Paralyzed Dachshund

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MajorClementine

Reaction score
Tuesday morning my mini Dachshund, Hank, and I went out to feed the horses like we always do. He hopped over the bottom rail of the panel like he always does. Except this time he started yelping and dragging a back leg. I didn't see what had happened but I figured he'd got his foot caught or something. He walked back to the house under his own power and went in to lay down. He is kind of a wimp usually so when he spent the day laying down I figured he was just being wimpy after being hurt. However, by evening I knew this was not the case. When I got him up his back feet drug behind him a little and when his toes rolled under (so his pads were facing up) he didn't realize it. Uh-oh that's bad news. It means there is a nerve problem. The next morning I took him to the vet as soon as they opened and was informed Hank has IVDD. It's a common disease of the spine that effects dogs like dachshunds and corgis.

As of right now Hank is paralyzed in his back legs. We are doing conservative therapy with steroids and strict crate rest. He gets carried out to go potty and is otherwise in his kennel for the next 6-8 weeks. I don't have the money for a surgical option ($4000-$5000) so I am really hoping that this option works for him. So far I haven't seen any improvement but it's only been 2 full days of meds.

If this does not work and he is indeed paralyzed for good I'll be getting him a cart for his back end. He's such an active and full of life little guy I think he'll adjust fine. Thank goodness he's not overweight, that would make this whole situation a lot more difficult. It breaks my heart to know that weather the meds work or not Hank will never be able to play "chase" with the big dogs or tear around the house like a crazy man. And there is a good chance I will never see his tail wag again...CIMG2747.JPG

I feel for you. That really stinks. BUT, I can tell you-don't despair. You may never see his tail wag again BUT he can run and play with the others. I have a friend who has a mini dachshund with the same problem. Little Gretchen has a wheelchair, and she does wear a little "diaper". But she will run up/down her ramp to go in and out, she chases the others and seems like she never knew any different. First time I ever met her, I was totally amazed.....personally, I always said I would never "subject my dog to a wheelchair life". And then I met Gretchy. She changed my life and mind forever. The only thing she cant do, is wag and tell when she has to go potty and also, she needs help on the couch. So, don't despair....your little guy will do just fine if it comes down to it. I will say a little healing prayer for him!

I am so sorry to learn of Hank's problems. Yes, this is a very common breed problem, and I am glad you are giving him a chance at a great life by offering him the little cart!
default_thumbup.gif
Best wishes to both of you. He's a sweet looking little guy!

Thanks guys. I wasn't sure about the cart option but my 2 year old son said to me yesterday "Hank can't walk. Hank can't run. Get him a wheel chair." My son saw it as the obvious answer since we have a good friend who is in a wheel chair. I've explained to my son why our friend is in a wheelchair so he figured it's the same for Hank. And he is right
default_smile.png

I remember seeing a dog named Tonka on tv once, who was in a wheelchair. You would never know that dog had any issues by the way it ran after a ball and zoomed all over the place. I hope your dog does overcome this but if not, a wheelchair is definately the way to go. Sending healing thoughts for Hank.

You didn't mention it, but I hope you are expressing his bladder as well.

Good luck.

Dr. Taylor

Don't Give up the ship yet,

We have a mini dachshund Dasher. He hurt his back and was also paralyzed. We had to hold him up to pee & poop. I really didnt think he was going to make it, so much so that I made my husband take him to the vet alone. I couldnt handle it if they were going to put him down. Well 2 weeks later with some prednisone & tramadol and Ta Da !! Back to walking on his own. This all happened at the ripe old age of 13. He's 15 now and I havent had any more problems. Here's hoping the same happens for you!

Alison

default_thumbup.gif

Thank you Dr Taylor, I am as best I can with the help of youtube. My vet didn't say anything about that which kind of frustrated me when I looked up IVDD online and found out Hank would need help. He actually was able to pee on his own today so that is a step forward. I'm not sure how to tell if his bladder is totally empty but he peed for a long time. I'm going back in on Monday (vet taking a long weekend off) to pick up the remainder of his meds and will ask for some help in this area.

