Pedigree Dogs Exposed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
White Socks Miniature, you said what I was trying to, in a much more informative wonderful way.
default_aktion033.gif

I am in no way a dog breeding expert, but I have seen firsthand how the effects of conditions such as difficulty breathing due to a shortened, squashed nose and eye problems for the same reasons seem to be prevalent in dog breeds that have this trait. Seems to me it's similar to the very dishy headed minis that might also have tooth problems and/or sinus issues (not saying this is or isn't true, but if it were proven, I'd think it would be good to breed away from that trait or moderate it to benefit the animal).

The Rhodesian Ridgebacks in the video...is this true that the ridge is the cause of a mild form of spina bifida? Seems to me that if that is true, then it's obviously a genetic deformity being used as a breed trait. Why not a Rhodesian Ridgeless? The dogs to me look plenty distinct even without their ridges. I'd love to have one as a pet, but not if they are going to be crippled by spine problems or the disease they showed with the openings to the spinal cord/brain.

My point is that we as humans play "god" with our manipulation of genetics (and who says evolution is not truth...look at how we manipulate it) with little regard to the long-term well-being of the animals.

I do think, I will say again, that this presentation was editorialized, but it seems to have been done rather sanely (as opposed, for example, how PETA might put it) and with the hope of educating people who want to buy a pedigreed dog as a pet, to be aware of the health problems, the consequences, and to push for a change in health requirements and testing in the breed organizations. I can't say that would be a bad thing, and I would hope that if we were able to do so, we would have dwarfism testing that would be best to conform to as breeders/sellers.

The least we could do both for our horses and for their potential new families.

Anything else is very sadly inconsiderate of life, even of a "lesser" animal if some see it that way. I've heard it said you can judge a society by the way they treat their animals and their elderly.

Those dogs having seizures were pitiful and the German Shepherds were clearly unsound, yet obviously winning high awards.

To me, top honors would mean the fittest body as well, not just the one that looked the most extreme.

L.

Thank you nootka, you seem to have got the same out of this as I. I found it full of valid information, which even the Kennel Club said was correct. I have been thinking of the Rhodesian Ridgebacks and the breeders who cull the ridgeless (which was suggested in the Kennel Clubs guidelines) and have to find "old" vets to put them down because younger vets won't put healthy puppies to sleep. This isn't about bashing reg. dogs it's about making sure dogs have healthy, pain free lives and if that means changing the standards some so animals don't suffer then I can't see that as a bad idea.

I agree with you horseplay & nootka!!

Those videos were put out by the Kennel Club in the UK. Breed standards can change from Kennel Club to Kennel Club. They won't be HUGE changes, but enough that judges and breeders can interpret them differently....and sadly some take certain things to extremes. Problems in breeds aren't always the same from one KC to another.....especially when we are going from North America to Europe. Yes bloodlines do cross 'the pond', but there could be total different issues with the same breeds here, that they don't have over there and vice versa.

I'm not sure on the Rhodesian thing.....but I know docking is banned now in the UK and I'm pretty sure cropping is too, or on the way....so there are no docked tails, no cropped ears anymore.....I just wonder how long (if it hasn't happened already) it will be until 'culling' will be out of the standards as well

So again, I just say, you need to look into the breeds that you're interested in, in the country or area that you are thinking of getting them from. And I still say, if someone is looking at buying a dog, spend a day at a dog show, talk to breeders, exhibitors & owners there. Just like horses.....

~kathryn

Thanks so much for posting this topic.

I watched all 6 of the clips.

I have not read all the posts but will say that the biggest difference is that when purebreeds have health problems and genetic issues it is normally because of human interference.

If you get a mutt and they happen to have the same issues it is just unfortunate, not caused by human intervention.

I am from Ireland and have observed that in America more than in Europe the extreme is seen in both horses, dogs, cats etc

Dog showing and horse showing and I am sure others animals too is much more intensely competitive here. What I mean is that at Crufts most, the large majority, are shown by their owner, often also the breeder. Professional handlers are not often used and certainly in the IKC rarely used.

Here HUGE amounts of money are spent on showing and getting a dog to Ch.

I think this whole thing is so tragic and so disturbing that GREED and POWER and the desire to be the BEST, at any cost, has caused us(humans) to behave so poorly.

As usual, we(humans) abuse our powers.

I saw it first hand with my labrador, she was very well bred and I bred her to a topnotch Ch dog, owned and breed by a well known AKC judge

and well respected breeder. When serious genetic faults showed up she finally admitted that he often threw pups with these faults but he also produced Ch. I was so disgusted and felt so let down. OF COURSE, she blamed my dog for 50% of the problem, only her next litter with a different sire had NO such problems. He has sired MANY, MANY pups. Both ch's and dogs with serious faults and many in between.

I have "purebreds" and mutts and I also have my purebred(unregistered) shortie jrt's. I have owned and loved the shorties for 30 years and now they are finally registereing them with the AKC. I definately won't be seeking to register mine. There was a reason why they were never reg with the KC's and the breed has had very few genetic problems. When compared to their longer legged(reg) Parson JRT, imo the latter have been plagued with MANY more temperament and other genetic issues.

I love many purebred dogs BUT when people get greedy and power hungry and loose touch with the best interest of the breed the results are

only beneficial to the humans.

I notice in America that people often want the 'rare', different, unusual. Sad but true these 'types' are usually destroyed in Ireland at birth.

Like white boxers, blue eyed dogs, mismarked collies, poor pigment in labs etc

However, I have noticed in the last few years, as Ireland is becoming more affluent, that there is a desire for this type of dog. The unique, the rare!

I think it is interesting to note that as people have become better off financially that they now are becoming interested in their dogs being "fashionably different", "more extreme"......one thing I have really noticed is now they are selling tiny jrts. There have always been smaller jrt's standing about 8" tall but now people want small/cute dogs. ALl of a sudden you see people advertising Tiny jrt's and making claims of them being 6" and 7" tall at maturity. When you look at the pups they look odd, not right.....of course people are meddling with them because they can make MORE MONEY off an 'extremely small' one. It really is sick and all comes down to greed!

I am not talking about responsible breeders and dog enthusiasts, I am talking about people who put their financial benefit before the welfare of the dog and the generations of dogs to come.

Shame on them!

Yikes I guess I feel passionately about this
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back