Pay cut what would you do?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floridachick

Reaction score
This is a nightmare! We all know the Economy well my hubbies work said 20% salary cut or they are going under to everyone. Now lastmonth they fired 2 guys and told my hubby to pick up their slack. He is working 80 hours a week and traveling 3 weeks a month.
default_no.gif

I have 2 small children and substitute at school and am having a tough time keeping everything together. I am SO TIRED and beyond stressed. What can we do? I seriously need to work fulltime and can't, not with my horses, and kids etc.

Times are really tough, and jobs are harder and harder to find. I would just try to hang in there for now til things improve. At least he still has a job at this time! A couple of my friends here have lost theirs.

Things have been really tough here too, so have a couple of horses for sale to try to lighten the load some, as my Other Half has more chemo to go through and between his hospital stays and everything else going on, work, horses, etc.... I just feel it's best to do what is needed to be fair to us and to the horses too.

Unfortunately there are only so many hours in a day... wonder if we can stretch those any more?

Not what you want to hear, but I would just br glad he even has a job at all. Tell him to start looking for another one but be glad he has one until he finds something else.

You might not realize it, but you are blessed.

Healthy, and both have jobs,.

Just a suggestion would it be possible to give yourself a break & have a cleaning lady come in once a week and help you out.

Might think of hiring a student to help with horse chores.
default_wink.png

Or have a student come take the kids out for a walk or to the park, to give you a break.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure your not going to like to hear this either, but there would be alot, and I do mean ALOT of men who would like to be in your hubbys position. Just stop for a moment and think about how lucky you are to have a job, both of you, have insurance, which I am taking his job does offer, and have a roof over your head. There are so many who had a good well paying job, and lost them, along with losing there homes. If he is working all these hours and your working as well..I would find a reliable baby sitter, and someone who would like to maybe work a few hours a week with your horses. That way, you would get a break and not feel so stressed.

THanks guys! We actually do not get insurance, it was one of the cuts and to add more pressure we pay for our health ins on our own. Its $870 a month SIGH. Its not like I can sell horses in this market either. Its just so tough on everyone and it just plain stinks! All of our investments are worth pennies at the moment too.

Hang on, as long as you can because having ones DH unemployed stinks.

My DH got offered a contract job today, was insulting.... at Mim wage and at a distance he would have to drive to and from that job, it "might" pay for gas and he drives a Toyota Echo. No way for him to live at that office, so we had to say no. Just crossing our fingers something close to a normal wage comes along in the next couple of months.

You might not realize it, but you are blessed.Healthy, and both have jobs,.

Just a suggestion would it be possible to give yourself a break & have a cleaning lady come in once a week and help you out.

Might think of hiring a student to help with horse chores.
default_wink.png

Or have a student come take the kids out for a walk or to the park, to give you a break.

Was thinking along the same line as Reble.....just to give you a break.......Talk to some parents of your kids' friends about trading some time. Take an extra kid or two for an afternoon and then ask the parents to take yours for a few hours. We've had really good luck with that over the years.......No babysitting fees! And it gives folks a little breather.
default_smile.png

THanks guys! We actually do not get insurance, it was one of the cuts and to add more pressure we pay for our health ins on our own. Its $870 a month SIGH. Its not like I can sell horses in this market either. Its just so tough on everyone and it just plain stinks! All of our investments are worth pennies at the moment too.

call Alliance Health care, they have a great insurance policy. I am self employed and pay my own and it costs me $283 with dental and vision per month. This also includes a plan similar to Aflac that pays me if I get hurt. I had another plan that went from 383 to 555 a month and offered less than this new one. Number is 800-733-2242, can't hurt to check out the prices.

call Alliance Health care, they have a great insurance policy. I am self employed and pay my own and it costs me $283 with dental and vision per month. This also includes a plan similar to Aflac that pays me if I get hurt. I had another plan that went from 383 to 555 a month and offered less than this new one. Number is 800-733-2242, can't hurt to check out the prices.
Thanks, I think ours is high cause its a family plan we have 2 children too. Thank you for the numbers I will call Monday. I wonder if they can Pre EX? I have Asthma and had trouble trying to switch.
default_sad.png

There is only my hubby and myself. he was just laid off (permanent) from work after 38 years with the company. Our cobra which we can carry thru where he worked, would cost us..$1,383.00 a month and that does not include the dental or vision. Dental would be $122.00 a month extra and I am not sure what vision would be. He was laid off last month and we have 30 days to decide. Thank you for the Alliance insurance number..I am definitely going to give them a call. and see if they are available in Wisconsin. Insurance prices are crazy!

I agree, if he has a job even with less money, it is a job.. is there anything you can Do without to help with money since he wont be making as much.

Your insurance is way to high IMO. Even with kids. If you have maternity on your plan then it is higher too, so if your done having kids then you could take that part off to lower your premium.

I would check into another insurance company though. Try American Community.

Also with ins if you go for a high deductible and no copay your premiums will be lower. If you are healthy and dont go to dr much is is so much better to go this route. Yes if you go to dr you jsut pay the office charge, but you save so much per month on premiums, it is worth it. Most like that, once you meet the high deductible they pay 100 %. Even if you had a $4000 deductible (sounds high) but it isnt if someone jsut breaks and arm or somthing is costs many thousands which they will pay except the $4000 deductible. Friends broke an arm, it was $16,000.00, so $4000 is small amount to pay...

I hope you find a way to get less stressed soon..

Try this-every morning when you wake and every night before you sleep-count your blessing(we all have many no matter how rough things are) keep a positive attitude as it will get you so much farther than any negativity...

