Pet ramp for minis?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cupcake

Reaction score
When we have to transport our little girl my husband lifts her in the back of our SUV. She's probably over 100 lbs now (was 10 months and underweight at 90 when we got her in feb). She travels really well - better than my Great Dane
default_smile.png

With her accident last week it was a little hard to lift her in and out of there to say the least because she couldn't be grabbed anywhere near her flank or under it. It made me realize I really need some sort of ramp. Thought about building one as I'm very handy with building things but can't figure out how to make it with it being sturdy and compact enough to put in the backseat.

Has anyone built one or does anyone own a "Deluxe Telescoping Pet Ramp"? I saw that they have an xl version that's wider and longer and supports up to 300 lbs for about $130.

Pet ramps do not work well, ESP. For something as tall as an SUV. They tend to slide, the click clack tends to make the mini's scurry a bit and there are no sides on it. SUVs are not the best choice for transport, horse trailers are best, but even a mini van tends to be a better option in a pinch (more head clearance, if the middle seat is removed it makes a compartment stall that keeps them away from the back window, lower step up through the side door....) I know unexpected things come up and we often have to make due with what we have. Does your vet have a small loading doc to back up to? If so, you may be able to find a dirt bank to back up to at home, dense hay bails also make decent steps for minis when in a pinch.

Forgot to add, the pitch of the ramp is very steep when used for a mini to enter an SUV, and even the extra wide ramp isn't quite wide enough for a mini, they just aren't as agile as canines. I tried one years ago for my first very small mini. The ramps have been around quite awhile and have changed very little in that time. It was a heavy duty extra wide ramp, but it never quite cut it.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have access to a used drop floor handicap side entry ramp van..they should work great, for smaller horses lol! Most lower on the ramp side, to lessen the pitch, and the ramps are pretty much non-slip. Lowered floors mean easy on and off with plenty of headroom. The folding ramps can clatter..better might be the sliding from under the van type. A little rubber truck bed liner cut to fit the floor, and you have transport you can also bring groceries and kids home in. Note: Most have had the middle seats removed at conversion, and there is no way to fasten down a middle seat once the floor is lowered, that I know of. Not that the horses will sit in the middle anyway, they are back seat sitters..

Latest posts

Back