Parelli Method

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TN Belle

Reaction score
I just went to my very first Parelli clinic on his USA tour and absolutely loved it. I bought the rope halter and 12' line along with the carrot stick and savvy string. I am going to try to copy a friends books and dvd's and will ask for the Level one info for myself on Christmas. Just within a week, Twix and Amos are doing well with the seven games, Amos (the donkey) is more of a challenge, but he is working in a regular halter case I couldn't afford two setups at the moment. They even showcased a few mini's at the clinic, so I know I can do it too. I joined the Savvy club too, so now I can get the monthly info and discounts on equipment.

Anyone else here follow Parelli? What level are you at? Is it really that difficult to do?

Yep I play with my guys and parelli. I LOVE it and have learned the most from it vs any other method I have ever tried. You saw Barnum and Bailey! They are cute and boy do they have so interesting personalitys. I am playing in level 3 in the program. If you get on the savvy club site let me know what your name is. I am Minilover on there. You will have great results and your horses will appreciate it!! Mine sure have.

outlaw

This is on another subject cause I lost your cell phone number but I have something behind my garage for you so give me a call!

I do use it also. I think I have really learned to understand horses better by doing it.

But since I am creativity challenged I went to a trainer to help me with my TB. I didn't actually purchase the material. Although might have been cheaper.

Also you may want to go to http://www.silverdollarqh.com/

They sell the same quality halters and other tack. But here you can get a halter special made for your mini. The ones that Parelli sells are too big for mine. You just give these guys the measurements and voila, a perfect fit. And looks exactly like the Parelli ones.

I'm slowly working my way through level 1. I've neglected it since I moved earlier this year but need to get back to it.

I don;t use just one persons methods, I like Parelli and Clinton Anderson but I also think I need to learn as much as I can from what ever source is available and if one thing doesn;t work for a horse I want to make sure I have as many other good methods to try as possible.

I just started lessons with my minis and use a mixture of Parelli and other natural horsemanship people. The minis are doing really well and pick it up quickly, but if you think about it they knew it all along and it's us who have to learn it. My mini who was in an accident awhile back and was afraid of everything will go up to the big orange ball that is as large as big horses and mess around with it now no problem, even when it is moving. I watched my instructor do things at liberty with her large horse and am excited to see mine do that someday.

I really like it! I first learned about parelli horse training in 1999 they were not as set up and organized as they are now. I started doing it with my Morab gelding, it worked so well I decided to do my minis. I have only done level one and seen a little of level 2 and 3. When they came out with the level 1 program I had to get it. I have seen a great difference in my horses and seem to understand them better, all the frustration and feeling like my horse was stupid went away. I quickly learned that i was the one that was making my horse act the way he did because I did not understand my horse.

They were in Jacksonville and someone had free tickets, but I was too busy to go. I have heard good things about it, but have not actually heard/seen what they say.

[SIZE=12pt]I was at the seminar in Murfreesboro too. They are very entertaining to watch and make some very good points. I like the natural approach to horsemanship from several different trainers out there. But I have to say that the Parelli products are overpriced and you can use other products and get the same results.
default_yes.gif
:
[/SIZE]

I love to watch it, and would like to try it, but it costs way too much to get started unfortunatly.
default_sad.png

A lot of the methods are really simple and don;t actually NEED all the special equipment. The games are explained pretty well in his book, too. Using equipment you probably already have laying around and reading his book could get you started on the basics without spending all that money. That is my biggest complaint about just about all of these "fad" trainers.... they charge an arm and a leg for everything. I know this is their job and I can't fault them for trying to make money but seriously, hundreds of dollars for a couple of books and some DVD's?
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I guess paying too much for something is all in the eye of the beholder. I have grumbled about the prices of the parelli stuff but I paid it. Everything I have is quality and has lasted for several Years and still looks new. Most of my stuff I got off Ebay or the Savvy Club Forum so I really didn't pay full price. If you want something bad enough you will pay for it. SOme of you pay a small fortune for a mini horse. I will never be one of those. I think it is stupid to pay tons of money for something I can't ride or resell for that price. Just my opinion and yes Parelli stuff is spendy but so is a show harness or any other tack you use. That is how I look at it.

outlaw

I agree with you. It may be pricey but the information is priceless. Also the quality of the tack is great. Mine have been through it all and are in perfect condition. The halters are so soft and flexible unlike most of the rope halters I find at shows. Like me previous post though I have found the tack portion cheaper at another supplier and the quality is exactly the same.