Alison- that gives me so much hope for Hank! We're sticking to strict crate rest during his 4 weeks of prednisone and hopefully that will do the trick
default_smile.png

Thank you Dr Taylor, I am as best I can with the help of youtube. My vet didn't say anything about that which kind of frustrated me when I looked up IVDD online and found out Hank would need help. He actually was able to pee on his own today so that is a step forward. I'm not sure how to tell if his bladder is totally empty but he peed for a long time. I'm going back in on Monday (vet taking a long weekend off) to pick up the remainder of his meds and will ask for some help in this area.

Alison- that gives me so much hope for Hank! We're sticking to strict crate rest during his 4 weeks of prednisone and hopefully that will do the trick
default_smile.png
I hope he's getting better, but they will void urine without actually consciously controlling it. Manually void whether he urinates or not until you see the Vet again.

Dr. Taylor

I'm sorry for you and Hank. Hoping the meds work for him.

Just last week I saw info on a Doc named Jasper who had paralysis, wheels and was given some xperimental injections to regenerate. It worked as he was later able to walk without the wheels. These injections were cells from (?) his nose (?) or maybe some stem cells.........ANYWAY.......there is some working medical research for these animals. Search the net........best of luck for you both. Keep us updated, we care.

Hey there. I had a great German shepherd that sadly developed dm and gradually lost the use of his hind legs. I got him a wheel chair made by "eddies wheels" (think that's how you spell it) . Anyway ...eddies wheels were awesome. Easy to get him in and out of. The first day he took off at a run and he was so happy to go for a run again with me. He used his wheels right up to the end. When his tail got numb we propped his tail out of the way. When his stride got longer they substituted the back kick bar for me. It had little straps where you could elevate the hind feet so they wouldn't drag. They make models with front wheels if the front legs weaken. They custom build every chair and give you phone support. I love them. They helped my boy live with dignity to the end. We had to express his bladder too as Dr Taylor advised. Its a bit of dedication if the bladder needs expressing and you cannot forget ever. For quite a while my boy could pee and poop when he went outside. He wore a diaper in the house. Had to keep him clean too...but everyone agreed his quality of life was good. He could zoom in the house in his wheels and even bump down a small step to go outside. They have testimonials on their web site. Expensive in some ways..but considering the construction and design I was very impressed. My boy weighed 90 lbs. Easier and cheaper for the little guys. Lots of dachunds on their web pages. Best wishes.

Ps. I had a. Chinese crested that I almost put down due to a spinal injury. Nothing was working for pain .. somebody told me to try traumeel as a last ditch before putting him down. Freaky..it actually worked.. it was a sudden onset like you described. I figured he got knocked by my collie. Best wishes to you for some answers and help.. Ps. For my shepherd I thought leaking pee ment.my boy was empty then my vet drained a ton of pee out of my boy. Enlightening experience. Worth an emergency call if you think he is filling up and you don't know how to get him to express it. Tricky at first then easy once you know

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so sorry, I really feel for you. I think the little cart will work well.

We had a French Bulldog - my soul mate. She ruptured a disc in her back when she was 3. Frenchies have back problems too. We DID opt to do the surgery, and it cost $4000 a few years ago. She lived happy and active for 4 years until she got cancer and we to put her down.

OMG, I am just now reading this. I have a dachshund Grace that work up one morning paralized. It has been almost 2 years now. She does have a cart and we did conservative treatment. We did acupuncture for Grace which helped her tremendously. There is way to much to write here, maybe I can chat with you by e-mail or by phone. Please let me know I can give you lots of good info and some web sites where to get help. We have been through so much with Grace but she is happy and loving and just needs some extra care. I hope I can be of some help!!

Could we have an update on little Hank? How is he feeling? Is he adjusting well to bedrest? Is he dying of boredom? Is there any improvement? He's been in our prayers, hope he's doing well...Julie

Latest posts

Back