Parasites??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stopped by vet to pick up iverectin on Monday. Vet was amazed we were still having trouble. Dosed both Dapper Dan and Midnight with the ivermectin on Monday. Yesterday, more pinworms showed up for DD. This is just too weird. I think in 4 weeks I will do the Exodus again. Will ask the vet for an opinion if that is too soon.
Trying to keep all the manure picked up in the areas they are confined.
I looked back, and the first time the pinworms showed up was when I had the horse Rowdy, two years ago. Someone suggested that because DD is older, he may be more affected by parasites. Anyone have thoughts on that?

Also still having ticks. At least all this varmint trouble is keeping me on my toes grooming and handling them, since we are not doing much driving right now.
Interestingly, we have had zero bot flies this year. Thank goodness for small favors.

He is 23.
Have you considered testing for Cushings? Just a thought to rule sometime out.
My gelding was tested after repeated abscesses wouldn't heal and he was plagued with parasites that didn't seem to go away even with treatment. Once on meds for Cushing's, his other issues started clearing up. [I treated for a few years, then we let him go, he just wasn't happy; but many are quite happy and healthy, once diagnosed and medicated (life long).]

Have you considered testing for Cushings? Just a thought to rule sometime out.
My gelding was tested after repeated abscesses wouldn't heal and he was plagued with parasites that didn't seem to go away even with treatment. Once on meds for Cushing's, his other issues started clearing up. [I treated for a few years, then we let him go, he just wasn't happy; but many are quite happy and healthy, once diagnosed and medicated (life long).]
Something to think about...

I took some suspicious debris to the vet today. he put it under the microscope and it was a dead pinworm but full of viable eggs. i looked in the microscope also and it was plain as day. He thinks dd is reinfecting himself and we ended up speculating it could be the hay bag. i will do the Power Pack on both horses. i will wash the hay bag in hot water. vet gave me a protocol to follow. so, the moral is--maybe we should wash our hay bags once in a while

Well, we are into our Powerpack protocol, per vet advice. Dapper Dan is really annoyed to be confined to the corral. And he doesn't care who knows it.
Of course, the weather turned bad during this time! 50 mph wind that is blowing the carpet up that I laid down to put their hay on. Blowing the hay away, of course. Freezing temps, and the corral has no electricity so I can't use the heated water tub. I put some hay on the ground inside their shelter; no hay bag or tub is allowed.
Pinworms are sticky, gluing themselves to surfaces. And they make a jillion eggs. But worms nor eggs can live long in cold, dry weather. Hopefully all those disgusting critters will bite the cold, blowing dust.

Well, we are into our Powerpack protocol, per vet advice. Dapper Dan is really annoyed to be confined to the corral. And he doesn't care who knows it.
Of course, the weather turned bad during this time! 50 mph wind that is blowing the carpet up that I laid down to put their hay on. Blowing the hay away, of course. Freezing temps, and the corral has no electricity so I can't use the heated water tub. I put some hay on the ground inside their shelter; no hay bag or tub is allowed.
Pinworms are sticky, gluing themselves to surfaces. And they make a jillion eggs. But worms nor eggs can live long in cold, dry weather. Hopefully all those disgusting critters will bite the cold, blowing dust.
Poor guy and yes away with you creepy critters!

This afternoon he is under the weather. called vet. i am to discontinue the panacur till he feels better. older horses can have a hard time with medications. midnight is fine so i will continue hers. what a worry.

I took him for a gentle walk yesterday afternoon and allowed him to nibble grass. Checked him late last night and he seemed fine. This morning he was his old self. Did find pinworm shed this morning. If he is still fine this evening I'll continue the Powerpak. I think instead of washing the old hay bag, I might buy a new one.

Glad he is feeling better. I have had horses not feel well after Panacur which always surprises me as I was always told it was the dewormer that was the most easily tolerated.
I think a new haynet is a good idea!
Did the vet say anything about his buckets or brushes?

Since the eggs have to be ingested, brushes and buckets were not mentioned. hay bag seems the logical culprit. i have seen both horses rubbing on it. He was fine tonight so i dosed him. will check on him at bedtime.

Glad he is feeling better. I have had horses not feel well after Panacur which always surprises me as I was always told it was the dewormer that was the most easily tolerated.
I think a new haynet is a good idea!
Did the vet say anything about his buckets or brushes?
Yes, that is what the vets told me. I've never used Panacur before. Midnight, so far, has not been bothered at all. I'm going to write this down in DD's records, so I'll remember.

I wonder if the pinworms dying off and not the panacur itself are what made him not feel well. I know when a horse has encysted strongyles and they are dewormed there is something about the act of the parasites dying that can make them feel under the weather depending on their worm load.
I get really nervous when I have to deworm them ever since I had the Panacur problem. I know it's silly, but I can'thelp myself, I'm a worry wart.
Hope the handsome fella continues to feel better.

Today was nice weather so I washed Dapper Dan's tail thoroughly and scrubbed all the vaseline off his behind. I feel confident we have purged the parasites now. We are all getting back to normal grazing and shelter options. I have not used the hay bag yet, but it was washed in hot water, detergent and vinegar, and has been hanging in the sun. I cannot imagine anything alive on it. I don't know what it was about the Panacur, but it was hard on Dapper Dan. If no new horses come here, I should not have any more problems. I think it will just be Midnight and Dapper Dan from now on.

Glad to hear that it looks like your parasite troubles are over. Stupid little buggers are such a pain. They could live through the zombie apocalypse, them and cockroaches will be the last critters on earth I imagine.

Comic (my big OTTB riding horse) could not handle Panacur either. Glad that the effects didn't last long for DD and he's feeling better.

Cannot believe this--they're back. I immediately took away the hay bag and dosed with Exodus. My horses haven't been anywhere, and no new horses have come to me. Stopped by the vet today and he told me he had consulted the state vet about my "case" back in January. The state vet suggested Strongid C for 60 days. So, vet is ordering me that for both horses. Vet said there must have been eggs surviving in the gut all this time, even through the Powerpak. The 60 day treatment should (hopefully) get those little monsters through a whole cycle. And since it is hot and dry now, the eggs should not be able to survive once they are shed. Midnight had no shed, but Dapper Dan (he'll be 24 in August) is still struggling. I was worried about the dewormer, since Dapper Dan reacted to the Panacur, but vet said this is used for foals, so it should be fine for him.
It is difficult not to use the hay bag, as I'm trying to keep them in the dry lot for weight control half day. Any other method of feeding hay is just a mess. But no more hay bag.
I certainly appreciate my vets working so hard with me.

Don't you just get totally discouraged sometimes?

Oh no not again! :(
I had a crazy thought, it couldn't be your chickens spreading the worms/larvea about when they feed? And then when the horses graze they pick them up?
I am sorry that you are going through this. I never knew pinworms could be so resistant.

Latest posts

Back