#%&@ people with invisable fences

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No indoor arenas, heck not even any rings in my area. closest place to haul is a club members farm an hour away. We will be constructing a ring after the first of the year but for now I will have to make due with what we have which is the pasture. ( and even if the horse can see well in the dark I cannot and no way to light the area at this point)

I am not really worried that not driving him every day is going to hurt. I know it would be best if I could but work and lack of daylight just will not let that happen right now. This is a horse who was not driven for several years and after only a couple of months back in harness was winning obsticle classes. He has a good brain and knows how to think thru things.

I did not mean by saying he was not as relaxed the second time as the first that I thought he was going to be a problem, only that it made me realise he needed a bit more confidence re-building than I first thought.

I had thought about hooking him back up there and leading him back but was taught that being on the ground with a hooked cart is an easy way to lose control and did not want to risk another accident. I do plan to hook him back up at the house this week, the time change has made it hard due to working till almost dark. if nothing else I will hook him and drive in the paddock even if it is dark.

The good thing is he did not seem to bothered by the whole thing, and surprising to me I am not afraid to drive again. I think that is due to the fact I came out of it fairly unscathed.
This happened to a gelding that I was training. I let the owner take him out and this dog ran out and bit the horse. The dog evidently came out barking because if any dog barked he would freak out even just in a halter. I worked with the horse for a few months longer. He was never a safe driving horse again.

Does your state have a "Dangerous Dog " law? You did the right thing by reporting this incident. I think I would send them a letter outlining the damages that where caused by their dog being on a public street. Our state has a small claims civil action that can go up to $5000.00. It is tough when they are neighbors.

Years ago I had a friend who had a similar problem. He made many attempts to convince his neighbors to build a fence to contain several dogs. One day he contacted a local sporting goods store and purchased a spray bottle and a large bottle of "Skunk Scent". The smell is contained in the bottle until applied. The dogs were slow learners and it took several applications before he got the desired results.

Should anyone wish to try this. Caution! My friend advises this spray does not discriminate and it works equally well of all objects living or not. It behooves those operating the spray bottle to spray down wind.

Ron

Back