Patty is starting to get big

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey everyone! It has been awhile. Annabelle is doing just great ! We just love her. She is very tame. Have not done much with the others. Starting to teach them to do barrels now. They are doing good. We still have to get a saddle though. We just practice bareback and lead them. Sometimes they all follow us. Lol.

This was taken in June. Annabelle has shed out now. I am going to have to put a new pic of her up too. She has a lot of black in her coat now.

image.jpg

Me too , she is so lovely Kim cant wait for some pics
default_smile.png

She looks great! So good that your family is having such a fun time with her.

I'm jealous - very few of our foals have EVER shed their foal coats as suckling/weanlings. Our June baby most certainly will not - our ponies have already started getting their winter coats this week! The two new foals coming soon will also not shed their foal coats before we go into winter.

I know what you're saying. Even here in Florida where you'd expect them to drop that foal coat, they seldom did. I was clipping babies at 2 weeks old (having them fall asleep in my lap while I was clipping them), just to see what was hiding under that fluffy baby coat!

Last edited:
I guess I have to give the credit to our lovely Louisiana weather! I consider myself lucky to get to see her shedded out. I am so glad that it is getting cooler. Those 3 digits and our humidity were getting tough. I had gotten to where I was just leaving the sprinkler on all day for them to stay cool! It also kept the grass green instead of crunching under your feet dying! Although we did have to reinforce the lattice work around the porch. I heard my husband outside one night around 2 am beating and banging. They had broken through and were out. They hang out under the deck now. It really is cool under there. The benefit of having little horses! Annabelle is bigger than Peanut now! She is awesome. I love how her mane stands straight up! She is still a little nipper though. Patty is still letting her nurse. Not a lot. I was reading on a thread about treats. Mine are all pudgy! We have had to cut back on feed bc they are getting watermelon rind and left over fruit platters. Everyone tries so hard to befriend Wishbone. He is getting better but I don't think he will ever be no where near as trusting as the rest of them.

I thought I would give an update on my little herd. They have all gotten too fat! I started having trouble with my sciatic nerve on my left leg. Dealt with it quite a while. Finally had surgery Nov 6 on my back. It is better but my leg still hurts if I miss my meds so I still have a way to go until I am back to normal. During all this time my wonderful hubby took over the horses. He feeds them way too much! Annabelle has gotten bad! She is still very tame, just bad behavior. She thinks the world revolves around her. She is the one who is supposed to get all the attention. My husband left Friday, he want be back until around the first of December. He had a fit when I told him that I was moving them to their little paddock because it was going to be 29 degrees Saturday and Sunday night. I asked why he was upset and he said that their was nothing for them to nibble on. I just laughed and told him to take a good look at them and see that it would not hurt them to just eat hay! I will definitely be cutting their feed down tremendously. Maybe only give them an apple once a week! They are going to think that I am starving them! I am really glad that my husband loves them too. I am just a little worried about cutting back their food because winter is approaching and they usually gain weight then. I have them heat lamps. Is their a diet feed? I can't really work with Annabelle too much because I don't want to mess my back up. Going to follow all the doctors instructions to a t. I will have to get a picture soon of their fat selves for you all to see. Annabelle is just gorgeous though. Her mane is laying down now instead of spiking. I really liked it wild and spikey! She is almost as big as her dad now. She acts like her momma. She is so bossy. She is mean to Peanut at feeding time. Makes me mad because he loved her so much when she was a baby! I have not been on here in a while. I hope everyone is doing good along with their little horses! Wishing you all a wonderful Thanksgiving!

I wouldn't diet too much in winter, I'm sure even in LA they need hay to help keep warm, at least at night. They do make low carb feeds, but even with that you can feed too much. Don't diet too fast, as that can cause it's own set of problems.

HI KIM!!!! Missed you. I know how much sciatic nerve issues can be hurt - though I've not had surgery. I did have sciatic issues w/ one of my pregnancies and off and on now, I'm having other issues. Take care of yourself first - may take a while - Nov 6th wasn't that long ago - I remember it took MONTHS of rehab for my flexible and active daughter to come back from back surgery (she had 2 rods inserted and lab grown bone also to repair/replace a burst fracture after a tree fell on her), I can't imagine what an adult goes thru.

PICTURES -
default_new_multi.gif
- CAN"T WAIT.

Agree with Chandab. On feed - just cut them back a bit for 1 - 2 weeks, then maybe cut them some more - if you think they need it. Pics will of course help.

I know that my girlfriends' ponies are so round and fat right now that they have both developed metabolic issues (lameness) that she is now combating... They look wonderful, but it's just not worth it for the problems they are having now.

I have several with the opposite issue and we are working hard to address those. Checked records and realized that part of it may very well be teeth - checked them myself and ouch! Vet will do floats on them in Dec/Jan and check for wolf teeth...

Here are my fatties! Don't look at their feet, the farrier just came today. They are little woolies! The first pic is Annabelle and her Daddy! Look how big she is!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hah! Lol! Thanks, but I have to give credit to their grooming to all the kiddos. I need to cut Peanuts mane out of his eye! He gets the Donald Trump swoop! Lol. I was going to let one of the kids do that too!

Latest posts

Back