Parasites??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh no not again! :(
I had a crazy thought, it couldn't be your chickens spreading the worms/larvea about when they feed? And then when the horses graze they pick them up?
I am sorry that you are going through this. I never knew pinworms could be so resistant.
I was told pinworms are species specific.
I am not worried about Dapper Dan's health; he is plump and shiney and feisty. But I know they are uncomfortable for him. Someone in an earlier post said that older horses have a harder time with parasites. Maybe that is part of the problem.

Oh no!!! What a pain. And yes, that would be very discouraging after all you went through with it last year.
Hang in there, you guys are going to beat it this time!

Picked up the strongid C today. It is a giant tub. Luckily it has a nice measure inside, with increments for weight. It is a pellet, like the supplement they get, so I think they will gobble it up. Pricey, and I'll have A LOT left over. Hopefully I can give the rest away and never see it again when this 60 days is up.

Finished up the Strongid C. No sign of rubbing or parasites. I think I'll save the remainder--just in case. Supposed to be good shelf life till next March.
I was picking up groomed hair for the trash while they were on the Strongid, so the birds wouldn't use it for nesting. Hopefully we can all get on with our lives now.

Pinworms are back for Dapper Dan. In contact with the vet; everyone is mystified over why we can't get rid of them. We've even had the Oklahoma state veterinary vet in on it. Just gave him a double dose of Exodus and will start him on the Strongid C daily dose in a week.
I keep a close eye on him for signs all the time. Guess that is all I can do.
His fecal samples are all good; remember, pinworms don't show up in fecals.
Midnight has no problems; I guess it is just Dapper Dan's age. Please be alert with your older horses.

No cocci or other bacteria present. She suggested that it could just be all the wet grass causing the problem. She didn't suggest anything. Guess I will just continue the biotics and aloe, since I have them on hand. I do have a somewhat dry lot now and will keep her in it for a few days.
I have alfalfa pellets; no fresh alfalfa hay here for another month or so. She gets 1/4 c every day.
Meanwhile, I think I will take Dapper Dan to the nursing home on Thursday, just in case, instead of Midnight.
Hello, I see this is an old post so you may not see the response. A couple years ago I got some rescue minis and they were loaded with worms. We wormed and wormed finally got rid of them, one of my girls always seemed to have soft or runny poo. I tried multiple things and started using Probios probiotic, and wow what a difference it made. I'm guessing with all the worms and meds to get them gone destroyed her gut flora. They still a year later get probiotics, now I use the treats because it's easier. It has helped so much and I feel like it has also made them feel better.

Ivermectin does not kill pinworms. The Panacur is the one that gets them. You might see one shed after a dose of ivermectin; then you'll know you have them. Any rubbing on the tail is a sign.
I use a prebiotic on my horses. Their supplement contains probiotics, but the prebiotic is a separate thing. Definitely on the regimen for any horse with runny poo!
Dapper Dan has a beautiful coat and he is plump and feisty, so he is in good shape to deal with these little devils. But he will rub his behind; that is the red flag for me. He has a full, heavy tail so I don't know if that contributes to erradicating the pinworms or not.

Ivermectin does not kill pinworms. The Panacur is the one that gets them. You might see one shed after a dose of ivermectin; then you'll know you have them. Any rubbing on the tail is a sign.
I use a prebiotic on my horses. Their supplement contains probiotics, but the prebiotic is a separate thing. Definitely on the regimen for any horse with runny poo!
Dapper Dan has a beautiful coat and he is plump and feisty, so he is in good shape to deal with these little devils. But he will rub his behind; that is the red flag for me. He has a full, heavy tail so I don't know if that contributes to erradicating the pinworms or not.
Thank you, I have not used Panacur before but sounds like maybe I should. Thanks again

Latest posts

Back