Photos, designs, and advice for mini jumps needed.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Indian Acres

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am newly getting back into minis and need to set up jumps for my horses. My husband is gone a lot for work and is home this week so he is willing to build some for me while he is here. Any photos are greatly appreciated as well as advice for making them more versatile and easily to deal with.

Even decorating ideas for them are welcome, or photos from shows that had jump set ups you really liked as well.
default_smile.png

Thanks

There's a lady on here that has some really neat ones made. She uses half horse shoes to hold the jumps up.

But basically, you want a sturdy side poles. So poles that can stand upright without assistance (a good base on them). Then make some sort of holder to hold basic PVC pipes or small dowels for the jumps. They need to fall out fairly easy so that your horse won't get tangled up in them. Make sure you don't use nails or anything your horse can cut themselves on if they do happen to hit it (nails to hold up the jump part). Wood is cheaper to build, but PVC is nice becuase it can be taken down and they sell the cuplings right at the plumbing store. Also, you want to have different heights to put your jump poles on. So make a few different holders at different heights on your poles so that you can adjust to the horse.

Good luck!
default_biggrin.png

Oh I have some good ones..I will for sure post them when I can.The storm outside is making it take forever to load pics right now

I've just send you a PM with plans for portable PVC jumps.

Hi there.I wold really like the plans as well if it isnt too much trouble..Thanks!!!!

Hi Diana,

I would also like the plans please
default_smile.png
Everything I already have is so HEAVY....PVC would be perfect for me!

THANKS!!!!!

oh PULEEEEZE could i have a pm of the plans tooooooooo
default_aktion033.gif
default_laugh.png

I got her message, but the plans didn't come through. OR I don't know how to get to the attachment. lol I can't wait to get them. Thank you very much for the help.
default_smile.png

Hope everyone got the plans and were able to open them. Send me your email address and I'll send them directly to you.

Got them! Thank you very much.
default_smile.png

Still looking forward to any photos people want to put up as well.

Hope everyone got the plans and were able to open them. Send me your email address and I'll send them directly to you.

I would love a copy of the jump plans. email is sheluvs2read at aol dot com

Here are some pictures I took on my phone of jumps made from PVC pipe
002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow Julie , those PVC Jumps look easy to make.. Can I use your pictures on the LB Info pages??
Aren't they great! I don't mind you using the pictures and I don't think the actual owner of the jumps would mind either. She is a college aged girl that shows AMHR. I think she said her dad made them for her. I wish I had gotten more and better pictures, but it was starting to rain.

I would also love a copy of anyone else's designs.

Our local club just made a set of PVC jumps this year. Ours were very much like those except we used the PVC for the rails as well as the standards and used tape in various colours to create a bit of contrast. Also instead of just having feet on each standard we had both sides joined so it had a built in ground rail. We used tape to mark every 6 inches on the standards too so it would be easier at a show to select the next height. If I ever find pictures I'll post them.

Just a couple of points about the PVC jumps, as shown, and as Reignmaker is suggesting.

The jump cups shown may be too deep for the poles. If the cups are too deep, the poles will not knock out of the cups easily enough if hit. If they are too deep, the only way to knock the poles down is to knock over the entire standard. The poles should be able to be knocked out of the cups with a firm hit, not too easily, but not too difficult.

Also, if the cups are cut straight across, beside being too deep, they will sharp pointed corners, unless they are sanded down. So, be sure to sand off any points or sharp edges, as it looks like has been done in the photos.

For safety, with any jump that has jump cups, do not have any 'empty' cups above the highest jump pole. It is just a hazard to the horse. If you have extra cups, put them below the highest poles.

I am also concerned about the safety of PVC jumps when the two standards have a fixed crossbar (as the groundline). If the fixed pole is out in front of the jump, and the horse knocks the standards over, the groundline will suddenly be flipped up underneath the horse. This can also happen if the horse stops at the jump and then attempts to walk through it, or just jumps halfway. If the pole is fixed to the standards, then it can catch the horse's hind legs and cause it to stumble or cause injury. All the poles should be separate, so they can be scattered if the horse gets tangled up in the jump. It is less dangerous that way.

Agree 100% w/ Julie (R3)! Some excellent design ideas pictured, but with the changes she suggests--shallower 'cups', be sure to round the cut corners...no empty jump cups, and definitely do NOT 'connect' the standards for a 'built -in' ground pole--that could be dangerous! Check the projection of the carriage bolt as pictured; Rulebook says that jumps are "not to include pegs, nails, bolts,etc."--but you *might* 'fudge' on that for at-home use; just be sure the bolt end doesn't project past the outer curve of the 'other side' of the PVC standard, for safety. With some HD wire, you could probably construct a 'hinge hanger' such as commercial, fullsized jump cups might have, though.

Also suggest you consult the current AMHA Rulebook; it is always a good idea to practice at home with the parameters from the rulebook-i.e., minimum width of jumps, diameter of PVC crossbars, etc. The rules aren't all that extensive, but should be consulted, IMO.

Margo

There's a lady on here that has some really neat ones made. She uses half horse shoes to hold the jumps up.
Hey! I don't know if this was me or not, but I have pictures of half horse shoe jumps.

The lady I board with's husband made these. They used them with their big horses and after measuring I found out the bottom is roughly 18 inches and the middle is 24 inches. They are light weight and work great, plus a great way to "recycle"!!!

Tee1-1.jpg

I love the pictures of jumps everyone! Someday I will find the time to make some PVC jumps.

I am also concerned about the safety of PVC jumps when the two standards have a fixed crossbar (as the groundline). If the fixed pole is out in front of the jump, and the horse knocks the standards over, the groundline will suddenly be flipped up underneath the horse. This can also happen if the horse stops at the jump and then attempts to walk through it, or just jumps halfway. If the pole is fixed to the standards, then it can catch the horse's hind legs and cause it to stumble or cause injury. All the poles should be separate, so they can be scattered if the horse gets tangled up in the jump. It is less dangerous that way.
Good point. I'll bring this up at our next meeting. This is not something I have spent much time considering since I do not have a horse that does hunter/jumper at this point and have never given the class a great deal of thought. Safety is always a concern and we use the jumps when we host our spring show plus when we have fun days etc. Not much fun if someone's horse gets hurt because of the jump construction. We have already dealt with the depth of the jump cups and rounded the edges for safety tho.

Latest posts

Back