PEOPLE! Please look up words before you use them in an ad.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my horse's name is : INFAMOUS

and it suits her!

[SIZE=14pt][/SIZE]OK you are probally going to kick me for this but heck. I am getting older been there done that graduated from High school and college some 30 + years ago and if I misspell something or misuse a word I am not stupid or unknowledged just have done my time educational wise and really don't care. I am not going to spend my time looking through a dictionary to see if I spelled something wrong or have the correct meaning. So I use simple words. If someone wants to think I am not educated then thats their problem. My Mother was always stressing big words and speaking as if you were overly educated and down deep her personality stunk. ( Don't get me wrong I loved her deeply) So I see the other side of the coin and appreciate people for who they are not judging how educated they are or aren't. It's all in the heart. Half the time as far as sale board goes it is best you take at ads with a little salt and go see for your self if the mentioned item is truely what the ad "says it is". Also half the time some misspelled words are typos. That is my "Band Wagon" I think spelling and grammer are definetly important but who you are is much more then that. Some of the most intellegent people are Pulizer Prize winners and I know a few are serial killers too. I'll take a "stupid" who believes in Gods laws any day. I am sure this little post can be picked apart too but I"ll love you anyway.
default_wub.png
:

Fantacsix, I don't think the point is to pick on anyone or look down on them, it is to point out that they are not communicating what they meant to say. The purpose of language is to communicate; if people understand you, then you have achieved the goal! But if people just make up arbitrary meanings for words, no one else will be able to understand them.

I think this is especially true in an ad. If you are putting an ad on the internet or in the paper, you really want people to come to your house and buy whatever it is you have for sale. They won't do that if they can't understand what it is you are trying to say; most people are pretty busy, so it is important to communicate with them that you may have what they need.

:eek: I'm afraid I'm one of those people who didn't look-up the meaning of a word before I posted an ad that used it. I honestly can't believe I did that!! I guess I was not thinking when I wrote it originally, then just cut and pasted it.

You can bet I'll be more careful, now!

You'd think my three college degrees would actually MEAN something, wouldn't you?
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Kari

And while you're at it, could you PLEASE not use "out of" a STALLION. No horse is ever OUT of a STALLION. They are BY a stallion, and out of a MARE. Ya know, a mare is bred BY a stallion and the foal comes OUT of the mare.... :lol:

Now, of course, if you ever do get a foal out of a stallion, you're gonna be rich..... :aktion033:

Lucy
oh i totally agree!!!!! i absolutely HATE when they say "out of a stallion" and i have seen worse: "By...a mare!"

that bugs me. terribly bad. glad someone else noticed it.

Well I understand that it bothers some people and am not taking away from your opinions at all but it is getting so no one can be confident aobut putting ANY add on the sale board anymore. Seems someone will post and tear apart almost anything from spelling, to pictures, to price, to who the horse is bred to is it or isnt a dwarf, what kind of fencing they had. Even what horses they are opting to buy or sell.

There are things that "bother" me in adds or posts I try to get past that and see what was being trying to be said if I am interested or just pass the add along if it truly bothers me.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Last edited:
[SIZE=14pt][/SIZE]You said it Lisa I agree. :aktion033: I think when I presented my long reply earlier I was trying to communicate something simular. I just got too wrapped up. LOL

Latest posts

Back