People Riding Minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CritterCountry

Reaction score
I wrote this on my site blog..and thought I would share..this boils me over.

"Why is it that some people insist on riding minis? I am not talking kids, but adults. I can't tell you how many times I have seen photos on the internet with an adult who's feet are flat on the ground, sitting on a rather bemused mini who looks like it's legs are going to snap under the pressure. What are these people thinking? Would they ride their dog too? And why do they insist on posting the pics/videos on the internet to show the whole world how dumb they are?

Here's a few idiots who really need to be kicked hard..poor minis can't even defend themselves. I know I wouldn't be able to if I had an elephant sitting on my back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLCEfeP1MGE...feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sYmAJVTZ1c...feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUSPxIuFdfw...feature=related

Here is a newsflash. Miniatures can only carry 10% of their weight so unless you are a 60 pound adult (in which you should be on the Dr. Phil Show for anyway) you CANNOT ride or sit on your mini. It is cruelty, period. Even a child at the age of 8-9 is getting too old and too big to sit on a mini. Use common sense please and spare the little horses!"

Anyone else share these sentiments? After seeing these videos..I am afraid there are too many people who honestly think it is funny to ride a mini. I know I have seen dozens of idiots on America's Funniest Home Videos doing these very things and then the audience laughs. Obviously the audience isn't aware of the weight to weight ratio, and then we have monkey-see monkey-do. Argh..sorry this just irks me.

I can understand little kids about 40 lbs and under riding minis but not adults! Minis can only hold up to 40lbs tops. We have a mini at our 4H barn who is coming home w/ us for the winter on sat and we do pony rides w/ him. Hes 35'' and about 200lbs and 5 years old but he only holds about 40lbs. He was riden by a 7 year old English so we dindn't have to train him but that would have to be a pretty small 7 year old.

I guess I dont understand where this 40lb weight limit came in? Of course adults should not ride minis but if a 200 lb mini can only carry 40 lbs total then that would lead one to believe that a 1000 lb horse can only carry 200 lbs which if you throw in most western saddles leaves many a grown person out of riding all together

I think if a mini unconditioned can pull 250-350 lbs for miles on cement like many I have seen do then they are stronger then we give them credit for and can handle a 50-60 lb kid depending on the build and age

I dont think every mini should be ridden but I dont think minis are just for toddlers either (talking B size here)

yes i think size plays a large role in weight limit

i keep kids to under 60lbs even on my big b horses

but i wouldn't let a kid bigger than 30lbs on my small minis

CritterCountry,

I sent you a pm of another one that is even worse! I don't know how to post it on here, so I am hoping you can. It appears to be a commercial from europe! Don't they have laws to protect animals from this!

Shelia B.

I am truly computer challanged! :DOH!

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate to see adults/older children on Mini's. There is a girl on another list I am on who has posted pics of her "riding" her mini. She is of the sit on it with your feet on the ground type. Of course, she also seems to only buy stallion mini's for no purpose other than to own stallions, as I have yet to hear of her gelding them. She has plenty of large horses to ride, so her pics are just for the purpose of showing that she can climb on a tiny mini?!.
default_unsure.png

I am just so shocked by the commercial with grown men riding those tiny minis! I can't believe that it was even allowed to be broadcast.

You would think there would be someone around there with some common sense!

As for the girl riding the mini on her website. I have not seen it, but I find it hard to believe that someone has not told her how bad this is!

It sure is a scary world out there for these little guys!
default_sad.png

Shelia B.

Miniatures can only carry 10% of their weight so unless you are a 60 pound adult (in which you should be on the Dr. Phil Show for anyway) you CANNOT ride or sit on your mini.
I'd like to know where this "10%" number comes from. I've read a lot of articles concerning how much an equine can carry and the rule of thumb, based upon scientific research, is 20% of body weight for big horses. For UK Shetlands the figure is even higher (Rabbit may know the exact recommended percentage) as ponies have more bone density than larger horses have. Pound for pound the UK Shetland is the most powerful equiine in the world.

I am still wondering where the 40 lbs or 10 percent of there weight came from??

If that is fact someone better tell over 80 percent of all teens and adults riding those 1200 pound horses that the horses can only carry 120 lbs
default_new_shocked.gif

It appears in the video that these miniatures are carrying close to %100 of there body weight. I realize they may have thicker bones, but doesn't that seem excessive?

Shelia B.

The 10% is what I have read on websites. I can't remember where but will have to go digging. I have been told that too, and wondered the same thing..if horses could only carry 10% there'd be no one over 150pds riding a 1500 pnd horse. I just know that my mini weighs 350 and I won't let my 65 pnd kids get on her.

Sheila that video was nuts!

I guess I dont understand where this 40lb weight limit came in? Of course adults should not ride minis but if a 200 lb mini can only carry 40 lbs total then that would lead one to believe that a 1000 lb horse can only carry 200 lbs which if you throw in most western saddles leaves many a grown person out of riding all together

I think if a mini unconditioned can pull 250-350 lbs for miles on cement like many I have seen do then they are stronger then we give them credit for and can handle a 50-60 lb kid depending on the build and age

I dont think every mini should be ridden but I dont think minis are just for toddlers either (talking B size here)
We talked to a mini breeder and asked what the weight limit should be for our 35'' mini at the 4H and she said under 40lbs, thats where it came in.

So essentially this "10%" number is just some random number some mini breeders have pulled out of thin air with no scientific data to back it up?
default_unsure.png

Here is a good link with SCIENTIFIC DATA to back up their information on how much weight an equine can carry: http://www.gaitedhorses.net/Articles/HRiderGuide.shtml

No, I don't think an adult should ride a mini but, like Lisa, I also think it is unreasonable to believe that a well conformed, healthy adult mini cannot carry a small child up to 20% of its body weight.

Than comercial was posted several years ago, but I don't remember what all was said about it. I'm sure if you searched for it, you could find that old post. For some reason I'm thinking the consesnsus was that the minis were not actually carrying all that weight??? Could be totally off.

I rode a 39"Shetland mare, seriously rode her that is as opposed to sitting on her and I weigh 90lbs.

She was pulling all the way, galloping past my Arab at every, ill mannered chance (she did calm down, she was just green!!)

I rode as in sat upon and allowed him to carry me, Rabbits sire who was 33"- and I rode him a mile to a show leading a mare- I rode the mare back- she was Rabbits Grandmother and was 37"- I STILL weighed 90lbs!!

It depends on bone structure- some of those ponies on Youtube were unhappy but at least one was galloping round with ears pricked, and jumping with ears pricked- an overloaded horse is not a happy horse, IME.

I agree it is NOT a good precedent to set- fro a huge person to ride a tiny pony- but I for one would absolutely LOVE to see a real, proper lead rein class, such as we have here, in the US- with some of those gorgeous ponies under saddle- in fact, Lewella, send me one and I'll kidnap a child- I have twin Grad Nephew and Niece, nearly one year old now!!!
default_yes.gif

What about this one? THe kids seem really big to be riding let alone jumping this little guy. They are skinny kids though so do they meet the weight limit?

Edited to add that this one really tickes me off!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csKe04gEhMo

Latest posts

Back