pattern question for Appy experts

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagles ring farm

Reaction score
here is one of our 07' colts he was born black with appy scarlea (sp?) in his eyes

and no other appy characteristics. I have owners permission to post pics he is freshly clipped here

he has these spots all over his body. He also has some white patches on his belly they said not showing in the pics

dam is a palomino snowcap

sire is a black leopard

any idea what his color is doing, see 2nd pic for close up of round spots trying to help his new owners

and myself know what to expect color wise but I'm not very good at all with appy colors

Horses027.jpg

close up showing spots

Horses002r.gif

The black spots may just be from clipping him.. When I clipped my bay snowcap as a yearling he had a bunch of tiny black 'ink' spots all over him just like this guy and once his natural coat started growing back in, the spots disappeared..

Those spots look typical of many I see on horses that have either had fungus or lice. Both cause the hair to grow in darker. It will eventually go away and the coat will become uniform in color.

I don't think those are appy spots. They look more like places where the fur came out and started to grow back. I think you will most likely see some roaning soon. (White hairs coming in) I think the appy spots will be bigger than that. You may not get any spots. He could be homozygous for appy. It would be really hard to tell since he didn't have a white pattern at birth. If they are spots they will still be there in a couple of months and will show up more as white hairs start to come in. If they stay and you don't see any bigger ones then I would say he is homozygous for appy. Since there is now white pattern he would be considered an appy roan or varnish roan or he may even roan to a snowflake.

Shelia B.

Those spots look typical of many I see on horses that have either had fungus or lice. Both cause the hair to grow in darker. It will eventually go away and the coat will become uniform in color.
I agree, my mare came to me with a fungus and when I clipped her she had those black ink spots too. I am still treating the spots with out hair. they are growing in Black. She is a Black Bay.

Does he have any other appy characteristics? Does he have mottling? anything like that?

I think that is just normal and not appy markings. I have a palomino who clipped off with darker small spots I just chalk it up to first clip of the season

Sclera is an indicator of appaloosa, but there's also striped hooves, mottled skin, usually of nose and genitals, and of course color. He's young yet, so he may still color, but the dark spots aren't appy markings.

I've always been told that those black spots are from the oil on the clippers.

Anyone else heard of that? Willow had those spots when clipped too, and she doesn't have any appy in her background.

we call those spots pig hair.
default_smile.png
Its very coarse sticky hair. usually you see them after a first clip when the hair starts to grow back and comes back uneven. By the 2nd and 3rd clip it stops

Dont look like Appy spots to me either.... BUT, if he has the characteristics he can still color out in time. Usually a roaning or snowflake pattern comes in later, if at all, but those spots would be white.

Latest posts

Back