Patty is starting to get big

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She looks as though she is getting very close to foaling. What does her udder look like - will she let you get a picture for us to see? Sorry but I cant remember if you have got her a private stall ready to foal in and is she stabled in it overnight? Also you will need a separate area apart from her friends for her and the baby to use at least for the first few weeks - so much stress caused for Momma mares (and dangerous for babies) to have to share outside space with other horses soon after the birth.

Oh goodness! I am not ready for her to foal! We plan on separating the pen in two weeks! I was hoping she would not have it until February, March, or April. Do you really think she looks that far? I know I saw them breed in March or April. We are pretty sure that this is her first. I will go get a pic for you!

She does look very close to foaling
default_smile.png
Now is the time to keep an eye on her at all times. She has a little shopping to do in the milk department but other than that shes looking really well
default_smile.png

Very excited for you, and Ill be keeping a close watch on this thread.

Looks good
default_smile.png
. She would need to be put in for the babies safety. Or at least that's how I see it. That way if its chilly outside the baby doesnt get cold. Also before she foals its better for your sake and hers if she is in during the foaling. That way you are not dealing with onlookers ( her buddies). Also she may not think of being inside as the best place. So she may or may not voluntarily go in.
default_smile.png

Well I guess I will see about getting my son to help me, or rather me help him separate their pen this week. We don't work well together. Lol I will just have to keep quite and let him do it however he wants.

You spelled it just right!

Separating her a bit early, allows her to get used to her new sanctuary, and will keep baby safe from the rest of the herd, until baby learns to listen ONLY to momma, and follow her around. Also, some "on-lookers" might try to steal baby away from momma, and the stress isn't good for momma. Being a new mom is stressful enough, and this will give her a chance to bond with her little one, and learn how to care for her/him.

She's definitely looking very good, and further along than a March/April baby. So, it won't hurt to let her get used to a new night-time ritual, and she should settle in quite quickly. It will help her stress less and grow that udder!!

She's looking great!

I have them out eating a bit of green grass. It looks like the baby has dropped to me. What do you guys think?

image.jpg

image.jpg

The foal might be in an uncomfortable position hence the rubbing. You should notice a lot more tail rubbing as things get closer.

It does look like she maybe dropping. I don't think its as obvious as to baby poking out sides as it was in earlier photos.

How is her tail ? Has she started to relax muscles around the tail head ? She still needs to go via the milk bar a few times but she may decide to do it closer to foaling.

She is definitely looking wonderful.

hopefully Diane and Anna will be on soon, always look forward to their opinions
default_smile.png

Yes, she looks a bit different, but baby could still stand to move forward of center a bit before delivery. And I agree, she needs to get that udder moving forward too.

Take a picture standing behind her and lets see how baby is positioning. It appears from the one picture as if baby is still sticking out a side, which is just perfect at this point!

She's looking great!

I am getting a little nervous now. Who would have thought. I am reading what you wrote Diane about what could go wrong. Scares me. I hope it goes wonderful. I have two vets who live close to me on each side. Both are about two to four miles from me. My vet really just takes care of dogs and cats. He is a cattle farmer. He has taken good care of my little horses though. He lives about 4 miles from me. He knows how I freak over things. He is older. The other vet does specialize in horses. I just don't use him bc he was always gone on calls. My dog had to stay there four days just to get neutered. He is a good vet though. I am glad I have them so close but from reading all this stuff it seems like they want get here in time. Two to three minutes! I would reach in to help no problem, just kind of scared. I am just going to watch for two feet coming out. I wish I could bring you guys in with me. I don't have barn cams but I do have FaceTime. I would love to be able to have you guys watching! Okay I am just rambling now............I am going to start getting that kit ready tomorrow.

Those pinned threads are brilliant , I read thru them all the time
default_smile.png

When this does happen for you , and I know it will be hard but try and be as relaxed as you can. Patty will be depending on you to be the calm one.
default_smile.png
It must be reassuring that you have vets that live so close to you.

Keep watching her and ask as many questions as you like , especially if you start to notice something you think is unusual. I hope you drink Coffee cause you will really need it as the time gets closer
default_smile.png

Im really excited for you Kim and wish you all the best for when the time comes.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back