people who are impossible to satisfy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laura

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]A family I met though a craigslist ad for furniture has been e-mailing about a horse for their 13 year old daughter. They have HAD horses before, but don't now. Their daughter (she and they both say) just wants a horse, she doesn't care what it is, as long as it's a horse. That struck me as a bit odd.. but then they change and say they want a mare, a sorrell or palomino, exceptional temperament, able to be shown...do you see where this is going...and they don't want to spend much money. [/SIZE]

Okey dokey, I send them information on a few mares that would be PERFECT for them, in price ranges of inexpensive to expensive and tell them to just tell me if they like the HORSE, then I'll give them the best possible price I can and we can see if they like it.

After many e-mails, which mainly consisted of "well, do you have what we want?", I finally just sent the the whole sales list and said "tell me what YOU like". They did and big suprise, it was the original mares I sent info about...but they are FAR too expensive and again "Do you have what we want?" Heck if I know WHAT you want....arrrgh.

So, I drop the whole thing and then out of the blue they call yesterday about 10 AM and want to come out the same day. They asked when would be best and I said late afternoon or early evening, so it would be cooler. They want to come at noon...ummm, OK. So, they finally show up at 1 pm. By this time Zac and I both are hot and he's miserable from missing his nap that he would have had time for if I'd known they would be so late.

The daughter repeatedly states she doesn't CARE which horse and won't even pet them...that's just weird, sorry. The brother shows way more interest in the horses we are looking at. I finally get them narrowed down to a pinto GELDING (while Zac is crying and asking to go inside and night-night-poor baby), at $550.00 (roughly a 1/3 of his asking price) and then offer them another super sweet gelding for a "foster horse" since I don't want a young horse going to live by himself. I also pointed out he would be GREAT for the very interested younger brother and that horses NEED a buddy to do horse stuff with so that behave for their people. They want to think about it.

They call last night and offer $400.00 for the gelding (National Show Quality by the way) I've already given them a GREAT price on and tell me they don't want to deal with caring for two horses, so the companion horse is out. To add to this they want a 30 day trial for the horse to see

"if behaves OK away from other horses". What the heck? Of course he's not going to be OK, horses are HERD animals. I was polite, but was already thinking "I KNEW these people were nuts, why didn't I just listen to my instincts?"

So I e-mailed and very nicely declined their offer and now they are calling and e-mailing saying "why won't you sell that horse to us"? I told them I didn't think he was suited to being an only horse and wished them the best of luck finding the right horse for their family. I did find out later last night that they have been making the rounds of local mini farms and have not been able to find "what they want" anywhere...not a big suprise :DOH!

[SIZE=12pt]I just got another call AND another e-mail from these people asking why they should feed and house another horse at their expense and why won't we just sell them the horse (of course after the 30 day trial period, assuming they like him and haven't hurt him or worse). I e-mailed AGAIN and told them it wasn't the best situation for the horse and thanked them for their interest. Jeez![/SIZE]

i would absolutely run SCREAMING BLOODY MURDER IN THE OTHER DIRECTION from these people!!! next time they call, tell them the horse(s) they were interested in are no longer for sale. this is one instance when i would LIE just to get rid of these people. i've turned down buyers in the past just because they put off bad vibes.

i would absolutely run SCREAMING BLOODY MURDER IN THE OTHER DIRECTION from these people!!! next time they call, tell them the horse(s) they were interested in are no longer for sale. this is one instance when i would LIE just to get rid of these people. i've turned down buyers in the past just because they put off bad vibes.
[SIZE=12pt]I'm sorry but did I miss some law somewhere that says I have to sell a horse to someone who offers less than what I'm asking AND adds additional stipulations to the sale...crazy people! I was SUPER polite in my e-mails back to them and this is the e-mail they just sent me...[/SIZE]

"If this is the way you do business then I can say, I am probably glad I am not doing business with you and I will not be recommending anyone else trying to do business with you. Just wish we had not wasted the time and gas to come to your farm with the intent to find a horse.

Live and learn!"

Wow. I was shaking my head through the whole post, but that last e-mail from them is just priceless. Do they not realize that your time (which they continue to waste) is valuable too? I wouldn't want to sell a horse to people like that OR their friends, so as far as I'm concerned good riddance! As nutty as they are though, I bet this isn't the end of them...

