Pet store puppies=puppy mill dogs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigeresss

Reaction score

http://www.saynotopetstorepuppies.com/

99% of puppies seen in pet stores are acquired from puppy mills or poor breeders.

A bit of information from www.saynotopetstorepuppies.com

Puppy mills (also known as puppy farms outside of the United States) are large-scale dog breeding facilities that operate under substandard breeding conditions. Substandard breeding conditions allow puppies bred in puppy mills to develop chronic health problems, temperament issues, and hereditary defects.

Life is particularly bad for "breeding stock," dogs who live their entire lives in cages and are continually bred for years, without human companionship and with little hope of ever becoming part of a family. These dogs receive little or no veterinary care and never see a bed, a treat or a toy. After their fertility wanes, breeding animals are commonly killed, abandoned or sold to another mill. The annual result of all this breeding is hundreds of thousands of puppies, many with behavior and/or health problems.

Such health problems include heart murmurs, hip problems, skin problems, deafness, allergies, plates in the skull that don't close properly, aggressive temperaments, or a host of other hereditary defects. Some of these problems may show up as soon as the customer gets the new pup home. Some may not become evident for several years.

A puppy mill is a business, with the facility designed purely for profit, not for the well-being of the dogs. When we buy a pet or even shop at a store that sells puppies, we contribute to a heartless underground industry that forces dogs to spend their entire lives in cages constantly breeding to support consumer demand for puppies. Please watch this video to witness the unbearable existence that breeding dogs face each day of their lives.

The crime the pet store commits is that they mask the illusion of the puppy mill horror with cute pictures and murals on the walls surrounding the pups that are behind glass enclosures. They are ashamed of the truth of their business and try to hide the lie that their pups are actually from poor breeders/puppy mills who simply breed for quantity instead of quality.

As consumers we do have the power to end this vicious cycle of terror and abuse. The puppy mill business has absolutely no regard for the health and welfare of it's animals and the continual production of puppies is dependent upon the public buying puppies in a pet store. If people stopped buying puppies in pet stores, the demand would end and the pet stores would stop buying from commercial kennels and then the misery would end.

We ask you to please show your support in this very important cause by BOYCOTTING all pet stores that sell puppies and if you are thinking of adding a new member to your family that you do so responsibly

HOW TO FIND A QUALITY BREEDER

raises their dogs/pups as part of the family and does not keep them outside in a kennel or dog run

encourages you to have a look around their establishment and shows you where the dogs are kept/raised

encourages you to spend time with the pups and their parents, especially with the mother

has dogs that are happy to see/greet people, no shying away, trembling or aggressive behaviour

shows you paperwork regarding all vet visits/vaccinations for the puppies and the mother; knows the puppy's and mother's medical history

explains/outlines any problems specific to the breed of the pup (e.g. hip dysplasia, Progressive Retinal Atrophy, etc.); every breed has specific genetic predispostions

informs you of any specific care requirement for the breed - grooming necessities/guildelines for long hair breeds such as the Shih Tzu, Bichon Frise, Maltese etc.

offers recommendations and/or information regarding training, socializing, and integrating your new member into your family

feeds their dogs/pups a high quality diet; explains the diet the pup(s) have been on and how to integrate it into your home/lifestyle (e.g. if dogs/pups have been raised on a raw diet)

Maintains the highest standards of cleanliness, care, and canine health.

ask you questions e.g. why do you a dog, do you have the time and basic requirements (fenced backyard) to own a dog, who will be the main caregiver and why did you choose this particular breed . . .

Is extremely knowledgeable about their particular breed, the temperament of the breed, the basic exercise/grooming requirements etc.

has you sign a contract with the following conditions:

• you will spay/neuter the pup unless you plan on showing it (show quality dogs only)

• the pup will be returned to the breeder at any point in the dog's life if there is any problem with keeping it (the pup will never go to a shelter)

AMEN!

I fostered a former breeder and she was so sad. Scared to death of everything, even snow. About had a heart attack the first time I turned the tv on. Pembroke Welsh Corgi. She will probably never be a normal dog, but she is living a pretty good life in her new adoptive home.

My corgi club is selling this bumper sticker as a fund raiser:

bumpersticker.jpg

It's not just pet stores anymore that you have to watch out for. Many commercial breeders ( a nice word for mills) sell over the internet. They have learned they can bypass the petstores ( cut out the middlemen) and the public often buys into the "home raised with love" speil. They have slick website, cute photos and make inpulse buying even easier

things to watch out for

* Multiple breeds

* Multiple litters always seems to have something available

* Accepts CC/ Paypal ect

* sells pups at days old ( you often see photos of neonates with SOLD)

* Does not do genetic screenings / health test (every recognised breed has a parent club, go to that clubs website and see what the breed is prone to.

* Health garantees are short term

* Does not require spay/neuter on pets ( Non show/ performance)

* will sell any dog to anyone ( Not all dogs or breeds are a good match for all families or people)

* Does not require you return the dog if you are no longer able to keep it

* does not show/ do performance/ Obedience or any other measure of "breedable quality"

PLEASE folks If you have to have a purebred dog

1) think about a rescue ( I have had some awsome dogs come through over the years

2) if you want to buy a pup, please do the research, contact the breed club and get referals, Dont buy a pup on impulse and dont expect to get the exact size/color/ gender immediately ( Its not SEARS you know)

Most good breeders will not have pups at that moment but we are always willing to refer good homes to other breeders or put folks on a waiting list.

OK off my soapbox.

Don't forget the backyard breeders, either. You know, the ones that sell outta Walmart's parking lot, at the flea markets, Craigslist...

*sigh*

Lucy

We have known for years that puppy mills provide the sick puppies at the pet stores. I am amazed that they do sell any puppies.

I have a neighbor who bought a puppy at the pet store. Of course it was sick and it did die in just a week or so. So she goes back to the pet store and gets another one. Of course it was sick too, but it did pull through. I just don't get people who can't think better than that...how sad!

[SIZE=10pt]I know where both of my dogs have come from.[/SIZE]

Puppy Mills.

I hate pet stores and mills. Me, and my best friend even started a petition and wrote to our congresswoman. She never responded, but hey, we tried.

My lhasa alpso is the best little female any one could ask for, her only vice is she is a submissive pee-er. We have had her for ten years, and we spayed her.

My other dog is a black and white Springer spaniel. He is almost nine years old and is neutered. He is a really awesome dog, and loves his family too death. He will do anything for his family, especially me.

At the time we bought these dogs, I had no idea puppy mills existed. I was only seven or eight. But the more I thought of it and as I got older, I understood.

Now, I plan on only getting dogs from shelters, or REAL profressional breeders.

My dogs are a wonderful asset to my life and to my family. Sadly, they are getting older, and the Springer is feeling his age especially around hunting season.

It just makes me sad to know they may have come from a mill or worse.

But on the bright side, they are loving life, and enjoying being dogs. We are retiring the Spaniel from hunting this season. We don't get out there enough, and as much as he loves hunting, his age is catching up with him on the field.

Here my baby is...he follows me everywhere, sleeps in my bed, and helps me with chores.
default_wub.png

DSCN0319-1.jpg

DSCN0336.jpg

Please no flames to me or my family from buying from the pet stores. We really had no idea.

I am just glad we bought the dogs. Now have a home where they will always be loved.

And now we know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back