Perlino Creamello question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagles ring farm

Reaction score
when I look out over our field weather it's summer coats or winter woolies like today

our Creamello is always bright white and our Perlinos are more of a cream color

have you ever noticed this with your DD's or is it just the horses we have

I'm sorta new to Creamello's as we only have 1 for about 1 year now

we have had our Perlino mare for almost 5 years she was born here and our 2012 Perlino filly was the same cream as her, although she just left to go to her new home last week

Last edited by a moderator:
That is normally the way it is between the two, and a smokey black would normally be even darker. BUT, as with all colors, there are exceptions to the rule. :)

I think you are just lucky- most horses get filthy dirty at this time of year irrespective of base colour!

Some will tell you that they can tell a Cremello from a Perlino from a Smoky Cream by sight, but, basically, you have to test to tell the difference, anything else is an educated guess.

We had a cremello stallion and a perlino stallion both. the perlino always looked dirty and creamy looking. Our cremello always managed to look the cleanest of all our horses 90% of the time lol. But yep, we could always tell the difference.

Marsha

In hindsight it is sometimes easy enough to see the difference- if you actually know what they are anyway. What I was pointing out was that you cannot actually identify the difference if you have not had them tested. You can guess, and you can say that an animal looks as if it is one or the other, but you cannot say for sure.

Our girls are tested but it's very noticeable that the creamello is much whiter than the 2 perlinos

just wondering if its just the creamello we have or if others noticed theirs being the same

Our 2 perlinos were a bit easier as their sire is hz black so just had to test agouti for perlino or smokey cream

Cremellos are pure white and perlinos will have an orangish tinge to their mane/tail and lower legs. It is easier to see white markings such as socks on a perlino.

Smoky creams are a solid, more "French vanilla" color than cremellos are.

Both of my mares are registered as cremello, but I think one might be smokey cream.

Dolly (yes, she's a complete chunk), 3 years old"

Dolly - Aug 17, 2012 - reg pic left turn 2.jpg

Sire: silver buckskin Dam: palomino

Bonny (I think she might be smokey cream, based on foal pics I saw):

Bonny and foal - july 16, 2012.jpg

Bonny - July 22, 2010.jpg

After she foaled this year, we knew she received silver from her dam.

Sire: listed as cremello (LKs Buckeroo God, AKA: George) Dam: smokey silver black (listed as just silver black)

I really don't see much color difference between the two. someday, I might color test.

In my experience, perlinos are darker (and smokey creams are darker still). Cremellos aren't "white", but are usually lighter than perlinos and smokey creams.

Here is our "cremello" filly.

10oct9ke731.jpg
11sep25ke319.jpg

Boy were we caught by surprise when we had her tested.
default_risa_suelos.gif
She's a perlino...

Paula - I would have said your lovely filly is a perlino due to the darker tail. In my experience cremello's have white white manes and tails.

My Perlino stallion is not tested but he definately has an orange color to his mane/forelock and also his legs. The Cremello POA that used to be the barn I'm at had no points on his legs and his mane and tail were totally white.

Paula - I would have said your lovely filly is a perlino due to the darker tail. In my experience cremello's have white white manes and tails.
Reviewing posts and was going to post to the OP, but then realized I'd posted.

i do wear glasses and maybe I don't see the darker shade in her mane and tail that others see. The one problem with that theory Ruffian, (
default_yes.gif
) is that when her tail is washed (not with bluing which I've never actually used, but with either Dawn, a fungicide shampoo for rain rot or Mane & Tail), it's very white. That "yellow" in her tail is exactly that - yellow with urine. She wets her tail almost every time she goes when it's below her hocks. Smells pretty "good" too, NOT. My male barn cats (recently all 3 were neutered) - love playing with her tail - more so than any other horse or pony we have. I don't pick them up after they've been "in her tail", LOL. I don't wash her tail regularly - which is why I don't just grab and brush it on a regular basis when we groom her. I do warn others that are around that help with grooming or want to pet on her when she's tied or being handled.

Maybe i'm too influenced by all the non-color appreciating neighbors and friends that we have - to all of them - she's just "the white one"...
default_frusty.gif
and to lump it all together all my silver dapples w/ their many beautiful shades are all referred to as "the tan ones" and the gorgeous bays - also of different shades - some solid, some pinto - are "the brown ones".

I worried forever when someone once referred to one of our bay Arab mares as "black" - could not figure out who they were talking about - as I had only one true black pinto pony stallion at that time. Of course, one year that mare "faded out" so much that she appeared to be a "true" dun or sooty buckskin! In the arab world, she is sometimes referred to as a black bay - I've just always called her a dark bay.

I love playing with color and the different things that happen... We'd never even considered that she might be a perlino - until the test came back with one bay gene. Now I have a question - maybe she is a cremello. I now understand that agouti doesn't work on red and that chestnuts can carry agouti and pass it on - but it won't show on the chestnut. SOOOO her test came back as - eeAaCrCr. I'm thinking that that makes her a cremello (carrying the bay gene she can pass on - but not displaying it) not a perlino since she has no black for it to be displayed on...

Me thinks I need to update her page again, LOL!!

Maybe i'm too influenced by all the non-color appreciating neighbors and friends that we have - to all of them - she's just "the white one"...
default_frusty.gif
I always get the albino one
and to lump it all together all my silver dapples w/ their many beautiful shades are all referred to as "the tan ones"
in summer mine is called the grey one (she just looks dirty grey in winter).
I

SOOOO her test came back as - eeAaCrCr. I'm thinking that that makes her a cremello (carrying the bay gene she can pass on - but not displaying it) not a perlino since she has no black for it to be displayed on...
Yes, that makes her cremello carrying an agouti gene. so breed her to a black, you could get a buckskin if she passes that agouti on.

We have a cremello miniature stallion and a perlino solid Paint stallion. We can tell the difference in color, when they are clean. Teq(Paint) has a cream tinge to his coat, especially when shed out. His mane and tail are yellowish. Casper(Cremello) is white all the way through.

MMM sometimes that happens, sometimes it does not, luck of the draw, though, not a way to tell the colours apart!

I am ahead on points if people round here do not refer to them as Donkeys, let alone attempt to get the colour right. Colour misidentifying I can cope with, but I should like the correct species....

Latest posts

Back