people that own over 10 animals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norah

Reaction score
Hi ,

Fot those of you that have many animals , be it horses , cats , dogs or all , AND dont have help caring and cleaning up after them AND work full time to support your animals ....how do you cope with your stress.how do you deal with the little stuff that adds up day after day , like the cat scratching the dog, the horse limping one morning when you go to feed , or a pipe breaks in the stall and floods it after you finished putting in new bedding , or your new batch of hay has mold, my list could go on forever , but you all catch my drift ... I am wondering if some of you would like to share your coping skills . I know we have all felt overloaded, how do you get through the really tough times and keep calm. NOW ,I am not talking about the wealthy people that have never seen the inside of their stalls , or had to touch poop , or clean a sheath . I am asking you people that do all of this yourself , maybe you are also a single parent , divorced , or your hubby isnt interested in your animal "hobby" , and everything seems to fall on your shoulders. Want to share your secret to keeping yourself centered and balanced, you you can continue being a good "mom". Or if you dont know how you deal with it , share your worst day at the barn, a day where everything you touched went wrong ; )

How to say this..... you should have the number of animals that don't cause you stress.

Sounds like you have too many animals.

Right now I have two Icelandic's, one Mini, two Nigerian goats, one sheep, three cats and will have 25 chickens soon. This is the max animals I can deal with now.

When I was younger, I had a lot more animals but never so much to cause me stress.

You just grit you teeth and soldier on. Right now we are dealing with horsey flu/colds, and it is a PITA. Drugs for this one, pills for THAT one, blankets on, blankets off, crush the pills, mix the applesauce...etc. Took me two hours doing chores last night, normally a 45 minute process.

They are still worth all the hassle, though....

What Shari said. Sell some so that your stress levels are better. Sure, you are gonna have issues come up every now and then. But when it gets to the point that you no longer enjoy them, that is when its time to change something.

I know how you feel. This summer I had 32 horses, 10 goats, dogs/cats, and 2 elem age kids to take care of. By myself. My husband drove a truck and was usually only home one day a week. I also have a 8-5 job. It got to be too much for me and I have since sold down to only 10 horses. I just couldn't do it. It was getting to where I almost hated to go out and feed. Seemed like there was always "something" to deal with. It is MUCH better now that I have fewer to care for. And those "somethings" that come up and need special attention are not such a big deal now.

Oh heres one for ya!
default_biggrin.png

8 minis (3 in foal)

2 swans

6 netherland dwarf bunnys (9 babys with 1 prego doe)

25 bantam cochin chickens (4 chicks) (16 eggs due next week)

1 dog

1 cat

1 hubby

pay the eletric, gas, cable, my cell phone, trash, new horse trailer payment, insurance on trailer, all our food, all the critters food, and take care of the chores & 12 acres of property!

ALL ON 1 part time job! I do farrier services on the side which defently helps!

Oh then I do show some of my minis!

default_new_shocked.gif
default_shutup.gif
default_laugh.png
default_wub.png
default_wacko.png
default_new_shocked.gif

HOLY MOLEY HOW DO I DO IT!

LOL

How to say this..... you should have the number of animals that don't cause you stress.

Sounds like you have too many animals.

Right now I have two Icelandic's, one Mini, two Nigerian goats, one sheep, three cats and will have 25 chickens soon. This is the max animals I can deal with now.

When I was younger, I had a lot more animals but never so much to cause me stress.

actually my animal dont make me stressed Sheri ... my job does that ; ) animals keep me centered , I love caring for them

Oh heres one for ya!
default_biggrin.png

8 minis (3 in foal)

2 swans

6 netherland dwarf bunnys (9 babys with 1 prego doe)

25 bantam cochin chickens (4 chicks) (16 eggs due next week)

1 dog

1 cat

1 hubby

pay the eletric, gas, cable, my cell phone, trash, new horse trailer payment, insurance on trailer, all our food, all the critters food, and take care of the chores & 12 acres of property!

ALL ON 1 part time job! I do farrier services on the side which defently helps!

Oh then I do show some of my minis!

default_new_shocked.gif
default_shutup.gif
default_laugh.png
default_wub.png
default_wacko.png
default_new_shocked.gif

HOLY MOLEY HOW DO I DO IT!

LOL
good for you ... that a full plate .acutally my topic was not about me , it was about all of you guys... Kids stress out parents all the time , and people usually dont tell others to sell them ; ) I love caring for my animals, I love saying good moring to them .. I work a 12 to 14 hour day , that I dont love every morning. I see people all the time stressed out about their horses , especially at shows ...

Coping skills? Ha! Every once in a while, I just explode into obscenities.

