Parasites??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spoke to the vet this morning about what wormer she recommends for the spring dose. I know Buckly will have bots, as he was covered with eggs when I got him last fall and I couldn't get them all off. She asked if I felt I had cleared up the pinworms. I think so, but couldn't say for sure. She said she recommends the 5 day power pack for both horses. She will order it for me and calculate the dosage for my two miniatures. Dapper Dan has never done the power pack, so that is what I was thinking he needed. Buckly for sure, as his past parasite regimen is shady.

As an aside, an emergency delivery van driver came while I was at the vet to "pick up the head". Helper brought out a big box labeled "rabies". They said it was a coyote.

There was a "thing" a while back regarding it. Some horses got sores in their mouths. I think it was from the other ingredients not the actual wormer. I have used it in the past with no problems. Now I use Equimax instead and never had a problem. It's apple flavor too!

There was a "thing" a while back regarding it. Some horses got sores in their mouths. I think it was from the other ingredients not the actual wormer. I have used it in the past with no problems. Now I use Equimax instead and never had a problem. It's apple flavor too!
That's what I heard. I mentioned it to the vet and she said to administer it right before feeding. That's what I did.

I have also heard about mouth sores from the zimectrin gold. My vet has recommended it but I won't use it because my three react to everything under the sun and I don't want to chance it.

That was interesting about the rabies, I wonder if the coyote had attacked anyone/thing and what the results of the testing on it will show.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm wishing I hadn't administered the Zgold now. Just hate second-guessing vets and coming across like I know more than they do. Hopefully the Zgold won't cause any problems and we can move on.

I didn't like to ask about the coyote; didn't know if it was something they couldn't comment on.

Finally saw shed bots yesterday. Poor guy had quite a few. None today so hopefully he shed them all. I've heard that bots don't really cause that much damage, but anything that big and that numerous can't be good. If birds can't use ivermectin hair in their nests, good thing I picked up those disgusting critters before the chickens came over on their regular rounds!

Sounds like both boys came through OK with no mouth sores? Maybe I will get brave and use it at some point.

Bots are odd looking things. I remember having a horse full of them years ago.

I also remember their legs having bots eggs on them every summer, but it has been years since I have seen that. I wonder if I don't have bot flys anymore, or if the bug spray works well enough to keep them at bay.

(I don't use it heavily, I would think a few bugs would get through it???)

I did not have bot flies for many years. Then our nearest neighbor brought in some rescue horses. Ever since, I get a few bot eggs on Dapper Dan. I keep them clipped off and he is clean of bots. Buckly came to me covered with bot eggs. I couldn't get them all off, partly because of his hair color and partly because he wasn't used to being handled so it was hard to work with him. This fall no bot eggs will be allowed!

Do not notice any problems with their mouths. They are eating their hay and grain as usual.

Sounds like both boys came through OK with no mouth sores? Maybe I will get brave and use it at some point.

Bots are odd looking things. I remember having a horse full of them years ago.

I also remember their legs having bots eggs on them every summer, but it has been years since I have seen that. I wonder if I don't have bot flys anymore, or if the bug spray works well enough to keep them at bay.

(I don't use it heavily, I would think a few bugs would get through it???)
Its funny you say that , summer is on the way out here ( unfortunately) and we had no bot flys this year. No eggs visible on legs. First year I can remember not seeing them around....

I hope that is not a negative sign for the bug population in general. That would be bad.
Its funny you say that , summer is on the way out here ( unfortunately) and we had no bot flys this year. No eggs visible on legs. First year I can remember not seeing them around....
I hope it is not a bad sign for the bug population in general. That would be bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had Midnight fecal tested and she came up clean. Yesterday I saw tell-tale grains of rice. I think that is tapeworm, which does not show up in fecal counts. I dosed her with pyrantel pamoate today and will give another in a week. She came from a sale last October, so I have no idea of her history.

Don't forget pyrantel pamoate is a double dose by weight to get tapes.

Midnight has always had very soft poop. Lately it has sometimes been explosive diarrhea. I started her on prebiotic and she's been on it two days. Last night I decided to try aloe, as it worked well on a big rescue horse my sister got. I am not sure what is causing the problem but it cannot be good. I think I will also take a sample in. When I had the fecal done in March, it was soft but not like a cow patty.
Anyone have this happen, and what could be the cause? Could the tape worm have caused it?

Tested for sand in the gut?
Stomach ulcers? Hind gut ulcers?
Allergy to a feed ingredient? Alfalfa, Timothy, oats, etc; horses can be allergic to common diet ingredients, as well as less common ones.
I'm sure there are other possibilities.

No cocci or other bacteria present. She suggested that it could just be all the wet grass causing the problem. She didn't suggest anything. Guess I will just continue the biotics and aloe, since I have them on hand. I do have a somewhat dry lot now and will keep her in it for a few days.
I have alfalfa pellets; no fresh alfalfa hay here for another month or so. She gets 1/4 c every day.
Meanwhile, I think I will take Dapper Dan to the nursing home on Thursday, just in case, instead of Midnight.

Latest posts

Back