I'd like to play the devil's advocate here for a moment. A friend of the family used to be his farrier. He now has a policy of Parelli trained horses, he won't work with, unless they are Parelli's. He said too many people pick and choose what they want from his programs and end up in trouble. The friend said, you have to use the program in total... or it won't work.

So keep in mind the saying, "if something seems to be too good to be true, it probably is". We have had about seven various trainers to come and work with our one gelding... aka "Horsezilla". A man DIED of a heart attack trying to train him. I have spent hundreds on various types of training for this guy... six without any success and usually creating a dangerous situation with him wanting to kick someone.

Recently, I went out on a limb and took the boy to a local trainer's place for two weeks. After a week I went back to visit.... to make sure no one had DIED or anything really bad... (which I expected... ). Our boy was kissing all over the woman, and couldn't do enough for her. He was standing begging like a dog, and she gave him a dirty look, and he dropped and hung his head. She said she apologized for his poor behavior and he should know, how to behave. A week later we went to bring him home. I hooked him up to a cart to see how he drives... I couldn't believe it was the same horse!

Mag did four miles the first time out. He and I do about five miles a day, I get too busy to spend more time driving. Sometimes he has the two kids and I with him. (That's alot of weight of a mini). He stops at stop signs, he walks on one cluck, trots on two, I don't need to say a word to him, the least little noise and he's good to go. He "HOs" on a dime. I can't get over it. He doesn't mind traffic, full size horses, school buses, or large construction equipment. He even looks both ways at street crosing... it's so funny. Sometimes he grunts when he thinks it's good to go, and waits for the cluck... Lol..

I've looked into training for a long time, to reach this point. I couldn't imagine leaving Horsezilla with anyone , and especially for 90 days as most people have suggested to me. I've heard in hushed tones, the lack of quality in a 30 day wonder. Yet, here is the worst horse I've even been near, showing off something awlful. When he goes in front of large horses, you should see him lift his legs, as if he thinks he's doing some dressage thing or something! It took us a YEAR to even feel comfortable with less then four people to hold him, just to get his hooves done!

This is all from two weeks, with a really good trainer. I'm not sure if Parelli himself could have accomplished this much progress from Horsezilla in the same amount of time. Oh, we don't use a whip either... Our eleven year old drives him, without a problem. Who'd ever guess there was a nice horse under there???

God Bless,

Lynn W

That is such a wonderful story. It certainly give hope to those who have a horse that is difficult, knowing it can be resolved.

The trainer I went to for my TB did about 90% Parelli but she did bring in other teachings from other trainers. Just like children, not every approach works for every horse. For somethings you have to try something different. I though am a whole hearted believer in the program (whether it is for money or not). I think it is a wonderful tool to get people started in interacting and learning how horses think.

I love doing the Parelli games with my bunch- such fun! I have a page on my website of my minis doing some of the first game
default_smile.png

TammieMy Webpage

Just like children, not every approach works for every horse. For somethings you have to try something different. I though am a whole hearted believer in the program (whether it is for money or not). I think it is a wonderful tool to get people started in interacting and learning how horses think.
I completely agree with this.

Like I said, I am working my way through level 1 right now and i think it is fantastic. I won't ever blindly follow just one trainer, though. As far as the equipment I love my parelli halters, they are much more flexible then the other rope halters I had. And I LOVE the ropes. If I could afford it I would have a whole bunch of their ropes in different lengths, They are so soft and flexible and are a good size for my poor handicapped hands to hold onto without cramping up immediately like with my old ropes.

But honestly a lot of people just can't afford to buy the full programs and all the equipment. If I had waited until after I bought my horse I never could have afforded it because all my money went into caring for my horse! But just because someone can't afford the program that doesn't mean they have to miss out on the benefits of the methods. Even just playing the 7 games as described in Parellis books can improve both your horses manners AND the relationship you share.

Well I can honestly say I have had the pleasure of playing with one of those "Horsezilla's" He put 3 trainers in the hospital with broken backs and legs. He is a Dressage horse and is now at the top of his game again. I traveled all summer with this woman working with her and her horse. She and the group of 11 that I went with are now firm believers in Parelli. This horse went from breaking bones to now he ask's to play nicely. He is 17.2hands and normally when he wanted to do something he did it. He LOVED the games!! He draws crowds when we play. I Love playing with him and Parelli was the only reason it was possible. It is such a good feeling when a horse will pick you out of a crowd and come running to greet you. This is one of many experiences I have gotten the pleasure of getting through my parelli journey. This horse just was named 3rd level Champion in our area and the people that know him can't believe it is him.

outlaw

Latest posts

Back