Parelli people?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my opinion one of the only horseman worth his dust is Buck Brannaman.

Monte Roberts, Clinton. and Parelli, not at all.

While I was out spending the afternoon with Seven I was thinking that the only trainers I haven't heard mentioned were Ray Hunt and Buck Brannaman. They started it all in my opinion and sometimes you can't improve on perfection.

For all of you that have posted, I have enjoyed reading your responses and given much thought to what you have written. If I'm wrong in my beliefs about any of these trainers, feel free to educate me.

Lucky seven, I don't think it is possible for anyone to be "wrong" in their beliefs. If someone wants to tell me that what I am doing is wrong and I am stupid for believing it, fine. I didn't ask for everyone to agree with me, and I'm not going to change what I believe to match other peoples. Because what I do works for ME and ultimately, I care about me and my horses. This works in every avenue in life.... That being said, I have enjoyed reading all of the responses as well. But feel a loss because I got no response to my original questions. I didn't mean to start a heated debate, I wanted tips and suggestions. Not to be told that it's not something I should be doing. I do like principles of CA, but can't stand the diva in person. I like the games of PP but don't care for him or his wife personally. I think the principles are what work for me... Not the devout following and purchasing of the products. I'm not going to waste my money at clinics. I'm having a good time withy horses. Do I want to play? Yes! Do I want them to do tricks? Yes! Do I want to show and be successful there? Yes! But most of all, I want to continue an amazing bond with the animals that have made such an impact on my life since I was 6 months old riding with my dad... And I want to allow my children to be a part of that too. In my opinion the 7 games make things easier for me. They make things easier for my kids. I know not everyone agrees... And I respect that. (& there's my soapbox)
default_smile.png
ok. Off to work.

So sorry.. just re read your post and you are right.. you didn't get an answer from me that reflected your original question about asking if anyone was doing the parelli games with their minis. Sorry I got distracted. I do agree with what you said about enjoying a well collected mini in driving. I do the this is my space this is your space exercise in and out of harness but I do not follow any trainer except my driving trainer totally.

I do not enjoy all the wacking Clinton does and I do not train my horses to rush out of my way for fear they will rush over top of my kids. It sounds like you really enjoy working with your minis and creating well mannered horses while having fun doing it. Hopefully there are folks now that will not be afraid to admit they do some parelli games and you will get some feedback as to games they enjoy or find difficult. Cheers.. sorry I got distracted. No offence intended.. just bored of horrible winter weather and seeking a little forum time to keep me from going nuts with the weather. Neither me or my horses are getting enough playtime this winter and I am cleaning out all the chocolate. Curse those cadbury folks for putting out those little sugar coated eggs so far ahead of Easter. Haha

Last edited by a moderator:
I am another one way too tired of this winter. Snow showers again today after a few nice days where some of the snow melted. Seven is getting out around 20 min at a time twice a day, but is still showing rotation on his front right. We are just walking around in large circles because of the snow piles, so we will be needing some things to do when he can get out more. Of the two I would prefer PP so if anyone has any ideas of games I could do with my boy during his recuperation period let me know.

Wasn't directing my rant at anyone in particular ;) I really do love hearing techniques of ANY kind that people use! (Especially since I am new to the mini world)

I am really hating winter... What made me decide to get a driving mini in the winter?!?!? Sigh.

I'll swap you snow for three feet of water any day!
You sure?? 3' of water in the form of snow equals... lessee... 20' of snow! Fortunate we have not gotten that this year. About 10 years ago, we DID!! I can't imagine the work.

Wasn't directing my rant at anyone in particular ;) I really do love hearing techniques of ANY kind that people use! (Especially since I am new to the mini world)

I am really hating winter... What made me decide to get a driving mini in the winter?!?!? Sigh.
Same thing that got me to order a great cart and get it... in winter. That ol' river in Egypt. LOL

finally..spring-is-just-around-the-corner.jpg

In the mean time I'll take pointers from anyone if it passes my sense of what is right for my horse. Even if it is silly little tricks... my horses seem to have fun with it. We've taken smiling to 'tickle the muzzle' and they don't seem to tire of it. They enjoy the playful interaction. That's what it is all about IMHO.

I have a set of cassette tapes by Jonny Burgesson (sp). Very good, common sense, practicle without the hype, without the "you must have this or you can't train" mentality. And it is Christian based. You can find them on Amazon pretty reasonable, and worth listening to. JMHO.

Another very helpful book is Zen Mind, Zen Horse. It gives a perspective on how to BE with a horse. (hint: men... it is related to how to BE with a woman... or so I have found).

After that, the rest of what's out there seems technique to me... and most would probably be fine.

Latest posts

Back