Pet Therapy Information

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbit Horse Shire

Reaction score
Hi ..

I’m hoping the Forum will be able to help me find some information on the process of training a new foal for pet therapy .. Our mares are expecting next Spring and I know that imprinting with them is important from day one (if possible) but I don’t know what else I need to do so that the foals can learn to not be afraid of crutches .. wheelchairs .. walkers .. How not to look for food from every hand that approaches them etc. .. I'm trying to gather all the information now so that once the foals are born we are well informed

This is the reason we got started with mini's .. I know how important pet therapy can be & what a better "therapist" then a beautiful little mini .. If anyone has experience with mini's & pet therapy and would like to share their "Pearls of Wisdom" they would be GREATLY appreciated

I live in rural Virginia and don’t know of any place locally to find this information .. If anyone can help would you please send me an email at [email protected] since I don’t have a lot of time to monitor the Forum right now .. Thank you sooooo much for any help you can give

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee28/Ho...hobbithorse.jpg

:love
default_aktion033.gif
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif
default_thumbup.gif

Hmmm, common sence would tell me the way to get them used to wheel chairs, crutchers, etc, is to desensitize them too it. You need to get them used to being around them, just like you would a saddle or a bit in their mouth. Slowly and not scaring them of course. If you don't want them to look to peoples hands for food, don't ever hand feed them. I used to train and show dogs, and also put therapy titles on them. You really will have to get them used to that kind of stuff, or at least see how they react to it and see if it scares them. I would get them used to as many sights and sounds as I could!

Latest posts

Back