patches is never going to foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

kaykay

im just going to sit here and have a nervous breakdown. Patches has had sticky yellow thick milk for 3 weeks now. Loose swollen vulva etc. But no foal
sad.gif
Today shes dripping milk down the inside of her back legs again. Im so worried there isnt going to be anything left when the foal does get here. Her bag is bigger today but its done that before and then gets small again. She was on fescue until about 80-90 days ago so could that be the problem?

Kay

Fescue would actually cause a problem with milk by suppressing it- it doesn't sound as if she's suppressed
smile.gif
Can you milk off a bottle full and stick it in the freezer?? If she was on Fescue she could have a problem with a thick bag, sooo.....sorry, a few more sleepless nights!! wish I could watch her for you!!

sorry for being such a pain but the stress of moving along with two mares that absolutely refuse to foal is going to kill me. We havent had a good foaling year so now i am so paranoid.

I thought maybe the fact that she was on fescue is why her bag never gets bigger?? Most of what i read said she should be fine since she was removed from the fescue but its still nagging me. It also said fescue would make them overdue. Patches was an oops so we dont know her due date but judging from the fact that she has had milk so long i would think shes overdue. I just have never seen a mare produce yellow sticky milk this long and not foal. Maybe ill post pics. You wouldnt believe how swollen her vulva is

Our last "hold-out" mare, a mini, did that to us this year. It was a first for us too. She dripped sticky milk for almost a week!

Looking back, I wonder if she was holding onto that baby for just a little longer on purpose. (Not to scare you, just my observation.) The foal was tiny. He came out presented properly but with the placenta right behind him so I had to cut the cord. Also, he was down on his rear legs AND hyper extended on his front!

Because of the placenta situation, he was a little oxygen deprived, so was a sleeper foal and I had to milk mom and feed him for his first 12 hours until he seemed to "catch up" and found the faucets! Also, his legs started improving after his first 24 hours. He is now just over a week old and his legs are almost normal now.

Kay, I'm just theorizing that with our mare, maybe something told her to keep a hold of that baby to help it mature just a little bit more. I can't imagine what our colt would have been like if it had been just a week or two younger.

Fortunately, he is doing wonderfully now and romping and bucking and driving his mom crazy.

MA

Wyatt's mare, Angie, had yellow sticky milk for over a month before foaling this year. She'd drip some when she would lay down or kick at bugs on her belly and make her legs a mess but the milk wasn't colostrum but that sticky yellow honey thick stuff. Angie's bag also did the up and down thing but filled up and stayed there about 5 days before she foaled - she waxed those 5 days too! And those last few days she did not want me touching her bag at all when she hadn't cared before. She was about a week late but the colt was a nice sized and healthy one who is now close to 3 months old and solid as a rock!

Latest posts

Back