There is only my hubby and myself. he was just laid off (permanent) from work after 38 years with the company. Our cobra which we can carry thru where he worked, would cost us..$1,383.00 a month and that does not include the dental or vision. Dental would be $122.00 a month extra and I am not sure what vision would be. He was laid off last month and we have 30 days to decide. Thank you for the Alliance insurance number..I am definitely going to give them a call. and see if they are available in Wisconsin. Insurance prices are crazy!
they are nation wide.

Thanks, I think ours is high cause its a family plan we have 2 children too. Thank you for the numbers I will call Monday. I wonder if they can Pre EX? I have Asthma and had trouble trying to switch.
default_sad.png
I have Graves disease, no preexisting. I thought that was illegal, maybe just in Mass, but it is here, they cannot deny you for a preexisting condition.

I substitute teach, but the problem is budget cuts, I am working less and less. They have Paraproffessionals cover its cheaper than a college educated person.
default_sad.png

Other problem is hubby travels and no one to watch our kids so unless its school hours??? I can't do it, then there are sick kids, animals to deal with. Its just really hard to run a home, farm, raise the kids, bills, housework etc and be out money we expected to have. We owe a lot on a large medical bill also as my husband has been sick this year and had multiple surgeries. Its just a mess, I wish so badly the economy would heal!

I agree, if he has a job even with less money, it is a job.. is there anything you can Do without to help with money since he wont be making as much.
Your insurance is way to high IMO. Even with kids. If you have maternity on your plan then it is higher too, so if your done having kids then you could take that part off to lower your premium.

I would check into another insurance company though. Try American Community.

Also with ins if you go for a high deductible and no copay your premiums will be lower. If you are healthy and dont go to dr much is is so much better to go this route. Yes if you go to dr you jsut pay the office charge, but you save so much per month on premiums, it is worth it. Most like that, once you meet the high deductible they pay 100 %. Even if you had a $4000 deductible (sounds high) but it isnt if someone jsut breaks and arm or somthing is costs many thousands which they will pay except the $4000 deductible. Friends broke an arm, it was $16,000.00, so $4000 is small amount to pay...

I hope you find a way to get less stressed soon..

Try this-every morning when you wake and every night before you sleep-count your blessing(we all have many no matter how rough things are) keep a positive attitude as it will get you so much farther than any negativity...

Do you have family near by? Brothers, sisters, your parents..cousins...... ask them for help! Nothing wrong in that.. that is what families are for.

Do you have family near by? Brothers, sisters, your parents..cousins...... ask them for help! Nothing wrong in that.. that is what families are for.
Sadly my hubby and I are totally alone. My family is in the northeast and his is gone.
default_sad.png

I know we will make it. I just don't want to face having to place our beloved animals if things go terribly wrong.

Our investments and "cuishon" we lost 40K in the Economy downturn so our pillow is not there to fall back on.

Its just not fair, we struggled for years and worked 2 jobs each, put oursleves through college, then had our kids and animals when we thought we were very stable and now the Economic downturn has been a nightmare.
default_no.gif

I just pray things change soon.

Thank you for all of your support.

You are so right, it's really not fair.
default_sad.png
I hope that things get better for you (and everyone!) very soon.

Tuff one and very difficult times ahead for us all. We were living a good life and back in the 90's with our thriving swimming pool company when the kids were little along came the storms and 3 months of continuous flooding did us in. All the contractors we worked for literally ran out on us (and others) oweing us all plenty of money that we counted on. We cashed in our savings and insurances and paid our debts but knew it was time to leave. Here we were, hus already middle age having to start from scratch literally on a wing and a prayer in a new place, the only place we could afford. A dump. It was not easy by no means but it is the best thing that ever could have happened. We fought together to survive and built a new business up from nothing. We'll never have a pretty home like we had before and no bells and whistles but we are surviving. I can tell you that your husband is a saint working those hours and by giving him your complete and total support every day is worth a million bucks to him. By all means keep an open mind and consider looking outside of the box if you have to. Opportunity will not come looking for you; sometimes you have to make things happen. Hang in there. Hugs.

Be THANKFUL - you both have work. Some of us don't. Start thinking outside the box. You have had some incredible suggestions - car pool kids is a great idea. Take an extra 2-4 kids for one or two days a week to give some other struggling mother a break, (that break can be to go do anything - cleaning, cooking, grocery shopping - or even re-charging with a nap).

I don't know how old your kids are, but I was doing chores around age 4. Nothing horrible, but picking up toys, stuff like that was a big help to a single parent.

Area kids, if you found a horse crazy girl around 10-13 - they could come help a few times a week do chores.

Cleaning and housework - try to think of how to make things more efficient. Try baking or cooking several meals at one time and then put in refrigerator or freezer to pull out later when things are hectic.

Organization is the key here. You might have to get up one or two hours earlier on the weekends to accomplish some stuff before kids get up - but it is do able!

A LASTLY - TAKE A DEEP BREATH - YOU ARE RUNNING YOURSELF ON OVERDRIVE! YOU ARE OVERWHELMING YOURSELF. Break it down, a simple task at a time.

Barn help - unless you have a pregnant mare about due in a stall - heavens to betsy - it just might not have to be cleaned every single day! I learned that the hard way this winter. I dont' clean every single day anymore. They are only stalled at night unless the weather is so bad they can't go out.

Now that I have foals due, pregnant mares stalls that are due in the next 2 weeks get cleaned everyday. But this has helped me a lot.

Figure out what you can live with not being cleaned or done everyday and then work from there.

Take care!

Latest posts

Back