PETA response to FAO schwartz "pony" sale

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Winchester Farm... going to PETA - as you may have realized by now - was ill-advised.

At leats FAO Schwarz took measures to ensure that the horse would be cared for properly... even specifying proper care with an expert in attendance. Far more than you will see happen at a sale - where any buyer can walk away with a horse and take it anywhere... and you have no clue as to its future.

PETA is the WORST thing to happen to animal welfare... and if they turn their attention to the mini world as a future "project"... well - you can bet no good will come of it. Terrorism... lying... and sensationalist tactics do not help the animals in any way shape or form.

Frankly - the only thing that perturbed me about that ad was the fact that for $15,000 you can get a very fancy show horse...
wink.gif

Live animals are sold over the internet all the time - even on our sales board - so you cannot use that as a reason to complain.

Sigh, and again sarcasm is lost in computer translation.
I got the sarcasm - it was obvious - and made me smile. I think people tend to react instead of read and reread and not apply a certain tone to a post that was never there to begin with...

This whole thing?? Mountains out of molehills, IMHO. *shrug*

ETA:

Oh come on, Geese - remember Kentucky Derby winner Ferdinand? He earned $3,777,978 and ended up killed in a slaughterhouse in Japan...
The same thing happened to Exceller in Sweden... hence the development of the Exceller Fund ...

Check out the horses you can purchase from trainers.... very good deals to be had...
yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
It just amazes me to see so much anger over this mini advertised in a catelogue. What a great opportunity for many more people to be drawn to these small equines! Not even a small portion of people looking at this catelogue are going to be interested in buying the mini advertised there but it might have made many want to find out more about minis in their area giving all of us a chance to educate and find good homes for our animals. Why do so many of you assume if a person is wealthy enough to get this catelogue they are too stupid and heartless to be responsible and to suggest all wealthy people are spoiled and thoughtless to their pets is just plan ignorant. GROW UP!

The issue at hand has (had) nothing to do with wealth.

The issue was advertising an live animal in a toy catalog, and whether or not that was the appropriate vehicle for advertising...

Hosscrazy said:
The issue at hand has (had) nothing to do with wealth.
The issue was advertising an live animal in a toy catalog, and whether or not that was the appropriate vehicle for advertising...

467713[/snapback]

Well like I said before What is the difference then Buying one over the Internet? They did State that this was a Pet and Not a toy.. So what is wrong then? ..That catalog goes out to millions and now millions have the introduction maybe for the First time to a mini horse.. That is good for sales.. Good for the miniature business as a whole the more people that get introduced to minis the better..Wouldn't you agree..And stating it was Not a Toy but a Pet should clarify any misnomers, as being bought as a toy or used as a toy.. But as a pet..I guess in my humble opinion and others on here, it is just no big deal but with only help many more people into the world of the small equine..So agree to disagree I guess..But PETA Should have been left out of this..that is for sure, and everybody agrees, or mostly everybody anyway..

Winchester Farms said:
to all these people who this is ridiculous, dont complain every time you see a mini go for slaughter, or a 100lb person riding a mini.  it would be a wonderful thing if FAO schwartz was saving minis from the slaughter and then placing them in good homes, but I doubt thats what they are doing.
464536[/snapback]

I didnt read other responses yet but have to say i am not sure what the big deal is here really. I mean we cant have it all complain about a dead market and yet then dont want any advertisment or marketing gimmicks... well folks what do you think midget ponies(our now minis) were in the first place a marketing gimmick for a dying market of shetlands

the catalog sells many one of a kind items and seems to me that is what this is. I dont see a huge run on buckskin foals.

they are selling with an expert for advice how many others of any breed do this?

How many horses of all breeds are bought and sold over the internet each time taking a risk.

I think there are many things in our breed we can and should be worried about but to me anyway this just isnt one of them.

Back