I have:

16 goats, 6 are pregnant... 5 are due next week;

3 Minis;

6 cats... one pooped by the front door yesterday;

3 dogs... one strained her knee on the ice two days ago;

2 kids... 5 and 1 1/2 years old (these are people kids, not goat kids :D);

a husband who does not fully support my animal hobby, but does help pay for it;

And I take care of my elderly neighbor 6 days a week.

Like you, my critters help keep me sane... but SOMETIMEs they drive me bonkers. Sooo... I do what I can with what I have. I figure out what is the most important thing to get done on a particular day, do it, and leave the rest for tomorrow. Everyone gets fed and watered and petted (even the husband and kids), but there is only so much of me to go around. Just remember, you're really not alone.

I actually left my $15 hr job....i had to...with 12 minis,400 chickens,15 hogs,42 goats,ducks,and all.i asked ti get off afew hours early two days a week,boss said fine,we can work with,that,,,,next thing I know he hired in a replacement and offered me $11 per hour to work part time...oh well...im trying to open small store. It is hard,plus I have a 2 year old son...it,was too much..my advice is to either,sell down some,or if you can afford to,go part time...i couldnt bear not to have any animals....i was staying outaide till dark feedimg up...some mornings id get up,find a goat or another animal,hurt,in labor,etc....and didnt know whether to call in late,leave the animal or what,...then the bottle babies....lordy,you cant work a 8_5 job and care for them...i would get up at 6:30 take my son to daycare,go to work get off work,feed up,cook supper,shower,then bed.....it was just unreal...i didnt have a life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I don't have an outside job anymore, but when I did, it was definitely the horses and dogs that kept me sane and the job that drove me crazy, lol! That's why my husband finally told me to quit my job, save my sanity, and be there for our two daughters.

These days we have more horses (37 currently), and four dogs, one of which is my beloved geriatric Great Dane who needs a lot of special care. I do all of the caretaking myself, with some help from my husband; mainly he hauls hay from the hay barn to the horse barn for me, and helps with some stall cleaning from time to time, and he helps me take pictures of horses for registrations, etc. I do the bulk of the day to day feeding, all of the grooming, training, etc, and it can get tiring, but I just love it. I love taking care of my horses and being out with them, even when it's below freezing like it is today. I bundle up.
default_smile.png
The only times I've felt like I oculdn't take any more was when I'd had newborn foals that I nursed through long days and nights and still lost them, or the time I almost lost a mare due to a dystocia from an abortion and we couldn't get the foal out (until finally we did, still waiting for the vet to arrive). Or when we lost an awesome stallion to colic. And yet, caring for the remaining horses kept me going. Even when I'm a walking zombie from lack of sleep during foaling season, or recently when we had some major flooding from a freak rain storm in January and we worked non-stop to keep the barn and horses dry,taking care of my horses brings a smile to my face.

Very simply, I count my blessings, I don't focus on the losses or the problems. Those are just little challenges to overcome. I look at the "big picture" instead of focusing on the little flaws in it.
default_smile.png

I do know we did have to cut back years ago, was becoming a job not an enjoyment.

We wanted this to be our hobby not something we had to do and did not enjoy.

So have learned to say NO to other things that do not make us happy.

That can and does put stress on me and my husband.

Now, we do join and do things we want to do not what we think we should do.

Make a list and just be happy in what you have done each day.

Do not try to do too much, somethings can wait for another day.

We went to pellet bedding which makes it so much easy to clean the stalls.

We went to hay cubes where we do not have to worry where to get our minis their feed each year.

We buy our vaccines on line so it saves us money.

Have downsized so we do not get over whelmed with chores.

When things happen, and has had for us, lost animals we loved and yes, was close twice now with our own life, we look around and see our blessings and say to myself, this too will pass. Think Positive...

You can only do so much, somethings have to wait, when things go wrong, take a deep breath, and listen to your inner self.

When we find we are not happy with what we are doing, than it is time to stop.

Yep life can be overwhelming but sometimes we add to it..
default_wub.png

I absolutely agree with Shari. If you are so blessed that you're stressed you need to downsize. Oh, I don't work
default_wacko.png
full time
default_new_shocked.gif
, I'm just a stay-at-home mom and wife who owns 7 minis a big pony, 2 cats, and a bird. While they are blessings I get overwhelmed when I am not managing my time right. I know that I need to downsize come Spring and work at managing my time more effectively. I understand how you feel
default_yes.gif

Even when things are going well I tend to pray my way through life
default_biggrin.png

all great ways to cope with stress. My biggest stress relief , is being with my horses ..I have 5 , its not a lot , but with the work load its a lot . I recently took in that was in terrible shape , my energy towards getting her healthy has paid off . My brother is very sick and is in the hospital and i live on the other side of the world , and cant be there to hold his hand . all i can do is pray that he wont die . This is the stresser right now that I cant seem to deal with . I will take a day off tomorrow , and sit with the ponys , I know they will make me feel better.

