps,etc....would much rather have the french tug type and buckle in breastcollar.

Herculesharness.jpg

~Jen~

I have a very thick and burly harness that I train and do mostly obstacle stuff in and and a finer one to show in, but I much prefer my thicker heavier harness, and I def. trust it ten times more! I dont have any pics at the moment but will take some as soon as I can!

Question about Lutke Harness..

As a tradionalist who loves rolled leather (aka Freedman Harness) which is mucho $$ but well worth it (one backpad is over 50 yrs old and I still show in it)...I am used to brass fittings. I notice that Lutke embroiders his stuff (not for me thanks). Would there be such a beast as Lutke harness with real brass fittings (ie browband is patent with brass chain overlay, plain blinkers (or a nice tiny brass monogram). All the trim (if a different color) is done in patent. I just think embroidery is a cheap route to use on expensive harness (Lutke is not cheap)....soo my question is, can I get it traditional per se??

Here is a picture of a round blinker bridle with brass chain brow band

520bridleb.jpg

And a Lasalle harness done in Road pony style (seems to be the type mini horses wear the most of)

lasalleharness.jpg

Thanks!

Kim

That's a nice harness, Kim- I like Lynda's (Shane's,) too- just take off the check rein, martingale and blinkers and add breeching and I'm away!!!!

Seriously, I do like these fine harnesses- I do not have one, all four of mine are "working" harnesses- two are leather, one is a very good nylon- padded tree etc- and two are nylon "training" harnesses- oh that makes five- look I am concussed what do you expect??

Anyway I really REALLY do need a good show harness- with the option of breeching- and from someone who makes it themselves as said I would want a few alterations- so, who do you recommend????

Kimmy I think you can get pretty much whatever you want when you order from Lutke's, it is custom so you can sit down and pick out what you want.
default_yes.gif
: You certainly don't have to have any embroidery done if you don't like that option...

Pammy

This is a Mini Express harness, the patent show harness that comes with coloured trim (I like plain black
default_smile.png
), it's very fine and elegant and unobtrusive. I also use a ME Therapeutic back pad under the saddle, it's tidy and stays clean. This little guy is so funny - when we are just exercising around the paddock at home, and he's in his "civvies", he's just "Ho Hum, Bla Bla, Boooorrring!", but when he's in his show gear, he positively beams, and drives with ears pricked all the way!
default_wub.png
:

harness1.jpg

harness2.jpg

I also have a plain leather pleasure harness from ME, it's quite suitable for the showring also, just not as refined. Has patent on saddle & blinkers.

See now when I ordered my Lutke I asked for the rounded blinders and didn't get them. I love the harness but some of the stuff I asked for didn't happen. They had some excuse as to why I couldn't get the rounded blinders. Oh well. I only use it in shows anyways right. HAHAHAHA

outlaw

I'm such a dork...or perhaps it's because I'm a design snob, but along with certain functional requirements, I HAVE to have round or D-style blinkers/blinders. although I know no particular shape is better...

Beautiful harnesses...and gorgeous horses! Wiccanz, no wonder your little guy is proud of himself -- he looks great!

l got my daughter both the show and the pleasure Lutke harness not long ago. Haven't had a chance to try them out yet. l have talked to a few people who just loved them and also a few who don't like them much. l'm hoping to get one for my driving stallion later this fall l know he'd look good in one the pretty boy..

bothlutkes.jpg

l got my daughter both the show and the pleasure Lutke harness not long ago. Haven't had a chance to try them out yet. l have talked to a few people who just loved them and also a few who don't like them much. l'm hoping to get one for my driving stallion later this fall l know he'd look good in one the pretty boy..

bothlutkes.jpg
which is which?
default_wub.png
: do you have more pics of them side by side?

The Long awaited Camptown "Freedom Collar" has arrived today!

All I can say is....it is one very, very nice looking, well put together Breast collar.

Of course I can't drive right now...and will not be able to until I heal...sure will be hard to wait. So want to put it on Maggie and try it out.

It is truely scaled down to fit mini's and it will give Maggie the relief she needs and will allow her to pull better.

I now plan to buy Theia's harness from these folks... hopefully by next fall.

Susanne, if the rest of this harness is this well made,,,you should check this one out!

Here is a picture of the Freedom collar.

77_resourceguide003.jpg

I think you have seen pictures of my Zilco harness? If not let me know. Can also show you the leather work one....if you would like to come over and visit some time.
default_yes.gif
:

Thanks Susanne, he's a cool wee horse and we love him dearly
default_wub.png
:

You people are so lucky to have all that beautiful gear so close at hand, we pretty much have to import anything that's worth having, and the price of shipping adds a big chunk to the bill. :bgrin

Shari, I've got a Freedom Collar here right now and Kody's been wearing it. I posted pictures on the Whiteman's Winter Drive thread, or at least I thought I did.
default_wacko.png
: I've been propping the Camptown Harness ever since they came out so for the five millionth time: They are HECKA better than Zilco for the minis! Go buy one right now, you silly girl!
default_yes.gif
: I've told Susanne the same thing if she doesn't want to drive breed shows. If she does she needs to go leather like the Ozark Mtn. carriage harness, but the Camptown Sport/Chimacum Sport Harness (same thing) is by far the most comfortable and well-designed synthetic harness available for the minis. :aktion033:

Also, I like the look of the Mini Express theraputic pad Wiccanz has. That's what I wanted but when I got my waffle pads from Smucker's thinking they were the same they were WAY oversized. I may have to go shopping again....

Leia

When my Ice mare sells, I will have more cart and harness money. The Freedom collar I bought has the matte leather front and the other stuff for the backing. If Susanne wanted to do breed shows,,they would make it in patient leather and they have that option with the Freedom collars.

Have a couple of challenging hills on my Cart path that we canter up. Can't wait to drive Maggie in the FC!

Hope it has been working out for Kody.

Of course...along with me wanting a Portland cutter (or Albany)Sleigh, new harness for Theia...maybe another harness for Maggie... and either a Lessing or Shetty carriage....that is if I am healthy long enough to finally get Theia's training finished...

Oh boy.......I have a shopping wish list a mile long! :lol:

Latest posts

Back