Patty is starting to get big

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim P

Reaction score
I don't know when she was bred. I saw it but did not know to write it down bc I thought the guys were to old to reproduce. Lol. I am thinking it was march or April. She is getting big though. I thought I would post pics for y'all. She is just too sweet.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

She looks lovely Kim
default_smile.png

If she was successfully bred during those Months she would be between 5-7 months along if I am correct?

She certainly does have quite a belly, What are you feeding her ? Does she get Grain as well as hay? Is she out on pasture ?

Welcome to the MareStarers forum, looking forward to hearing what others have to say
default_thumbup.gif

Yes that is my girl! She gets mare and foal feed twice a day. She gets plenty of hay. I was giving her a little alfalfa every day but I had a severe allergic reaction to something and I have not touched the alfalfa hay until I figure out what it was. She gets to eat a little grass sometimes too. I take her walking. I think she is going to be a good little momma.

Well it certainly sounds as tho she is getting plenty to eat.

Has it been confirmed she is pregnant by your vet ? Only reason I ask is that last year i thought my little one was pregnant and was confirmed in foal by my vet and so, was "feeding for two" It turned out she had lost it somewhere along the way and became unwell.

Not knowing this, I continued to feed, only i was adding to what she was about to endure. "Laminitis"

I would hate to see any horse go thru this, it was cruel to see her in so much pain and to have to keep her locked in a box for 2 months wasnt fun for her either.

i will say she has made a wonderful recovery (im even considering breeding her towards the end of nov early Dec)

She will never be able to have free run on pasture anymore, only small periods of time as a treat, as the sugar in the grass is just so high.

I really hope she is pregnant for you , so many wonderful people on here to help along the way and see how patty progresses.

Sorry for the long winded post just wanted you to be aware
default_smile.png

Yes she is really pregnant. Vet did blood work on her. So sorry to hear that happened to your little one. Glad she is okay now. I still have to get the boys fixed. My vet suggested that we wait until after the first frost so the flies want be so bad. This will be the only baby we have. Patty is healthy. The farrier was out just a couple of weeks ago. He said everyone looked good too.

Pretty girl and she looks good. Can you take a couple of pictures for us to start with please. Take a full side shot right down at her level, and take one standing behind her looking straight down her sides toward her head, right down at her level too, and we'll see how baby is riding in there. Very exciting to see her moving forward!

She's looking great Kim, cant wait to see the extra pics that Diane has asked for.
default_yes.gif

Gelding boys after most of the flies have gone is important, but it is not a good idea to wait until you are likely to have frost overnight if you stall your minis over night. You cannot turn horses out on to frosty ground until the frost has lifted, but outside time is vital for newly gelded boys to help prevent the wound swelling, so having to be restricted due to frost can cause difficulties. If yours live out all the time (no run in shelter where they can stand in all night eating hay) then believe it or not, eating frosty grass wont hurt at all!

Well I had to take one of my guys back to the vet yesterday. Wishbone. I have been working with the vet over an abscess he has had since I got him. We have already went through surgery once. The vet called this morning and asked me if I wanted to go ahead and fix him while he had him sedated. I told him to go ahead. I keep them in a pen. They have two run in sheds and a two sided lean to with a fan under it. What does frosty grass do?

Sorry to hear that Wishbone has been poorly again, but sensible of your vet to suggest gelding him whilst he was there. Just make sure that he has plenty of 'walkies' time once he comes home - take him for walks if he seems reluctant to move around himself, and give him the chance to nibble on some nice fresh grass when possible, nothing better than "Doctor Green" for helping with recovery when feeling poorly.

Frosty grass can cause bloating in grazing animals - horses, cattle etc. This only seems to happen when animals are stalled or penned overnight and are then turned out onto frosty ground in the morning, but it can have fatal results. It does not happen if animals are living out 24/7, although to be honest I dont know why! With stalled animals you need to wait for the frost to lift before turning them out on pasture, plus make sure that they have had access to a supply of hay to line their tummies before letting them out as this will help in case some of the grass might still be a bit frozen.

Please let us know how Wishbone is recovering, bless him.
default_yes.gif

I am still giving Wishbone antibiotics and also squirting some in that hole. That is the white stuff you see on his nose. Lil Peanut is at the vet now. He is getting fixed today. I will pick him up tomorrow.

That's a better view for sure, but see if you can stand directly behind her so she's squared up in the picture and we can look smoothly down her sides and squat down at her level. But it looks like baby is riding lopsided....which is just perfect at this point!!!

Now that's a splendid pregnant belly!! She's looking great Kim.

Latest posts

Back