At first I wasn't going to respond becuase I do have paid, part time help. Plus my daughter and her husband are now living with us, and he helps some, like with the evening feeding, and bringing in firewood. Husband is my biggest helper, he puts up the hay, built all our barns, put up all the fencing, and does farrier work on our horses. We have three retired arabs, all elderly from 26 to 30. Thirty minis, although we are trying to downsize, with that many it is hard to give them all the individual attention that I would care to give. Five dogs, four cats and two birds. Sometimes my grand children come on the weekends to help with grooming and other chores, my favorite times, and sometimes in the summer my 11 yr. old grandson stays a week or two. He's the one that shows.

I do know all about stress too. My father-in-law passed and I had to care for my sick Mother-in-Law for 10 yrs. until she passed. Then we had a few nice yrs., then last year my oldest daughter was diagnosed with breast cancer, and had to undergo chemo for what seems like forever. Hubby had spinal surgery last year and was down for a while so it was stressful just trying to keep up. But with that being said the animals are our life and we couldn't live without them. If I ever get down, I go in the woods and pray, then go hug a few horses, that always makes me feel better!

I don't have any help. Care of the animals is all on me and I guess there are days in the winter when I have to head out to the barn and it's 15 below and I wonder why in the heck I do what I do but then I get there and hear all those welcoming neighs and it's all worthwhile. Summers are easier for me because the geese and poultry are out free ranging during the day and I don't have as much coop cleaning but then there is the extensive gardening I do that also keeps me busy. I work with all of the horses and my dogs and donkeys individually every day (clicker training) and it's a labor of love and I wouldn't have it any other way because it just fills my heart with joy but I do admit by nighttime, I'm exhausted and these old age bones of mine ache. But next morning, I get up ready to do it all over again and I wouldn't change one thing in my life with my animals.

ITS JUST ME AND MY HUBBY,DOING THE WORK HERE. WE DON'T CONSIDER IT WORK JUST LOVE. WE HAVE 29 HORSES,4 GOATS,1 ALPACA,2 DONKEYS,24 CHICKENS,3 GEESE,6 DUCKS,2 PEACOCKS,2 GUINEAS,7 DOGS,12 CATS, AND A MOMMA DOG W/PUPPIES IM FOSTERING. AND SOMETIMES THE NEIGHBORS GOATS AND COWS COME FOR A VISIT. AND AS FOR THE REST OF THE INSANITY I PANIC FIRST THEN I TAKE CARE OF THE PROBLEM AND THEN THE BEST PART I GO HUG AN ANIMAL OR 2 OR 3 YOU GET THE IDEA. BUT SOME DAYS I FEEL I'M GETTING TOO OLD FOR THE FUN. I WOULDN'T CHANGE A THING.

Well, my husband and I raise Red AngusX cattle, so taking care of animals is our job. The minis are all my idea, so all my responsibility, so I do 99% of the work for them. We worked cows today, so I'm exhausted (and I think there may be poo in my hair, but I'm too tired to shower).
default_new_shocked.gif

A few years ago I had to take a step back and ask myself what I was doing and try to rationalize it. The day came where I was too tired to enjoy my horses because all I did was work for them and by time chores were done there was nothing left of me. I was working full time in the family business, raising a few foals, adding to the program and fussing over every little hair out of place. I didn't really want help because I wanted things done my way. Health issues got involved and I began to sell down slowly. Its no fun when you are overwhelmed with constant worry, suffering from exhaustion and spending money like it grows on a tree. It was a nice ride while I was younger, I have no regrets, learned much, but I know my limits now. So I say to the OP, start asking yourself the important questions and you'll know what to do by your answers.

I kind of like it, it keeps my body and mind busy. Now, I do have help..my father does do his part, but I rather do most of it myself. We have about 16 ponies, all of them for the most part are 40" plus. I work midnights (mostly), so I like that I have the day available so if I am needed, I can be there. I get home around 8:15 every morning and can feed/clean stalls....sleep...then wake up at 4:00pm go feed/clean and then go back into work around 11:30pm. Its kind of nice, although believe me, I would rather be sleeping right now.

I'm one of those people too who just rather do it all myself, that way I know its been done..how its been done...and that it was done my way. But I do welcome help if dad offers to fill water buckets or something like that. Every now and then he helps hold a horse when i'm clipping it or something.

The animals actually help me reduce stress... but I'm me, and you're you. It's about what each person is able to happily support. I work full time actually owning a business and my husband works full time, too. I do think if not for my husband's help and devotion (to me and the four legged dependents), I'd have to have fewer horses...

Latest posts

Back