Penni- Bred- Due ???? - *New Pics - 2/28*

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weekly Update on Penni
default_smile.png
She is allowing me to scratch above her tailhead and between her cheeks while I am in the stall with her, so I am finally able to keep feel on her udder (not quite up to letting me take pics or look LOL) Udder is starting to get a slight "squishy" feeling, especially in the front. The back part hasn't started to change much.

Finally got a picture of her hoo-haa too for y'all to see ;) I'm not 100% sure, but I almost want to say it looks a little longer than it was two days ago; but I can't be for sure if it really is, or just my impatient wishful thinking ;) Tail is fairly loose for me to move around, though she does still have a little bit of muscle in it when she really wants to.

Pics will be edited in here in a few minutes - forgot to upload them from my camera before starting this thread
default_smile.png

P2280993.JPGP2280998.JPGP2280996.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so excited after your confirmation that the changes I'm feeling are infact the beginning changes I should be feeling! Farrier is FINALLY coming tomorrow to get her poor feet tidied up a bit - I am sure that will help her feel a bit better (and Buddy too!)

Hopefully within another week of being able to get my hands on her (assuming tomorrow's farrier visit isn't too traumatic!) I'll be able to get an udder pic to start using for comparision as well!

Love the long black tail. It is so thick. My Jewel broke her tail hairs almost all the way off.

Great pics
default_thumbup.gif
I don't see any wrinkles in her hooha so she is moving along wonderfully, she looks slab sided too
default_thumbup.gif

Here is a top/down look at her from behind - Eagle mentioned she was slab sided, which made me think of this picture.

Farrier was just here, and with only a little fuss, Penni (and Buddy) now have better looking feet! Farrier stated she didn't look bred, and called me crazy when I said I seen the baby move a few weeks ago lol. Said in all his years of breeding (riding horses) he has never seen a baby move.. Now, he is an old timer, set in his old timer ways LoL. Man I've known for years, so I know better than to argue with him ;) Its a loosing battle LOL! Anywho- onto the pic I mentioned
default_smile.png

P2280991.JPG

A question - She looks "sunken in" right in front of her hips in these pics - does that mean anything about her time of foaling, or could she be needing something more? I am having a hard time finding good quality hay here this time of year, but have her on 14% pellets (will grab the bag when I go back out to get more specs), not sure on how many pounds I am giving (Ive been giving two scoops with an old cup I had) , but I found my husbands fish weight tape, so should know at least what she has been getting here a little later today when I weight it with that
default_smile.png

**ETA: Just want to state the picture is not taken from exactly centered behind her - I was standing just a bit to her right. She is still a bit jumpy, so I take the shots when I can get them without moving too much.

Love the long black tail. It is so thick. My Jewel broke her tail hairs almost all the way off.
I love it too
default_smile.png
I can't wait until she will let me brush her out the way I want to! She has been doing some butt rubbing, so I am sure it is only a matter of time before the hair at the top of her tail gets broken off

I have some video's of my foal's moving if you want to see, you could even show you "old timer" farrier LOL

We can't see a lot with a photo taken at this angle, it is better taken from behind but down on your knees.
default_yes.gif

LoL I KNOW I seen and felt the baby move, so I just let him do his rant ;)

I didnt think that angle showed much, which is why I didnt post it originally, but did just incase ;) Are the side and rear views the only ones generally used to see how they are progressing; like the ones I have posted? I know a front shot would be nice too, but have yet to have her stand still enough for that picture update ;)

You could show him these pics...

here's Tana June 23, 2012 mid-morning:

Tana - June 23, 2012 - with Dolly.jpg

She doesn't look all that pregnant, and certainly not ready to foal.

And, here she is right after lunch:

Tana and foal - June 23, 2012.jpg

The only way I knew Jewel was prego was because I definitely saw movement. From what I have read from many sources.. the baby movement can easily be seen at about 8 months. So from that .. I guessed Jewel to be due at end of February or early March and .. well.. we are just about right on target for that. Your farrier is probably used to pasture horses that roam freely on the land so of course.. these old timers probably are not as in tune to seeing movement. How weird for him to state that in such an emphatic way. Howerver..in raising our Boer goats.. I rarely saw the babies move at all in the whole herd of Does.. and with our horse... It was very obvious movement.

I think that even tho farriers are around horses full time they are only experts in the feet department lol. My farrier quizzed me a few weeks ago about my mare because she still comes into season when there's a stallion around and said it must be a false pregnancy. I've googled it and found a lot of owners whose mares are just has desperate for a slap and tickle when pregnant haha.

Does anyone else think Penni has that triangle tail end look?

Chanda, did your lovely Tana have a full udder when you took the first picture and how wide was she looking from the back?

Sorry for my absence everyone!! Internet service got cut from the budget for a while :/ Between Kids, Critters, Work, and a Home, there was no time to get to the library (which is at least an hour with wait time!). A lot has went on since I last posted. Penni, the mare in question in this thread, went to live with a friend of mine when times got tough. To date (1/19/14), there has been NO foal from her. Her owner has not found the evidence of a miscarriage, and just had a blood test taken in the last few days to see "just for sure". It is mind boggling because I SWEAR I felt a movement against my hand those first few days after she arrived, like it was literally a foal nose, or knee, running along her side. Any thoughts? At this point, I am thinking no baby is going to be arriving; And the coworker who took the other mare from the same place has came to the same conclusion with her - no baby!

1002005_10201442764083276_200551939_n.jpg - Taken Oct 27 2013

1454612_10201480440985175_1837607390_n.jpg - Taken Nov 1 2013

I didn't have a clue. She was a rescued mini. Got her in the beginning of Feb 2013; she had been in a herd with a stud (multiple studs actually) and many mares up until she came here.

So then at 'best' she would be a year long in mid-February.

Do you have a more recent picture than the Nov 1st one? Something that would show us what she's looking like now since the Nov 1 picture is already 2 months old?

Just catching up on your thread, wow I can't believe she didn't have her foal.... Would love to see some pics of her from behind to see how her tummy is sitting. That first pic you put up definitely looked like a pregnant tummy pic but mares have certainly confused us before and will continue to do so I'm sure lol.

Unfortunetly, The Nov picture is the most recent picture her new owner has posted for me to see
default_sad.png
There were a few other pictures from that same day; I will see if any of them are from a different angle, and post them if so.. Even though they are older, maybe some of the Aunties will have a guess; especially since I figured she would have had a foal a LONG time ago if she was going to! Not sure how long the blood test results take to come back that her new owner had pulled; hopefully soon!

Well, just got the blood test results.... NEGATIVE for pregnancy! Wowza, I told her new owner I am glad I never made a bet on her; cause I WOULD have lost that one for sure! I am just shocked that she wasn't pregnant considering the situation she came from!

Latest posts

Back