Pawing to the Center of the Earth!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcwallis

Reaction score
Does anyone have a suggestion on stopping a horse from pawing when they are tied? Paws dirt, gravel, concrete! Is there something to do? He's a great horse but just isn't very patient when tied.

I've been going through this with my current project horse. What seemed to have some success for me was tying him and as soon as he started to paw, I untied him and backed him. tied him, and when he pawed I lunged him. Tied him, then backed him. It was a pain in the neck but he is not nearly as bad now.

I don't think you can fix it. It's a bid for attention, I believe. Ignoring him is better than a reprimand. But having to work seemed to help also.

You can search for my post a month or so ago for other ideas. Several people responded.

You can do what Marsha suggested, if they keep pawing then make them move their feet, make them work. Then tie them back up.

But IMO the best thing to do is just tie them up and ingore it. I tie mine almost every time after I work with them so they are already more tired and most will just stand there and gives them a chance to think about the lesson. I let them stand tied at least an hour and it does not hurt them to tie them up longer. Most will get better but some may never quit but may not be as extreme especially if you work with them first before you tie them up. And as far as what to put underneath them try a rubber mat.

My filly did that aLOT. So evertime she did, I smacked her leg she was pawing and said no--problem solved now! =)

I agree with JMS, lots of time tied will help them develop the patience to stand quietly and my usual response to a pawer (hmmm is that even a word lol) is to tie them and do something nearby but ignore any antics be it pawing or fidgeting in other ways. The fact that I am close by means I can be sure they don't get themselves in any real trouble. I often tie a row of horses and start grooming at one end of the line and work towards the other end. They are happier to be in company and still get to practice standing. I don't bother in most cases to correct at all. Tie them where they are safe and wait until they are standing quietly (napping is good) before releasing them. Of course many years ago when horses where kept in tie stalls more often the standard suggestion in this area was to fasten a strap around above the horse's knee with a chain hanging down from it. When the horse pawed the chain would swing and bang uncomfortably on the horse's leg so it self corrected.

Good luck with this problem.
default_xkngt.gif
I gave up. All five of my horses are afflicted in one way or another. They get regular turnout with exersize from me but they still paw. I have given corrections, they still paw. I have tied up for extended periods of time to hopefully instill patience, they still paw! I gave up,threw in the towel and now just work around this annoying and destructive obsession.
default_giveup.gif
default_giveup.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back