Performance horse age - when is it time to retire?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oakrunfarm

Reaction score
I'd like some information from people who show in the performance classes as to how long of a show career is the norm for minis.

I am coming from QH, where (unfortunately) horses are started, trained and shown on a schedule I find too stringent for a young horse. (Some people are riding long yearlings!) This practice results in many horses with unsoundness issues at disappointingly-early ages.

Realizing that minis are not ridden, but also that over-eager owners or trainers may begin an over-zealous training program, is this a problem that some would define as major in the industry?

For horses that compete regularly on a regional and national level, is it common for driving and jumping minis to continue their careers in into their teens and even early 20's?

Or do minis have inherent structural or hereditary issues which result in leg, feet or arthritic-related unsoundnesses that make competing in performance classes past the age of 5-9 unlikely?

Is a halter horse's career over at 5 or 6? Or do people continue to show their older halter horses in the Sr classes and do well?

We are new to "little horses," and are just wanting to educate ourselves and learn more about showing and the horses so we will be informed.

Thanks!

I've seen PLENTY of older performance minis. The best ones are well conformed (and thus stay competitive!) so they sure can stay sound! I've seen plenty of teenage driving horses.

Also remember that they are relatively light on their legs and rarely carry riders so arthritis seems to be less of an issue in ponies than it does in larger breeds of horse.

Last edited by a moderator:
In addition to what Disneyhorse said, I spoke with our farrier and in his experience lighter horses had much better feet than drafts because of the amount of weight they have to support. I would said let the horse tell you. If they seem stiff, moving slow (not just lazy) then its time.

LOL I have a retired show jumper full sized mare that's 22 - and still tearing it up! Granted, its on the 4H w/t circuit, not the 3'6" open jumper circuit, but still. You'd never tell she's 22 with a saddle on!

You know when its time to retire your horse, and i kinda die a little inside when i hear people retiring 9 year olds. There is no fault of any horse that would cause them to be retired at age 9 that isn't man made. My mini is 8 and a greenie (long story.... he's only been halter broke 2 yrs), and I don't consider him old in the least bit! I have another 20 years to show this horse, and darnit show him i will! Im not going to rush him, sour him, or make him dread show day. I want a lifelong partner, not a showhorse for a year.

It depends on the showman. There are bad apples in QH, and bad apples in minis as well. Both of which are equally as capable of screwing up a horse and pushing them into a very premature retirement.

Performance Minis (specifically cart trained) can't be shown before they're 3 years old, so they aren't forced into the show ring at too young an age. Almost the complete opposite to the "lets breed for January so the horse is 2 years old on January 1st" crap that you get with riding horses, specifically Thoroughbreds... When in all likelihood, they're a 'long yearling' as you mention above.

I second the "let them tell you when they are ready". We just STARTED showing one of our retired broodmares this year at age 13 and then trained her to drive. She also won at halter against good competition. I think the keys to a long performance career for any horse are good conformation and not starting them too early or pushing them beyond their limits. And listening to them!! I almost retired my riding horse Target after his second colic surgery when he was left with only half his small intestines. The vets figured if he survived he would be nutritionally compromised, but he stayed in excellent condition for over 10 years and I quickly realized he LOVED to show so I just adjusted my plans a bit. He earned his Amateur Pinto Championship 2 years after that second surgery.

They will tell you when they have had enough.There are several horses that I bred and raised here with the Knollac Farm prefix that are still competing and winning in their teenage years.They are doing driving,jumping, obstacle,showmanship and even long parades.All were shown in halter and have started on a second career.Several are still winning in halter classes and beating much younger horses.l

I have a couple of 15 yr old geldings that love to drive and jump. One was broke as a long 2yr old to drive, but only line driving and pulling and empty cart till he was 3. The other wasn't even in a harness till he was 5. They are half brothers and I often take them to my cart ride jobs. When I put the first in a cart, the other stomps and snorts because he wanted to be in cart. I agree, they will tell you when they are tired of doing it. I had a 5yr old mare that did well in the show ring for two years and then as a 5yr old she did not want to show and would not behave so we retired her to the broodmare herd.

I would say as long as they are sound and enjoying it, let them continue as long as they want.
default_yes.gif

I was going to say what Mona did
default_smile.png

I know of tons of minis that are showing in their teens and even their 20's.

Max is 18 and LOVES to jump and we drive him fairly frequently. We only show at small local shows, but plan to continue showing next summer, when he'll be 19. He still has plenty of get up and go, though he's more mellow about life.

Well I will be showing a 14 year old gelding next year, driving and just started training him on obstacle....have also successfully campaigned a 16 yr old stallion to National champion in open pleasure and showed my first stallion until he was 24 though at local shows only in his later years....if they are sound and enjoy their job no reason to stop and in my experiance they seem to have fewer soundness issues then full size horses.

Sunny will be 14 next year, and he sure isn't done yet!

If I remember correctly, one if the horses we competed against in many classes at Nationals was 18, and the last time I saw him was two years ago! And this ol' boy WON a TON!

Well my friends had won a Top Ten at Nationals in halter one year with a 20 year old stallion. I have known many driving horses still competing well into their late teens to 20. I think it depends on the horse.

I have a beautiful 20-year-old mare who participated in jumping and other performance classes in the recent past. She is in amazing shape. You could never tell her age by looking at her. She crackles less than horses half her age. As long as the mini is built well conformationally and is exercised consistently over time retirement need not happen. I think you will be able to look at a horse you know well and know when that time comes. Realize that minis are so much lighter on legs and feet and are usually worked much more lightly than even the lightest use pleasure riding horse.

My 21 year old gelding was leased out to a youth this last year. She showed him locally, beating out a well-known Arizona trainer for open high point by putting him in his first liberty class ever and winning it! The youth competed in 8 classes at AMHR Nationals, top ten in 5 classes. The old boy showed his heart out for his girl, he just loved her. Well, he's back at home and after a rest, is the first horse standing at the gate nickering to get worked. He's bright eyed and bushy tailed. May have to show him this next year……..
default_yes.gif

Each horse is an individual as is her/his show career. Our Mr. G. did not enter the AMHR show ring until he was over 15, his first year at Nationals he won Youth Halter in addition to 5 or 6 other National and Grand National Championships. Mr. G. won his last National Championships at the age of 23. Of course we managed his show seasons in a particular way, he never showed more than he needed to qualify.

At the age of 24 he told us he was done showing and he lived out the rest of his life in his paddock and barn that he shared with a horse he had spent much of his life with.

Paying close attention to their body condition, stamina and desire will help you decide when is the appropriate time to retire them from the show ring.

Jacki Loomis

Awwww... I loved watching Mr. G at nationals! What a grand old man!

Latest posts

Back