Pasture fertilizer reccomendations?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mydaddysjag

Reaction score
Im not sure if anyone here will have any input, if your anything like me in general, youve tried really really hard to make drylots for your minis. We got my son a riding horse over the winter (I sneak and ride him when my son isnt at the barn) and I currently have him boarded. Im planning to bring him home after selling one more horse (no stalls open at home). Both my paddock and pasture are dry lots, as weve used them for minis and shetlands. Id like to get some grass back in the bigger pasture, for the riding horse to nibble on, and to help with mud a little. I know Ill need to fertilize and seed. Beforehand let me say, the big horse will be turned out in a field adjacent to my minis, never with them for safety reasons.

My local county extension office isnt much help. They can tell me the reccomended ratio fertilizer to use, but have no suggestions on brands or types (powder vs liquid) of fertilizer to use. I planned to put out fertilizer as soon as the ground thaws, but am trying to figure out what brand and type is best.

I need to be able to put it in a sprayer or a rolling fertilizer spreader, we dont have an ATV or tractor, so want to make sure what I use works, since I dont want to be doing it twice on foot if the first
brand was a dud.

Any suggestions?

Hi, sorry I can't be of any help, I'm actually on the same boat trying to get a little grassy paddock started but I wanted to ask something.

Why do you mention in your post that you have tried really hard to make dry lots for your minis? Is it to avoid grass over-eating and all the health issues that can come with that?

The little paddock I'm trying to grow some grass on is for my minis which I'll be getting in May.

I would really appreciate your input in this.

Thank you

We actually disked all of the grass under three times during the summer when we did it, then put horses on it to prevent it from growing back.

Its to avoid founder and laminitis with the minis, and its about impossible to keep a mini fit on a grass pasture. Instead I feed hay in slow feed hay bags called busy snackers, morning, afternoon, and evening. I should mention that Ive tried grazing muzzles, the break away kind, and had one of my horses manage to get stuck to the fence. This was one with the velcro at the poll. My horse realized he was stuck and didnt struggle, but NEVER again will I turnout with anything on their head, not worth the risk

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it is up to you, of course, but my horses graze 24/7 and I have had two cases of founder (and one of those came with it) in 50 years
default_yes.gif
I do wish people would not make the assumption that Minis cannot graze and are automatically prone to founder as they really are not. If they are managed properly it is quite possible to have them on grass all year round, and to show them off grass, too. For ease of cleaning and because I do clip once at the start of the year, I do stall my show animals at night, but, in the past, I have shown completely off grass and, again, not had problems. Rabbit was always shown off grass as he is (even at 34) neurotic and stall walks if stalled.

I appreciate what you are saying, but, please., do not generalise quite so much- I have never, nor shall I ever, have a dry lot, I hate the whole idea. I am very glad to say it is not really something that has caught on over here!

I'm with Rabbitfizz, I pasture mine all year. Founder is not an issue.......UNLESS the horse has not been pastured and/or the grass is tooo rich (rare occurrance). Even my show animals were given pasture time.

High nitrogen can give mares issues with gestation and foal problems, so keep to a 10-10-10 type fertilizer and if using chicken manure be aware it is very high nitrogen. Grass can change with the weather, so stress creates more sugars, freeze can create the runs sometimes, etc. Horses were born to graze. Don't fear it. Watch for not being overweight -- and limit time if that begins. If the animal has been on dry lot only, then limit the time on free pasture to acclimate them to grass, gradually increasing the time on it.

Not all grass is equal, just like hay (which is only dried grass) and be sure to offer a feed with balanced vit/min . I generally have mine on grass & water during heavy grass growing season, supplementng with a good grain once every other day, etc. Naturally you must do more with some -- late pregnancy/lactating mares, older animals, etc.

Mine also live out on pasture all year round - foaling mares come in at nights when they get to a month before their due dates and one of my stallions is stabled nights just because he prefers it!! Yes they do get 'well covered/pretty fat' during the summer months but naturally lose quite a bit of that weight throughout the winter months - just as nature intended them to do. I have only had one laminitic horse and she came to me with it; even so, once sorted out she also lived happily out with the mare herd for the rest of her days. And yes, we have also shown 'off grass' letting them graze during the day and stabling at night.

I think most of the problem with minis and the possiblility/fear of them getting laminitis is the fact that they dont have enough space to move around in. I do realise that I'm lucky with the amount of land that I have - our smallest field is 2 acres (for the stallion who is stabled at night) then I have fields of 4 acres, 9 acres, 12 acres and 25 aces, all with slopes and hills as well as flat areas, and we often open all the gates to give them free roam, which they love. At least once a day the whole lot of them will take off for a race around en masse - so funny to watch, but it does mean that they get plenty of 'natural' exercise. During the 'hard' winter months (Jan - March here in the UK) they do have ad lib hay supplied via the big round bales.

So I join those others who free graze their minis and would say that it is more likely to be the lack of space/playtime companions/exercise rather than the grass that leads to laminitis and/or other problems.

mydaddysjag.....

It seems your original question was in regards to type of fertilizer. I'm not too sure what you mean by "sprayer" vice "rolling fertilizer spreader." If you feel comfortable with the NPK ratios, then it seems you are requesting input regarding the actual fertilizer form of application(?)

I've come across some web references that advise not to use granular turf formulas (slow release) and this Rutgers link might give you some ideas?

http://www.esc.rutgers.edu/ask_expert/ate_fpmfh.htm

Back