Pet Peeves

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt73

Reaction score
I know we've done this before a couple of years ago, but...I just saw a video for a gorgeous CSH filly (does anyone have $15 000 lying around they can spot me
default_biggrin.png
). The "videographer" said her name and said she was "out of" Cabardino which is the stallion. This mistake irks me big time (especially from a farm that, obviously, breeds quality warmbloods and shows etc.). A foal is "out of" the dam and "by" the sire. It's literal; the foal comes out of the mare and is sired by the sire. I don't know why it bugs me, but it does lol.

What are your pet peeves in horse-world terminology?

That one bugs me, another one I cant stand is when someone calls their stallion a stud. As in " My stud is palomino". I dont know why but it really annoys me.

I realize this is very petty but when people call their minis paints.. they are not paints it is not possible for them to be paints.. they are Pintos..

again totally petty but you did ask lol

I don't like it when people ask - and they ALWAYS do - Do you take him in your house?

Have you seen what theses horses can do????? Not my house.

I also find it "interesting" when people use that fact that their stallions best quality is his LONG mane and tail. Or main and tale.

Mine is one I hear often in the saddle horse world, many people call all young horses "colts" regardless of their gender.

I was taught a young female horse is a filly and a young male horse is a colt.

I have had many conversations that go like

Them: I just rode that colt this morning

Me: I thought that was a filly

Them: Oh we call them all colts

Why ???
no.gif

O.K. I will play along. Here are mine.

1.) Saying a mare "folded", instead of "foaled".

2.) Stud Colt (an oxymoron at best!).

sad.gif

sad.gif
I'll go you one better... Filly Colt

The ranchers around here have stud colts and filly colts. :arg!

One rides in a saddle and BRIDLE

One drives with a cart & HARNESS

One leads a horse around the farm in a HALTER

I hate when anything & everything that is put on a horse's head is referred to a a bridle!

Last edited by a moderator:
Craigslist always has the best ones IMO

Male horse,fixed with nice main and tail

I also hate the word dead...as in dead broke horse for sale ....does this horse have no money or what??

When people find out we also have German Shepherds...."do your dogs ever bite your horses"

Mine is one I hear often in the saddle horse world, many people call all young horses "colts" regardless of their gender.
This is a personal irk for me too, and I've heard it go both ways! One of our drivers complimented me on our fillies the other day. I said, "The palomino's actually a colt." And he said, "He's still a nice filly."
default_biggrin.png
My all-time favorite has got to be when someone says they "bread" a mare though - such a thing should be illegal.

I will say, after doing a run of ads on different sites sometimes I have a brain fart and have actually caught myself typing "out of" in front of the sire.
default_blush.png

l don't mind shaving my pintos hair but l can't stand to clip my paints fur...you know the one who is an own son of so and so..

Mine is...

Yours are way too expencive!

I can get one way cheaper off "*********" cause I dont need papers to breed.

or

I want to get inro breeding minis and make $$$!

BUT problem is, they want anything cheap if its $300 or less without even seeing the horse 1st.

These are great! Okay...I don't know when this became popular, but I suspect it was around 1989ish. I used to watch The Masters at Spruce Meadows all the time. All of a sudden, Ian Allison starts referring to horses as an '80 model etc. So, now, I hear he/she is a 2000 etc. model. They are not CARS!!!! Just bugs me because in the hunter jumper world people can quickly forget that horses are animals and that term just shows that. Oh yeah, and the term "chrome" bugs me for the same reason.

All of those, and ... people cannot seem to spell gelding! And the other is describing the height of breeds other than minis as 14.5 or 15.6 hands.

A foal is "out of" the dam and "by" the sire. It's literal; the foal comes out of the mare and is sired by the sire. I don't know why it bugs me, but it does.
Oh my God, I could not possibly agree with you more! I am CONSTANTLY complaining about the "out of"/"by" thing to my husband (who is really just along for the ride) and my mother (who is kind of like my partner in this horse thing) ALL OF THE TIME and THAT exact phrase is my argument ("the foal comes out of the mare", it's literally COMMON SENSE)! I see this "out of"/"by" thing on THIS BOARD ALL OF THE TIME and I just want to
doh.gif
and
frusty.gif

PEOPLE, just because you are "hanging out" at a message board does not mean that you can't use proper terminology or spelling (!) or grammar (!!!). Just like saying "over their" (no, actually, it's "there") or "there horses" (no, actually, it's "their"). If you type like you are a 9 year old that is obviously getting a VERY POOR elementary school education what else am I to think than that you are a 9 year old that is obviously getting a VERY POOR elementary school education instead of the dignified (
rolleyes.gif
) adult that you might actually be. Children are alright, but I like to converse with intelligent, like-minded people that act like they actually care about the conversations that they are having with other people. I know that I am not perfect and do make occasional spelling/grammar mistakes on the board, but I do always TRY to present myself as an intelligent, thoughtful (in that I care to try to spell correctly and use words and punctuation correctly) person.

All of those, and ... people cannot seem to spell gelding! And the other is describing the height of breeds other than minis as 14.5 or 15.6 hands.

LOL. Forgot about that one
default_smile.png
Isn't that just, like, basic? You'd think.

sad.gif

Joanne, I appologize as I do label the colts as stud colts in almost all my ads because it never fails if I just say it is a colt I get e-mails asking if it is a filly or a stud -- don't know why but most people around here say Colt no matter if filly or stud... So I appologize for being one of those people
default_smile.png

Annabellarose, people using improper grammar with multiple spelling errors on their websites and on ads and even posts just really irks me. I was taught that always being professional (even if that means you need to type what you want to say into Word and use spell check and then post it on the internet where anyone can read it) is a must to gain respect from others. I consider correct grammar to be a crucial part of professionalism, especially since the majority of advertising is done via internet now. I'm a big advocate of spell check!

I recently pounced all over my husband for posting in an ad --- "own son of......"

Well, OF COURSE he'd be. What's a "NON-own or UNknown" son of" ????

Back