Photos from the fire...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWA

Reaction score
Some have asked if I took photos of the recent forest fires here in Paisley. Initially, in the earliest hours of the first day it started, I only took one photo. This is the photo I took of it, from my front porch. It was very small, but still quite alarming in not knowing where the winds were going with it at first. It was only a few acres at this point.

PaisleyFire1.jpg

From there, though, VERY FAST, it grew in size, to where I was just way too busy to stop for any pictures, with trying to make preparations with all our horses, our dogs and any important household stuff I could pack, hitch up and load. I was here all by myself, as hubby was way down in Cape Canaveral with our friend, and my daughter in law was away all week in Texas for her cousin's wedding.

It wasn't until hours later after hubby was home, and we got word that the winds direction kept it going away from us, thankfully. After knowing that, we knew we were "ok", and all the homes in front of us were no longer under immediate threat, so then we took a couple more photos of the helicopters going over the top of us as they took water from our lake behind us and from another just to the west of us. By then, it had grown to over 1000 acres.

PaisleyFire2.jpg

PaisleyFire4.jpg

PaisleyFire5.jpg

Then, on Saturday, we took these...

PaisleyFire6.jpg

PaisleyFire7.jpg

PaisleyFire8.jpg

Everyday since last Wednesday, when it started, the helicopters have been out all day, every day, from morning to night, still fighting it. It has been held back in the Federally protected zones where they are limited as to what vehicles can be permitted on the grounds, so the county fire services are no longer able to assist. Only federal and state services can access the area so they are limited to the air crews over top of us and a few ground crews. It's still burning, but they are gaining containment at least, according to the state forestry guy we spoke to today out there. Thank heavens. At night, the smoke seems to hover low down on us still, with the dampness of dew points, but hopefully as dawn nears it'll lift off us again for through the day tomorrow.

All day today, the helicopters were out in force NON-STOP again, so we are hoping it's been greatly minimized as of today, but I guess as tomorrow comes, we'll know if it's still going in threat of the forest or not....if we have the helicoptors over top of us again tomorrow. Hopefully they were able to get it distinguished today though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember several flying trips to the barn where I boarded a few years ago when the fires were so bad there. I REALLY wish there was a way to send some of this midwest rain down there to you guys!

We lost 10,000 acres just up the road here, looks like a war zone there, literally- it's on Fort Carson, the military base., but all of a sudden, the green grass is popping thru again, the trees are ruined though, but it will all work out in time.

Oh gosh Tanya...If I seen that coming at me I think I would have went to another state. I would have been TERRIFIED. I felt so sorry for you being home alone. I know when we get storms I am really afraid of storms and if my husband isn't home I almost go into panic mode.

Thank God you are safe.

It is sad to see all those trees burnt. I hate to see that...I love trees.

We lost 3 large trees about 2 weeks ago here in MO from straigt line winds right in my front yard. Thank God my husband was home.

During the first five years we were here, there were six fires, either on our property or one adjacent to it. None of them were as dramatic as that one though! So glad you all are safe and sound.

Our warmest thanks, again, goes out to all of you!
default_wub.png
Those first couple days were scary, but thankfully no one was hurt, and no homes were lost. The forest, however, is (or was) still burning. The helicopters were still out every day since it started last Wednesday. Right up to last night, they were overhead in force against it. Thankfully, so far today I've not seen them, so I'm "hoping" it's finally fully distinquished as of today.

Latest posts

Back