Photo Gallery

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome- just beautiful photos, thanks for sharing.

Lisa

You have always taken such beautiful photos Ken and I have a few of them here that you gave me. You are just getting better and better!!!

You have always taken such beautiful photos Ken and I have a few of them here that you gave me. You are just getting better and better!!!
Thanks Laurie. Being retired has giving me the oppurtunity to persue what I like to do best, which is raising my minis and going out on photo shots.

KenBen

Very, very nice Ken.

It helps to be living in a beautiful part of Ontario
default_rolleyes.gif

Have you started a business taking photographs for horses for our web pages?

Very, very nice Ken.
default_rolleyes.gif

I have given that some thought, but don't like the travelling thats involved. I would have to charge too much to make it worth well.

Gene I notice that you have Ohachie now. I have a beautiful mare from him, Wee Acres Hocus Pocus. So far she has given me to bay colts that are small and refined.

Northern Ontario is a beautiful part of Ontario. Some of the areas that I go into are logging roads and there are no cottages. Lots of high country and pines. There are many lakes and rivers to explore.

KenBen

Very, very nice Ken.
default_rolleyes.gif

I have given that some thought, but don't like the travelling thats involved. I would have to charge too much to make it worth well.

Gene I notice that you have Ohachie now. I have a beautiful mare from him, Wee Acres Hocus Pocus. So far she has given me to bay colts that are small and refined.

Northern Ontario is a beautiful part of Ontario. Some of the areas that I go into are logging roads and there are no cottages. Lots of high country and pines. There are many lakes and rivers to explore.

KenBen
O Hatchee gave us 2 appie fillies and gave a beautiful appie filly to Brian and Ruth Sammons.

His babies are "lookers"

Yes too bad you aren't closer and I could give you a few jobs
default_saludando.gif

You have some beautiful images there. Can I ask what type of post processing you use? Some of them have a very unique look to them, especially your landscapes, and #6 from the end. It's very pretty.

First of all I use a DSR camera. Not expensive. I have a Canon Rebel Tsi 12. Payed about 900.00 Cdn. All landscape shots are taken with a tripod. I set the camera on a 2 sec timer and push the shutter when ready and 2 sec later the photo is taken. All shots are taken either at daybreak or late evening to get the soft light.Most of the water scenes have a shutter speed at about 1 sec and f-stops around F 22 or more for depth of field. Also you must use a polarizer filter to reduce glare. I shot in raw format, which means that when I get the photo into the computer I must process it with Adobe Phtoshop. I am a firm believer in light and shadows when I compose my photos. Let me tell you you don't always get good photos. So many things have to happen, proper lighting clouds in the sky and good contrast overall.

Ken

Let me tell you you don't always get good photos. So many things have to happen, proper lighting clouds in the sky and good contrast overall.
Oh, isn't that the truth!

Thank you for sharing your info, Ken!
default_smile.png
I wish I had the schenery around here that you do, your photos are just beautiful! (I'm so jealous!
default_whistling.gif
)

I shoot with a Nikon D700, and I'm still learning how to use it. I always use a monopod when I'm photographing horses and people, my lens (70-200mm 2.8) gets to heavy when I'm carrying it around.
default_wacko.png
I do use photoshop, but I only have Elements 6........hoping to add Lightroom soon. I also, like you, shoot in RAW format, and I find I don't blow the highlights as often as I did with JPG. Right now I'm taking some courses on equine photography, hoping to improve. I need to add some additional lenses to my equipment, and hoping the funds show up here soon, though I doubt that will happen. Maybe next year!

I just found something yesterday that I've quickly become addicted to.......textures! Have you ever tried them? I love the way they antique a photo!

Here's a couple samples of them applied to the photos.

(I hope it's ok to post these on your thread........if not, just let me know, and I'll remove them.)

This first one was also my first attempt at replacing a sky. The photo was taken on a really overcast blah day.

_GLB15361.jpg

_DSC7132x0.jpg

_GLB0723a2.jpg

Here's my other addiction........black background photos! Have you ever done these? They are so much fun!

_GLB1509.jpg

_GLB0536.jpg

Oh good heavens are those stunning!! Soggy Bottom Ranch! Boy I wish I could afford a photography class. Just this february I purchase the Canon D50. I love love love it, but I can't say I have the knowledge to really bring the camera to its full potential. Wow. Just breath taking. I really love the effects added.

Your photos are very good Geri. I don't use textures at all or black backgrounds.Though I love the vignette effect which can be achieved with camera raw or lightroom.I reccommend the books by Scott Kelby for photographing and learning Lightroom.

[SIZE=10pt]I really enjoyed seeing your photo gallery and the beautiful images.[/SIZE]

It helps to live in a beautiful place, but it takes an eye and brain with both technical and aesthetic abilities to produce those wonderful photos. Thanks so much for letting us view your gallery.

Little Miracles..........sincere thanks for the comments! It's been a process of learning, but it's really enjoyable, and everytime I find something really cool to do, it's so exciting. If you'd like, I can tell you about some on-line classes that I'm taking, and they aren't that expensive. The lesson plans they provide are really easy to follow and understand, they give you plenty of time to do the lessons, and they are there to answer any questions you may have. P.M. me if you want to. Also, I have tried the 50D..........NICE CAMERA! It took really great pictures, so congrats on the purchase!

Ken........Thank you!
default_biggrin.png
If you ever get a chance, try these out, and I guarantee you'll enjoy them. I do have the Elements 6 Scott Kelby book, and found it extremely helpful. It helped me get over my fear of photoshop!
default_laugh.png
Guaranteed I'll have the Lightroom edition! Your photos are wonderful, and I'm going to bookmark your site to check out the new additions as you add them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back