Pg older mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albahurst

Reaction score
I hope to get some opinions (and encouragement) from you all- whom I respect so much. My older mare, which I have mentioned on here awhile back being treated for possible placentitis, has now made it to 310 days! I am very, very happy about that, as you might have guessed! Anyway, it appears the foal has dropped. The mare is not even looking pg any longer from behind- you guys know the look. But, there is very little bag yet. I can express a small amt of fluid, which is now a bit sticky. I have been able to get some fluid out of her since around 220 days, when she started a bag which alerted us to possible placentits. I would think that if the foal has dropped, she should be having this baby before long. I am a bit worried about the bag issue now. Her stable mate, due two days later, has blossomed an udder in the past 48 hrs. I know all mares are different, but I am worried because the foal appears to have dropped and no real bag is developing. I understand she had to have domperidone last time (4 yrs ago), but I wonder about fescue at her past place because several mares then had to have domperidone. She also carried to 343 days last time (makes me wonder even more about fescue). Anyway, do you have some words of encouragement? I do have her under camera at night and a foal alert 24/7.

All I can say is keep up the good work and I still have my fingers crossed for you!!!!

Some of my mares will have a small soft bag and then on the day they foal...........BAM!

I sure hope your girl bags up for you!!!!!!

343 could have been perfectly normal for her. I have an older mare that always goes well over 340. There are also some mares that need domperidone even when not on fescue. If she's needed it in the past it would be a good idea to have some available in case you do need it when she foals. And Reo is so right - some mares don't get much bag before foaling!

My vet wouldn't give me any to keep on hand. I don't know why, other than he thought maybe she had been exposed to fescue. Unfortunately, it is a 2 hr drive to the vet. I have been trying to locate some to keep on hand. I will keep up the search.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sending prayers but also would suggest that you post on the LB Mare Stare/Chat Board sub-forum. We/they will want photos of your mare, but the support and encouragement you will get is priceless. You might also want to do a search on that sub-forum (or the whole forum) on placentitis because it seems to me someone else just went through this.

This also makes me realize how lucky I am that my vet lives on the next street and can be here in under 10 minutes for a dystocia.

Good news- found a vet willing to order some Domperidone in for me! Still hoping for a live, healthy foal from my old mare.

That's great, Peggy! Domperidone has been a life saver here and while I hope you don't need it, it will give you peace of mind to have it on hand.

Thanks, Becky- I am sure hoping it got ordered today. I contated the vet but haven't heard back with a confirmation. I will double check tomorrow. The ole mare is still hanging in there.

Ok- I am all set- went all the way to Denver today to pick up colostrum to have on hand! That is a 5 hr drive one way! So, I have colostrum and Foal Lac powder ready. Also, my Domperidone arrived today
default_smile.png
Bought a couple of baby bottles tonight, too. Hope I don't need any of it, but I am READY! Bring on the BABY! Oh, and so many thanks to all my family and friends who watched momma mare ALL day so I could go get all these supplies. She is doing some leg rubbing, tail rubbing, yawning, leg scratching today plus has turned very purple. So, I think we are getting close! My next post will be with a foal announcement
default_smile.png
I am thinking positive
default_smile.png

I, too, have used Domperidone here when needed. Wonderful product!! Also, my 20-year-old mare foaled this year without any problems, and she is in great shape............even nursing her foal!
default_yes.gif
Best of luck to you with your mare, and I'll be watching for a foal announcement really soon!

KUDDOS for being prepared!!!! I hope you won't even need any of it. I don't know how old your mare is, but often the older ones are treasures.

Thanks SO much, everyone! NO baby yet
default_sad.png
Boy, I thought last night was going to be IT! She is doing lots of belly kicking now, too, in addition to the other things listed above. We just keep watching and watching. I have to hire a horse sitter each day while I am gone, as I don't want her to ever be left alone! I will sure let you guys know when a baby comes and how everything goes!

Latest posts

Back