Pawing the ground what does it mean

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poodlepill

Reaction score
My B size mini paws at the ground while he is eating his grain. He stands quietly for haltering and tying, quiet in the trailer and when he is eating his hay out of the feeder so the only place he paws is while he is eating the grain. There is only him a 3 year old and a 1 1/2 year old A size mini that totally lets him be boss, Is he having some anxiety thinking the other little guy is going to eat his food.......and I watch them never has the other mini tried to get at his food.

Many horses (of all breeds) paw like that. I feel it is just a natural thing for them as in the wild, they often must paw for their food. Some do it, others don;t, and like you say, some may do it only with grain. (maybe because they want to eat it faster than they can, and in their mind maybe they think pawing will help get them more faster??)

Good to know, thanks. For the record, the larger food pawing one is a bit more high strung. My little guy is just as mellow and easy going as they come and he does not paw.

I have one that does this. I had to fix him a feeding dish attached to the fence, as when I tried to use a dish on the ground he pawed it, turning it over. It's been over a year since I've owned him, and he still tries to paw the dish. Sometimes he gets his hoof into the dish attached to the fence. I was told it is a wild horse thing.

I have one that does this. I had to fix him a feeding dish attached to the fence, as when I tried to use a dish on the ground he pawed it, turning it over. It's been over a year since I've owned him, and he still tries to paw the dish. Sometimes he gets his hoof into the dish attached to the fence. I was told it is a wild horse thing.

Well actually I have panels inside my barn and I hang their feeding bins on the rungs then had to duct tape them to the rungs as they were tipping them over. He has also dug a nice hole under his feeder from pawing.

I'm ok with it being a wild horse thing and next I'm going to put a mat under his hanging feed bin. I guess there is no chance of re training this? or maybe I'll hook a cue to it with clicker training and teach him to count LOL

My gelding paws really bad and I always feed wet so he would dump it over and the feed would pretty much be wasted. I put his feed pan in a tire and that solved the problem great! I used to feed him out of a feeder that hung on the gate but he developed very severe hooks on the back of his teeth (in a very short period of time because he gets regular dental work) and my vet told me that it was caused by him having to eat in an "un-natural" position. So she recommends to feed off the ground and thats when I had to put his pan in a tire because it was constantly being dumped over.

My gelding paws really bad and I always feed wet so he would dump it over and the feed would pretty much be wasted. I put his feed pan in a tire and that solved the problem great! I used to feed him out of a feeder that hung on the gate but he developed very severe hooks on the back of his teeth (in a very short period of time because he gets regular dental work) and my vet told me that it was caused by him having to eat in an "un-natural" position. So she recommends to feed off the ground and thats when I had to put his pan in a tire because it was constantly being dumped over.
That is interesting. I've been wanting to get some non-flip feeders, perhaps I should look more into it.

Before I have always fed on the ground but it never fails for them to tip their feed bowl with their pawing. Once the food is on the ground they are fine. It seems like now that the feed buckets are hanged on a fence the pawing seems to be worse, atleast to 1 individual and he is impatient and does paw. If you can put a rubber mat at where he eats. Atleast that way he won't dig any holes. If you have a certain place where you tie him up and he paws place one there as well.

I do agree about feeding in a natural position, my "hanging feeders" hang off the bottom rung and are really deep so almost touch the ground. The tire idea sounds great too.

I don't think pawing is a "wild horse thing;" since when do wild horses get grain? The only time they have to paw to feed would be when there is snow cover on the ground, pawing at any other time of year would just dig up the grass they are trying to eat. Pawing might break ice over a frozen water hole, but you generally don't see horses pawing while drinking, except perhaps in play (a horse that paws in water usually follows up by rolling in it!).

Pawing is a behavior that many horses exhibit when they are anxious about something. Feeding time is a very anxious time for most horses, they often show behavior then that you don't see at any other time. I know several horses that stand on three legs, with one foreleg raised and sharply bent, while they are eating grain (looks like a variation on pawing to me). Some anxieties are very deeply rooted, having begun way back in the animal's past. There may be nothing in the present arrangement to make an animal anxious, but it continues to get wound up because it always gets wound up, a sort of self-perpetuating loop. When I think of horses exhibiting feeding-time anxiety and food aggression, the most extreme examples that come to my mind are also dominant animals that nobody they live with now would dare to challenge. They may not have to worry now, but somewhere in the past there was a horse that would take the food away (maybe even the mother) and the pattern of getting stressed out at feeding time became set.

Last edited by a moderator:
I completely agree with Bunnylady. A few of the biggie show horses at my barn will stand on three legs while eating. It is a dominance thing, at least as i see it. They are poised, just in case anyone should try to steal their food. Some are worse than others. One will hold it up while the grooms are feeding then put it down once fed, one while eating, one will sometimes strike out. The striker is actually a really, really great kids pony, but don't get in her way at feeding time!

Some horses even make nasty faces when you walk by during dinner time. I had a Warmblood that used to spit out his grain because he was busy making ugly faces/tossing his head when people/dogs/horses went by.
default_rolleyes.gif

I don't think pawing is a "wild horse thing;" since when do wild horses get grain? The only time they have to paw to feed would be when there is snow cover on the ground, pawing at any other time of year would just dig up the grass they are trying to eat.
I did not say wild horses get grain...what I DID say was that they paw, and yes, they do paw if covered in snow, and they will also paw when the grass is short, thus, they are trying to get more. They don't realize it will uproot the grass that they are pawing at. All they are concerned with, is pawing to try to uncover more. Pawing IS a natural behavior in horses.

If you watch new foals eating they also paw.

I think it is just trying to find the good stuff.

Hay, feed in buckets etc. Just a way of looking.

I remember reading somewhere that pawing is an instinctive thing because horses in the wild or even in the paddock are always moving while eating. Take a couple of mouthfuls, take a step etc.

Back