Wow. I was shaking my head through the whole post, but that last e-mail from them is just priceless. Do they not realize that your time (which they continue to waste) is valuable too? I wouldn't want to sell a horse to people like that OR their friends, so as far as I'm concerned good riddance! As nutty as they are though, I bet this isn't the end of them...
[SIZE=12pt]They just e-mailed a friend of mine and asked if she was associated with Flying A Farm...that sort of thing WILL get them in trouble.[/SIZE]

laura, the next time you hear from these people, tell them you are done and if you get another contact from them, via phone or e-mail, or whatever, you intend to call your county prosecutor and pursue harassment charges. i had to resort to doing this only once and it was all it took. i never heard from the people again.

like gary used to say, all the nuts don't grow on trees! :DOH!

laura, the next time you hear from these people, tell them you are done and if you get another contact from them, via phone or e-mail, or whatever, you intend to call your county prosecutor and pursue harassment charges. i had to resort to doing this only once and it was all it took. i never heard from the people again.

like gary used to say, all the nuts don't grow on trees! :DOH!
No joke
default_wacko.png
I was trying to be nice. I guess I shouldn't have, but I am nice dangit~LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Been there!! Good for you for listening to your instincts. There was a time when I didn't and I am STILL regretting it.
default_sad.png

Sorry to hear that! People are just nuts! And $550 for a national quality mini is a smoking deal! I would just say the price changed to $2500 and you're not going to negotiate. You don't feel they are the right home for him since they are not considering his needs as a horse and that they can't make a decision, you worry that they wouldn't care for him properly. Wish them luck in finding a new horse and please don't contact you again (or bad mouth you!).

Laura,

Look at it this way.........

THESE FOLKS sound CRAZY!!
default_new_shocked.gif
Anyone trying to deal with them is going to pick up on that right away, so you have nothing to worry about my dear. You are a VERY well known horsewoman and I know first hand what kind of a person you are and the business deal that I had with you was wonderful and I would highly recommend you and your horses to anyone. I'm sure there are SEVERAL others that can vouch for that also so I wouldn't worry one minute about one bad apple ruining your wonderful reputation.

Although you could always get them for slander........................or defamation of character..................hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......

Really just ignore them from here on out - they are not worth one more minute of your time or energy. Go kiss your kids and smile my friend!!!!
default_biggrin.png

[SIZE=12pt]LATEST INSTALLMENT-[/SIZE]

They e-mailed back to my friend and said, and I quote-

"If you do business the same as Laura then we should look else where."

I e-mailed them with-

If you continue to disparage or slander my name or my business via the Internet or by any other means, please be advised that I will seek immediate legal action. I am in no way obligated to sell anything to anyone, at any time.

Laura Undem

http://www.flyingafarm.com/

You go girl!!!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
Tell them dumb punks off,they have no need talking to

a fine lady like that!!! THEY ARE JUST DUMB IDIOTS!!!

Laura,

Look at it this way.........

THESE FOLKS sound CRAZY!!
default_new_shocked.gif
Anyone trying to deal with them is going to pick up on that right away, so you have nothing to worry about my dear. You are a VERY well known horsewoman and I know first hand what kind of a person you are and the business deal that I had with you was wonderful and I would highly recommend you and your horses to anyone. I'm sure there are SEVERAL others that can vouch for that also so I wouldn't worry one minute about one bad apple ruining your wonderful reputation.

Although you could always get them for slander........................or defamation of character..................hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......

Really just ignore them from here on out - they are not worth one more minute of your time or energy. Go kiss your kids and smile my friend!!!!
default_biggrin.png
[SIZE=12pt]Thanks Connie
default_wub.png
[/SIZE]

Being me
default_biggrin.png
I was not going to allow them to contact every farm in the area (who will tell me by the way~LOL) asking if they are associated with us. I was talking to Dana and told her I had the impression that people just don't dare tell this guy no...well, guess what, I did and he can get over himself
default_wink.png

and also Laura I commend you for loving your horses enough to see all the red flags and deny this sale. YOU GO GIRLFRIEND!! MUAH!!
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif

I certainly agree all nuts dont grow on trees. All flakes dont come out of a cereal box, etc...

Yep, I would have refused too, and good for you for telling them that. How rotten is that of them?!!!!!!

I swear they are coming out of the woodwork this year... have had a couple of pretty funny things happen this year so far - some folks are just .. well, out there!
default_wacko.png

LOL laura, i'm nice, too. up to a point. but somebody starts messin' with my kid or with my furkids, there'll be heck to pay. i'm like a momma bear when it comes to that!

you have warned them. from now on, if you can document (i.e., have your breeder friends save the e-mails, document any phone calls, etc.), i would march straight to your attorney and have a demand letter drafted. next step will be a summons. these sorts of people can ruin a good business in a heartbeat!

Sorry Laura, your 'gut reaction' was correct!! But please, don't send them my way!!
default_laugh.png
I don't think I would have been so nice!

Pam

OMGosh Laura I am so sorry you are going thru this! I have seen your horses that you advertise and when you mentioned the price you offered to them at I could not believe they even dared to go down even further!! What is WRONG with people??!! I say kudos to you for standing your ground!
default_yes.gif
I have also had my share of weirdos come out of the woodwork..or should I say crawling out from under a rock......
default_wacko.png

Latest posts

Back